PDA

View Full Version : Motherboard question!

lorddarkwolf
10-05-2005, 12:30 AM
Hello,
I have a computer that I'm working on and after it's been on for a while the screen freezes up and multi-colored vertical line's fill the screen. I dont have a video card to switch out but when I barely touched the capasitors near the video card it moved loosely. Is this problem from the mother-board or do I need to replace the video card both the video card and mother-board are Asus. Any help in figureing out this problem would be greatly appreciated. Thanx in advance.

Shroomie
10-05-2005, 04:47 PM
Do you have toe model number of the motherboard and/or video card? That might help.

If it's an AGP, make sure the lever's pushed in if there is one. That helps hold it. If the card still wiggles...well...

lorddarkwolf
10-06-2005, 02:37 PM
I don't know the model # of the MB but the Videocard is an Asus V7700TI 64m agp all is locked in place. The MB has a 333FSB.

DickNervous
10-06-2005, 08:08 PM
It could be either the motherboard or video card overheating. Make sure that all heatsinks are properly installed and that the fans are all running.

GregoryJ
10-08-2005, 04:10 PM
doesnt hurt to have the powersupply checked either.

lorddarkwolf
10-21-2005, 07:15 PM
Thanx for the help. I decided to replace both the MB and the vid card. With out a decent comp store around no way of testing it out cheaply. So I decided to replace both and save some time!

TheChef
11-09-2005, 08:11 PM
Definetly check the PSU as well. Freezing and locking up is many times caused by a poorly rated PSU (look on the +12v rail for above 18A on the sticker on the side of the PSU). IF getting a new motherboard and video card fixes it for you, awesome.