PDA

View Full Version : Ne Nor Ne Nor Noob alert

Ascoates
10-03-2005, 03:28 PM
Hello everyone.

Right well basically I have never modded a case in any shape or form.

The most I've done is build a few for family.

Im currently getting parts for my new computer and after finding these forums I wouldn't mind having a go at some serious modding. When I first get my case I am going to just do basic lighting and cable tidying.

I was wondering if anyone can give me some help with my idea.

The first thing I want to do is raise the case off the floor with space for storing my games.

The next part is the hardest part. I play a game known as Warhammer 40,000 which am sure some people on here have heard of. I would like to create a 3D war scene on the side of the case with the clear side panel. I was thinking of making it so that there is am army on either side cover around 1/3 of the panel each and then in the middle some explosions or maybe a building they could be fighting over although am not to sure.

I have had one idea which is at the end of each gun or maybe select guns make holes so that light can shine through as if the guns are firing.

Like I said above I would like to make this kind of like the Doom3 one on here which by the way is awesome and gave me the idea for raising the case and creating storage space.

I was just wondering how a complete beginner would go about this, I mean I know its far fetched for a beginner but am the type of person that likes to go straight to the hardest part.

I hope I have explained my idea clearly enough, if not I hope to have some concept sketches up soon if college work doesnt get in the way.

Anyones help would be greatly appreciated.

Please let me know what you think. If you think I should just shut the hell up now then feel free to tell me to do so :p.

Well thats all I can think of for now.

crazybillybob
10-03-2005, 04:04 PM
First Off Welcome to TBCS! :D

Second this post is a little more suited to the Rookies Nook, that's not a big thing though.

Well first off you'll want to get a solid plan especially with the scale of case you want to build.

1st Get some pics that you'd use as a guide. Arrange them in a way you'd like to see them on your case.

Prep your case.
Start building up the case (to get the 3D texture), If you use bondo do so in a very well vented area (and use a good quality mask, not the $0.99 type from the big box stores). If your going to build up an area alot (more than 1/2") use some wood, or foam screwed or glued to the case to help save on weight.
If you want lights in the guns I'd look into ultra bright LEDs and hide the wires and all in the filler.

This should give you some thing to think about, and it will lead to more q's...Such is the life of a case modder... Good Luck and ask away...We'll help where we can! (oh, when you get some drawings ready post pics...We all like to see what your thinking ...that will get you input.!)

Crazybillybob

Ascoates
10-03-2005, 05:36 PM
Cheers m8 thats awesome nice and quick reply aswell.

As for the Bondo am from the UK and am not sure if we sell anything like that although am sure I could find something that matches my needs if I look hard enough. I already have two images for the battle scene so am getting somewhere.

I was thinking to raise the case of the floor would you use Polysytrene or make a wooden base covered in some sort of foam?

Again thanks for the help and quick replies. I'll start on the drawing's ASAP.

If I were to use Bondo would I just layer it in stages as in put some on, let it dry then add more till I have the look I desire?

Also Crazybillybob have yu got any modded case pictures on these here super forums?

Rankenphile
10-03-2005, 10:48 PM
That sounds awesome. As a fellow 40k player, I'm really interested in seeing what you do with it. As for the bottom storage area, good heavy styrene may be a good idea for it, as long as it is properly reinforced. If you have access to aluminum, I would recommend that, at least for the outer shell, to provide strength and keep weight down (versus wood, anyway).

You can find bondo in a lot of places, it is basically the American brand name for auto body filler putty - an epoxy plaster-type stuff that dries very hard and is sand-able. Take a look at Defyant's HPRes3 mod, he uses a lot of bondo to VERY good effect to create very smooth curves. It's the same stuff CrimsonSky uses around the top of the Doom3 mod, and what he built the rocks out of. It's useful stuff, and dries much more rigidly than plaster.

Another good source would be to watch the Alien Fossil Mouse video on the front page of this site, as they use bondo in it to create the texture for a lot of it.

As a side note, you gave me a hell of an idea for a case mod - actually building a full catwalk-style set of walkways around the case, similar to a Necromunda game layout, with actual painted models fighting along the catwalk. You could even run them through holes in the case on areas inside and outside, with your cables housed in the shower tubing and painted to look like rusted old industrial piping and... oh jeezus, you're getting me down a VERY dangerous path, my friend! lol this could get expensive.

Here's some pics of Necromunda catwalks and such, as a reference to what I mean. IT could work out well, with Space Marines fighting Tyranids or something.

http://www.terragenesis.co.uk/quickies/images/inspire.jpg

http://www.terragenesis.co.uk/quickies/images/fight1.jpg

Above taken from Greg Hojek's site (http://www.terragenesis.co.uk/quickies/greg2FP.html)

http://rankenphile.com/images/wh/catwalk.jpg

http://rankenphile.com/images/wh/hulkfull.jpg

http://rankenphile.com/images/wh/hulkwall.jpg

http://rankenphile.com/images/wh/bulk1e.jpg

Above 4 images taken from IronHands Necromundicon (http://www.ironhands.com/necro.htm) and rehosted.

Just a couple reference photos for ideas... hope they can help inspire ya.

As another side note, In about 6 months or so, hopefully sooner, I'm going to be starting a pretty epic 40k mod. I'm definately going to be posting it up here, if I can ever get started. I don't want to say too much about it yet, because I'm still in extremely early planning stages, but I have a clear vision for what I want with it, and, if successful, it will be pretty cool (in my oh-so-humble opinion :p ).

Post your drawings and whatever else you do up here, I'm excited to find out more about this one.

Ascoates
10-04-2005, 05:09 AM
Wow what an idea that is.

I wasn't thinking of something on such a large scale but maybe in time, I was already thinking about making the bottom of it kinda of platormy with some Imperial Guard men around it.

The battle scene that I was thinking of doing was going to be on the clear side panel but after looking at that I am now thinking of maybe incorporating the entire tower into the project.

Not in such a scale as the Doom3 case but maybe adding a paint job to the case and maybe the Imperial eagle logo to the front of the case. What I might do is try and make the tower look like an Imperial building or something, like I said not to much detail but maybe so pipes here and there and maybe so sort of metal work on the outside.

For the ground I was thinking about making it either a Jungle or city scape with Imperial Guard on one side and Orks on the other. I do have some veichles and stuff like that at home but for this project I was thinking of new models so I can try and incorporate them into the design, for the base I will probably just use strong foam as its easier for me to come by.

For the actualy city scape I might see if my step dad can make a plastic molding that I fill with Bondo or a substitute.

I will start on images as soon as possible and get them up here.

http://img390.imageshack.us/img390/2097/antecplusview1000amg8pk.jpg

This is the case that I am hoping to mod, as you can see the case is pretty big (file server case). My idea for the window I think will have to go out of the window (ironoy) due to its sheer size :(. So I was thinking of maybe instead of going for a full outer case mod ( too much messing about for first mod) I might just mod round the bottom, raise it so much. The thing is i dont know if you can tell from looking at the case but the side panel swings open and if i remember correctly it takes up the entire side of the case.

So im guessing am going to have to some pretty accurate measuring unless i be cheap and just make it as if that section is a trench of maybe some rubble, something simple to create on it.

Lol my idea has again changed...

I was thinking as I have such a large case, with a large front i was thinking of maybe doing something like this.

http://img204.imageshack.us/img204/2262/this2dm.gif

or this

http://img218.imageshack.us/img218/39/this22nq.gif

On the case just below the front door the little solid looking plastic section is where my USB and sound is hidden so i would obviously need to make that section accessible.

The first of the images will only take up a small section of the front of the case in an attempt not to stretch it.

I would really like the the front of my case to look like the second one but I personally dont have the skills to accomplish this design. I mean it would be absolutely awesome if I could.

If I was to have the front of my case like this I would try and make it so the USB and sound port cover are where the what looks like you to just be concrete poles but are infact statues are and then for the door I would probably try and add to the design myself to add my own little touch.

Well thats what I kind of have for now, I was thinking of maybe a battle scene around the bottom of the tower with maybe just one army looking as if it's moving forward. If I was to do this I would like to try and make behind it as hollow but as strong as possible and then have LED's behind there but then with that comes the added job of working out the correct resistance unless I just run a cable through the front of the case somewhere, but am not to sure as I am still a NOOB when it comes to this. I would hope that this creates an effect that makes it look as if the guns are shooting.

