PDA

View Full Version : do you like my build?

Braveheart
03-01-2008, 11:31 PM
i can't believe i am doing this, i am the one who tells people what PC parts to get lol. any way, i have a Coolermaster mystique, AMD athlon 64 X2 6000 which were obtained (legally) for no cost to me. and i also bought a OCZ gamexstream 700W PSU, a 250GB sata barracuda, and i have a keyboard and a monitor. so i just need to buy board, RAM, obtical, and GPU. well i know that i am getting the 512MB 8800 GTS but i need to know what you think about the rest: http://www.clubit.com/shoppingcart_main.cfm

SgtM
03-01-2008, 11:51 PM
The shopping cart is empty (for us anyway). It works off of cookies stored locally on your computer. Try typing out the rest of the list. Someone will be glad to give feedback.

chaksq
03-02-2008, 02:05 AM
My new system is using the 6000+ as well, good chip. I haven't gotten around to overclocking yet but I'm still using the factory cooler so I can't say anything about that yet. I am using it on a MSI board which is absolutely great, I'd recommend them. My board (K9A2) support CrossFire though for my ATi GPU so if your going with a nVidia card you might want to look at a different model.

Braveheart
03-02-2008, 12:03 PM
ok, and yes i am going to get a gigabyte DS3 MA770 board.

BerticusPryme
03-02-2008, 12:17 PM
I would go with a 512mb 8800gt instead of the gts. but everything else look good

Ap1thy
03-02-2008, 03:54 PM
newegg has a nice deal on some teem xtreem ram, which would probably be better than the ocz gold

Braveheart
03-02-2008, 07:43 PM
sorry about the link, i am planing on getting this board: http://www.clubit.com/product_detail.cfm?itemno=CA4830729 with this http://www.clubit.com/product_detail.cfm?itemno=CA4308035 (4 sticks of it)
oh and i was wandering how far i will be able to OC my 6000 X2 with a nice after market air cooler and that board and ram.

NightrainSrt4
03-02-2008, 10:56 PM
Don't have a lot of experience with the newer amd chips and overclocking but the board looks decent, as the chip is going to top out before the board. The ram, ya you can prob do better, but if its a decent price it should be fine. The OCZ gold seem to overclock relatively well. Probably be able to get 150mhz out of those if not more (so up to 950Mhz-ish).

No one can tell you exactly what you can get out of a setup as every chip and piece of hardware is different. But don't expect to see much at all. I wouldn't even invest in nice overclocking ram as the 6000+ is already reaching close to its max point. Most people I have seen are lucky to hit 3.2Ghz on a decent cooling system Edit: Some people have reached close to 3.3Ghz on air. But again don't expect to go much farther, if you hit that at all. If you were looking to have "huge" overclocking numbers you would have been better off with a 3600+ x2 and overclocking that.

Edit: Not to mention your going to ~1.55-1.6V to get 3.1-3.2Ghz stable. Doable, but not a noticeable increase.

Braveheart
03-03-2008, 01:52 AM
Don't have a lot of experience with the newer amd chips and overclocking but the board looks decent, as the chip is going to top out before the board. The ram, ya you can prob do better, but if its a decent price it should be fine. The OCZ gold seem to overclock relatively well. Probably be able to get 150mhz out of those if not more (so up to 950Mhz-ish).

No one can tell you exactly what you can get out of a setup as every chip and piece of hardware is different. But don't expect to see much at all. I wouldn't even invest in nice overclocking ram as the 6000+ is already reaching close to its max point. Most people I have seen are lucky to hit 3.2Ghz on a decent cooling system Edit: Some people have reached close to 3.3Ghz on air. But again don't expect to go much farther, if you hit that at all. If you were looking to have "huge" overclocking numbers you would have been better off with a 3600+ x2 and overclocking that.

Edit: Not to mention your going to ~1.55-1.6V to get 3.1-3.2Ghz stable. Doable, but not a noticeable increase.

yeah, i thought so:mad:

NightrainSrt4
03-03-2008, 10:33 AM
Don't be sad or anything, the 6000+ is a great chip at the prices some of them are going for. Just don't expect to overclock much as the Windsor chips all tend to top out around the 3.1-3.2Ghz mark.

Great chip otherwise, and you can squeeze a little bit more out of it, but whether or not that extra little bit is worth and increased Vcore and possibly heat and loss of warranty is up to you my friend :D (I tend to think it is, at least for experimental purposes, as I am always curious. But all risk is on you :smoker:).

Edit: Was doing a bit of research for you and those OCZ ram should be fine as ALL DDR2-800 only gets run at 750Mhz on the 6000+. So your memory is going to run underclocked with the stock 6000+. This is because it has a funky divider(and 15x multiplier). So looks like you should have plenty of overhead with the ram for what the chip can handle.

Braveheart
03-03-2008, 05:09 PM
Don't be sad or anything, the 6000+ is a great chip at the prices some of them are going for. Just don't expect to overclock much as the Windsor chips all tend to top out around the 3.1-3.2Ghz mark.

Great chip otherwise, and you can squeeze a little bit more out of it, but whether or not that extra little bit is worth and increased Vcore and possibly heat and loss of warranty is up to you my friend :D (I tend to think it is, at least for experimental purposes, as I am always curious. But all risk is on you :smoker:).

Edit: Was doing a bit of research for you and those OCZ ram should be fine as ALL DDR2-800 only gets run at 750Mhz on the 6000+. So your memory is going to run underclocked with the stock 6000+. This is because it has a funky divider(and 15x multiplier). So looks like you should have plenty of overhead with the ram for what the chip can handle.

thanks for the RAM info, i knew most of it but thanks any way.

TheGreatSatan
03-09-2008, 04:35 PM
I have the 6000+ in my sig. It's GREAT!!

What heatsink are you using?

slytherock
03-09-2008, 06:16 PM

better have it in your comp than in your sig... :D

Braveheart
03-11-2008, 05:59 PM

is it in a computer as well?:lick: