PDA

View Full Version : Wireless Lan Access Point

Zephik
03-05-2008, 03:46 AM
Could someone please explain what they are and what they are used for? I keep trying to learn about them, but when I read something like wikipedia it just goes right over my head. Its like some kind of weird mental block thats preventing me from understanding what the heck they are. ><

Anyways, I usually just say F it, its not something I need to know, but its driving me nuts now. lol

Appreciate the deliberate dumbing down so my tiny brain can understand. :p

si-skyline
03-05-2008, 09:52 AM
wireless access points are bits of equipment what allow laptops and other wireless brand products to connect to it. you can just get the access point by its self what then needs to connect to a router or switch thu network cable such as this one dabs.com - wireless access point (http://www.dabs.com/productview.aspx?Quicklinx=2D12&SearchType=1&CategorySelectedId=11178&SearchTerms=wireless&PageMode=3&SearchKey=All&SearchMode=All&NavigationKey=11178,50468)

this one would normally be used in a enviroment were you all ready have a router or switch in a network and want to add a wireless point. or even make ANOTHER wireless point in a differant location

normally what is bought now is wireless routers what have the wireless point built in. and can look like this one, notice that they look the same but the front is differant, if you google both model numbers hyou would get lots of differant information about them dabs.com - wireless router (http://www.dabs.com/productview.aspx?Quicklinx=2CM7&SearchType=1&CategorySelectedId=11177&SearchTerms=wireless&PageMode=3&SearchKey=All&SearchMode=All&NavigationKey=11177,50468)

with a wireless point you also need your device to have a wireless card, what can be a pci - for computers, PCMCIA - for laptops and usb for both
this is normally used to make a new network with wireless.. these boxes normally come with 4 ports on the back too..

wireless also comes in 4 differant protocols called;
802.11a - 54mb/s - \
802.11b - 11mb/s - - - range ~35m
802.11g - 54mb/s - /
802.11 draft N - 74mb/s - range ~70m

each one has there advantages but mainly when newer protocols come out the better the wireless will be. the latest at the moment is draft n. unforunatly this is not yet fully finished and is very expensive for something that might not work when the protocol fully comes out.

i hope that helped you understand it more..

Zephik
03-05-2008, 11:12 AM
Hmmm, so... is it like making your pc/laptop into a "point" that can be connected to by other wireless devices? and that pc/laptop w/ access point connects to a router? So it kind of works like a rangebooster? or no?

Router sends signal to PC w/ Access Point, then people can connect to the Access Point?

See! lol I can't figure out why this is so confusing, its so weird. Its like some kind of really weird mental block or something...

Maybe if we put it this way...

Lets say I need an Access Point device, why would I need one? What would I use it for?

billygoat333
03-05-2008, 07:33 PM
i think he already answered your question... if you have a network already in place but want to add wireless to it, you can use one of these.