Also if I was to add something like this to the front where I think I have a 120mm fan would I need to make more openings for cooling or would it be ok as it is?

Thanks in advance for any help I receive.

Rankenphile
10-04-2005, 11:49 AM
Looks good man.

For the base, consider using Cintra. It is a very strong PVC plastic that is available at sign shops. I use it all the time when I make models for Warhammer, it is cheap and very durable, easy to glue and cut, and just plain awesome. Go to a couple local sign shops and ask them for their scraps, a lot of the time you can get a bunch for practically nothing - I got an entire stack for $5 and only had to drive around for about 15 minutes.

Good luck with this, I can't wait to see what comes out of it.

Ascoates
10-04-2005, 11:55 AM
Thanks I know where some sign shops are so I'll take a look. Ill try and do some concept designs as soon as possible then ill post them here.

I just hope I have the funding to complete this project and hope that I havent got my head to deep in something I can't do.

I was thinking of maybe buying a cheap second hand case and using that as practice or something. Thing is i don't have money to burn with me being a student and all.

Ohh well im sure someone has an old case they dont want or need somewhere which I suppose I could "borrow". *evil laugh*

Ascoates
10-05-2005, 04:25 AM
I have been thinking about how I am going to raise the case and i was thinking of making an aluminium shell with a kind of support beam dircetly under either side of the case. I will then fill the gabs which arent going to be use with Polystyrene then use bondo if i can get hold of it or a substitute of to cover the outside, making this layer thick enough to kind of sculpt to get my desired effect.

Let me know what you think. Any suggestions will be greatly welcomed :)

crazybillybob
10-05-2005, 10:52 AM
Ascoates,

If your going to build up a thick layer (1/8-1/4"...My metric conversion isn't so good....you know us Yankees !) I'd go with Sintra It's stiffer than Styrene and if you use PVC glue you chemically weld the layers together. then for thin build ups use Styrene. A good glue to use for this is Gorilla glue (it expands as it dries so make sure you put some weights on it!) or Zap-a-gap (it's a CA gel.. you can get it at hobby shops, and I'm sure if you can't get it "Over the pond" some one there makes something like it!). I've never played Warhammer 40K RPG, but I do Play D&D and BattleTech so I know where your coming from.

As for the Q' do I have any cases in the forums.... Yes I do!
My current mod worklog is here R2-SRV MOD (http://thebestcasescenario.com/forum/showthread.php?p=14077#post14077)
And A mod I did a while ago (I lost the pics so the worklog's only 1/2 done!)
is Here Project ATM (http://thebestcasescenario.com/forum/showthread.php?t=956)

I need to get off my duff and take some pics of the "Normal" cases I moded and post them in a gallery so others can see them!

Good luck, Get some drawings up ! (I'm interested in this one!)

Crazybillybob

Ascoates
10-05-2005, 11:46 AM
Kk cheer m8 I will see what I can get for the stuffing of the aluminium.

Im sure that if I look hard enough I could find something I just need to get out there and looking at some model shops I know.

I am currently working on a diagram at the moment which is the front of the case with some added bits. It isn't to far from completion so am hoping to have it up soon to give you and everyone else a rough idea of what I actually want my case to look like.

But as said somewhere above I have run into some slight problems that I need to either find a way around or scrap the idea that I had that cause the snag.

Yean I've seen your R2 Mod and it looks so awesome I just wish I was that good at this stuff :(.

My step dad has just suggested to me that if I wanted to I could use a hollow aluminium shell and just put plates over it where they are needed, I raised the point about me wanting it rigid and to be able to hold the case's wait when full. He again came up with another suggestion which was to use what we call Steel U bend, apparently its kind of like Steel "L" brackets but a U and stronger and use these to construct strong supports.

As for raising the case, I was only thinking of raising it maybe 2 or 3 inch's depending on the thickness of my game cases. But this has just made me think that the case could fall over due to its height which means I would need to make sure there is a enough weight pushing down on, am hoping the components I am installing will do the job.

Again billybob thanks for all the help.

