PDA

View Full Version : Screen mod?

darkagent
10-05-2005, 08:02 PM
Well i was thinking about taking an old moniter and making a mac like mod with it. put the comp and the screen in the same case. a few questons.

1. would heal realy be an problum and how many fans would i need.
2. can normal optcal and harddrives be mounted on there side.
3. has this been done before and not by a major company. ;)

GregoryJ
10-05-2005, 08:22 PM
there is one dude who did an oldschool mac. one of those all-in-one boxes from back in like 1990 or what ever. Anyway... it is the best Mac mod ive ever seen. And I mean perfect. But hey.. no sense in letting one person hog all the glory. I say go for it.

darkagent
10-14-2005, 01:01 AM
mine is going to be a pc not a mac. so far i have made a new case out of plexyglass that will fit a moniter from 17in to 19in. the stuff for the computer im not so sure about. somewere with good airflow and i was thinking away from the top of the moniters heat. sides maby i dont know im working on it.

Xato
10-14-2005, 05:11 AM
If you really wanted to, you could get a 17 or 19inch CRT monitor, strip it out, put a LCD screen in the front, then chuck the components in the back.
And ofcourse if you're doing a Monitor mod, make sure to discharge all stored electricity safely before working on it.

[DGN]Nexus
10-14-2005, 05:27 PM
sounds like a plan. I ould say, as far as mounting drives, to use some sort of acrylic to make mounting brackets for the dvd or cd-rw drives. the hard drives could be mounted a little bit differently. I wish i would describe what i have an image of in my head... oh, you might already have an idea.

snefan
10-15-2005, 06:48 PM
If you really wanted to, you could get a 17 or 19inch CRT monitor, strip it out, put a LCD screen in the front, then chuck the components in the back.
And ofcourse if you're doing a Monitor mod, make sure to discharge all stored electricity safely before working on it.
good idea!

Aero
10-15-2005, 07:01 PM

If you plan on doing that, check out some of the links in this thread to make sure you do it safely.

http://www.thebestcasescenario.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1109

Xato
10-15-2005, 11:47 PM
Lol, i didnt even know someone else had posted the idea. =P
I've been thinking about that for a while, but doubt i'll ever do it. Not my type of mod.

darkagent
10-16-2005, 06:35 PM
i like that idea about the crt case and the lcd. and i was looking into the places for the drives and have one queston. can a hhd be mounted sideways. i see that the one in the xbox 360 can be so i think its fine but ill ask anyway. the drives im going to mount more simpler then i would have hoped. im putting a little case on top with all the drives to be mounted in.

as far as safty im fine so far and ive opened 2 crts.

Xato
10-17-2005, 09:13 AM
Yeh, HDD's go fine sideways. Its eractic movement which stuffs them up.