PDA

View Full Version : how to make a touch switch

gablekevin
09-30-2005, 01:24 AM
i was wondering how i would go about making one of those touch switches that you see mostly used with lamps where you touch them and it turns on. I need to know what i need to wire it up and how to wire it up thank you its for an upcoming mod project.

Zeus
09-30-2005, 09:52 AM
what is the purpose for it? Power, reset, or lighting? Just curious of the intended application.

Zeus
10-03-2005, 08:20 AM
Hey, I came accross this. I think this is exactly what you are looking for.

Clicky the Linky (http://www.xoxide.com/vl-system-touch-one.html)

gablekevin
10-03-2005, 08:46 PM
thanks alot zeus youve really helped me out with past questions ive had im not exactly sure though if this is what i can use.
although im not counting it out yet i need to know what you think this is what i need basically i want a touch switch to turn on a pair of 4" blue cold cathode lights and possibly EL wire.
Im going to have a wooden case with the guts from an aluminum case(drive bays motherboard area,etc.)And for the side window im going to cut a hole out of the wood and put metal symbol that i will cut out and back it with clear acrylic/lexan so that it will be a really unique window.
i want to have it so that you can touch the metal on the symbol and the interior blue cold cathode lights and EL wire will turn on and off.
I really need some help with this if you can help thank you.

Crimson Sky
10-03-2005, 10:27 PM
They are called "membrane switches", "touch Sensor Switches" and others. They are pricey--about $60. Just do a google search for those terms. You can also find the schematics on several sites to make your own. You could probably even canibalize the type made for home use.

gablekevin
10-04-2005, 01:20 AM
wait i think i found something thats easy to wire up and will work im not sure though you guys tell me.Click here (http://www.djandassoc.com/Faraday/faraday-n.html)

Zeus
10-04-2005, 11:11 AM
looks like what Crim was talking about

gablekevin
10-04-2005, 02:22 PM
yeah but there called faraday switches yeah it sucks though that they are so expensive the only thing is i tried looking for those membrane switches but only found stuff that was used for keypads and what not. If anybody knows anyone that has some faraday switches for cheap i'll buy them, or if you know of a site that shows you how to make one thats fairly understandable that would be great to. thanks alot though

Azoxy
10-04-2005, 05:42 PM
What about buying one of those cheap lamps that turn on when you touch the metal and then just hack it for your use? You probably thought about that already but just thought I would throw it in anyway...

gablekevin
10-05-2005, 01:31 AM
well yeah actually i have thought about it and am still thinking about it as long as this faraday switch costs $50.00 but thank you though for the input azoxy. If anyone knows how to hack one of those touch lamps that would be awesome and cheap

crazybillybob
10-05-2005, 03:09 PM
Here is a site to get a Kit that is a simple touch switch..Touch switch (http://www.electronics123.com/s.nl/sc.8/category.36/it.A/id.371/.f)
It costs like $7.00us plus shipping (when there in stock)

Also on this page is a link to a PDF doc that explains how the switch works and has a schematic drawing of the circuit (so you can order the parts and make your own with out buying a kit!)

The only thing is your going to need 12Vdc to the switch even when the PC's off. So you'll have to figure out how to get it (a simple transformer and 5 components will do it a full wave bridge rectifier, 3 filter caps and a 12V regulator) at one time you could have gotten all this @ the mall (Radio Shack) but I'm not sure now...Most RS have cut there "Geek" section back to some resistors, LEDs, and Solder. But places like Mouser, Digi-key, and Jemco are still on the net so it's not hard to find this stuff.

Good Luck!
Crazybillybob

gablekevin
10-05-2005, 04:02 PM
oh cool thanks billy bob your awesome im still a real noob at this stuff so i dont quite understand everything so i have a couple questions.
1. How come i need a 12v power source when the computer is off because i only plan to turn the lights on when the computer is on.
2. So the plate pin means i can solder a wire to the back of the metal symbol on the side window and that will act as the place where i touch to turn it on.
3.It says a device can be turned on or turned off temporarily but i want it to act as a momentary switch.
im sure these are some real noob questions but what can i say im a noob bu thank you once again billy bob

crazybillybob
10-05-2005, 05:57 PM
Ok first I thought you wanted to use this as a power switch for the PC (I think my threads are getting mixed up in my Head....To much input!) So if that's not the case don't worry about it.

As for #2 Yes you could use any metal badge / plate you wanted. Just remember the computer case is connected to Ground so make sure that your plate is isolated from the case. A thin peice of plastic or rubber behind it will do nicely.

#3 From reading the discription on how the circuit works the best you'll get is a 1 sec. delay , That is pretty fast, but long enough to be able to take in the glory of your mod! much faster and you'll not get a good look. Also what kind of lighting are you going to switch ? (sorry if I'm asking and you posted it I missed it). If it CCL you may want that 5 sec delay, as it takes time for the CCL power supply to get up the voltage to light the tube.

Hope this helps out!

Crazybillybob

gablekevin
10-05-2005, 06:57 PM
1. i am using it for lighting and im driving hopefully a pair of 4" CCFL's and some EL wire.
2. no worries because the case will be wood and the symbol is metal.
3.im still kind of confused when you say delay what exactly is that in relation to the switch is that time between actually turning on or is it time it stays on.
and i guess a simple question to end all questions.
4.Is this switch going to do what i want it to do?