(Pictures soon I hope)

Ohh feel free to add me on msn if you have it: - coatesanthony@hotmail.com or Yahoo which is coates2003@yahoo.co.uk.

Like I said I just hope I have the or can get the funds for this case. The main thing am worried about is if am not able to go ahead with this project, I would feel as if I had let everyone that has viewed this topic down.

crazybillybob
10-05-2005, 12:33 PM
They sell Aluminum U channel too. You can pick up the smaller stuff 3/4"or 5/8" wide by 3'-6' long at the big box lumber stores (Lowes, Home Despot...you know the places). It's sometimes called plywood edging in those places. If you want bigger (1"-6") channel you'll have to find a local metal supply house (for the best prices look in there "Scrap Bin") or check a machine shop (also check the scrap bin). You can Weld, rivet or bolt it in place, then attach your sheeting on the out sides!.

Good luck !

Crazybillybob

By the way...I didn't know what I was doing when I started either! Every day I learn something new (from here or on my own !) If fact I would have never started using plastics (styrene) or weld if it not for the R2 Mod....

The first time you cut into a case side that you paid for ....Very scary day! Just take your time and be anal and by the end of the day...Your on cloud 9! (that's when your a Moder!) .....But a True Moder never screws up...We Just adjust our mods to fit (you know when you cut the hole in the wrong place...It becomes the Right place real quick!)

Ascoates
10-05-2005, 01:54 PM
Yeah I just need to work my way around the door thing, i was thinking of leaving a gap either side of the door maybe 1/2 centimetre or summet ten just painting that section so it blends with the rest or maybe make it so as my moulding or what ever gets there incorporate it into the design in one way or another not to sure at the moment.

I was thinking of using an old case in my house as practice. Then moving to my own case.

Thanks though m8, you have been alot of help

Ascoates
10-06-2005, 08:13 AM
Ok just to keep guys up to date. I started drawing my pictures a day or two ago and so far have three done. These images are rough images of how the case looks with some of my little bits added to the drawing if that makes sense (none sculpted).

When I am going with these images I will be moving onto drawing the case looking how I hope to have it look. These images will more than likely be poor quality because I lack drawing skills but they should hopefully give you an idea of how the case will HOPEFULLY look when done. If I can I will try to add colour otherwise they will have to be black and white im afraid.

Also while drawing my designs I have come up with another idea.

I was thinking that as I am having the case raised to house my games underneath I wouldn't mind if I could maybe get some light in there. I began thinking of how I could do this and at first all I could think of was wiring lights into the area which for a first mod I feel is going to far so heres what I came up with.

I am planning on putting either a blue or purple cathode light at the bottom of the case, so I was thinking of cutting a hole slightly smaller then the cathode in the bottom of the base then putting a small slice in the block at either end of the cathode then slotting the cathode onto the case shell at either end so it fits half in the case and half out, tht way I am using one light for two jobs which is saving me money and having to figure out the correct resistance the LEDs will need as I am useless at this kind of thing.

If anyone can think of a better, easier way to do this then please feel free to let me know.

Ascoates
10-10-2005, 09:55 AM
Hello again all,

Right well as a noob at all this i was wondering if anyone had any tips and hints on how to do what i have mentioned.

I mean anything from the smallest to the biggest. i am still working on images, damn college assignments suck big time and so does working weekends.

Anyway anyhelp would be awesome

Ascoates
10-12-2005, 05:16 AM
Hi guys bk again...

I was talking to my step dad last night and he came up with a nifty little idea. I can get hold of some stuff can't remember what its called, but its a series of L shaped metal with holes already in for bolting.

And aftet talking to him and thinking it would be pretty simple to put together the base of the machine and then for the covering i could use either aluminium plates or perspex.

I was thinking of plating the areas of the base where the games arent going to be and then putting perspex where the games are going to be so they can be seen easily.

What do you guys think?

Ascoates
10-13-2005, 04:45 PM
OK guys, I have two pictures done to the lack of time because of other commitments but I've decided that when am next at home which should be tomorrow I will scan the images in and then post em on here hopefully to get some feed back while I draw the other images.

Some of the images will be of the L sections I am using, these will be general drawings of how I propose to put the pieces together and the shape I hope to achieve.