PDA

View Full Version : File sharing Banned in Japan!

TheGreatSatan
03-15-2008, 10:38 PM
ISP's who catch people sharing files on the Web will get banned from the internet:eek:

http://www.techcrunch.com/2008/03/15/japanese-isps-to-ban-file-sharers/

Drum Thumper
03-15-2008, 10:44 PM
Behold, the end of Net Neutrality. Who's gonna be next?

Edit: I by no means condone illegal file sharing. But once this type of activity starts, the circles tend to get tighter and tighter the closer to the drain you get.

crenn
03-16-2008, 05:25 AM
It would suck if you got banned... for LEGAL torrents (yes, amazingly there are such things!)

simon275
03-16-2008, 05:48 AM
It would suck if you got banned... for LEGAL torrents (yes, amazingly there are such things!)

Exactly such as Linux distro's. This is wrong on so many levels. How do they define file sharing? Like if someone uploaded a mp3 to the internet that they made and a friend downloaded it. Could the ISP think both parties are file sharing? This makes me so angry.

Omega
03-16-2008, 06:00 AM
eh, simple way around it:

change filetype to .txt
upload to personal webspace
tell other person to download
tell other person to change filetype to whatever it was originally

or .jpg/rar embedding

But yeah, assuming that all p2p is illegal is kind of a blanket maneuver... I can see where they're coming from but damn, man.

crenn
03-16-2008, 08:13 AM
It's amusing how a lot of people think torrent is all bad, but that's wrong. Some of the games I play a built in torrent client to update! And also I got my collection of photos from one of the events I went to last year... through torrenting!

While I may use it legally, there are those of course who won't use it like this, but there is no way to really tell if the 'file sharing' is legal or not.

chaksq
03-16-2008, 01:52 PM
Wow, so not cool. I use torrents on occasion and it's always for legal stuff only. So much more efficient to download the latest Linux distro .ISOs via torrent. Even with the connection speed I have downloading a DVD sized file would probably take over a day without torrents.

Omega
03-16-2008, 03:51 PM
While I may use it legally, there are those of course who won't use it like this, but there is no way to really tell if the 'file sharing' is legal or not.

Well I mean, there's always the chance that the government could put spiders on public trackers, then log IP addresses and the files they're downloading... If it looks copyrighted, pull the plug. But then that means more government staff to do a job that, lers face it, isn't that important.

Drum Thumper
03-16-2008, 04:42 PM
If it looks copyrighted, pull the plug.

And who will be making those decisions? The RIAA, MPAA, etc etc etc.

Quakken
03-17-2008, 12:34 AM
Does the RIAA or MPAA "work" in japan? I sure hope not. Not that illegal filesharing is good, but bittorrent and other "torrent" type things are actually frightfully efficient at distributing large files to many computers at once. look- here (http://torrentfreak.com/university-uses-utorrent-080306/)
instead of 4 days to update their desktops, it takes 4 hours, and it only takes 1 server instead of 26.

If the people running the government try to do this in america, I sincerely hope that this gets shot down. If this even makes it to the floor of congress, then it proves that the people really don't run this country, and prove that big business (record and movie industry) really do run this country. Everyone knows that the artists who make movies really get most of the money from the box office and selling items and such. The artists who make songs really get all of their money from tours (although they DO make some from record sales, the people who "own" them make the majority of the record sales money).

Edit- After reading that, it wasn't the government that did it, it was the internet companies... hmm... I will put $50 down, saying that within the next 6 months, a large internet company will start up, with a "don't ask don't tell" policy, who will not give up their information unless someone shows up on their (secluded in a mountain cave's) doorstep with a subpoena.

Omega
03-17-2008, 12:49 AM
The RIAA and MPAA are USA-Specific organizations. The second A in each of them is America, after all (Recording Industry Assoc. of America & Motion Picture Assoc. of America respectively).

Now... The ISP's controlling filesharing is fine, because like you said, chances are some company will start up with a don't ask don't tell thing. And it's perfectly legal, for them, too. If anything, the government will prod them for information on who downloads what.

Drum Thumper
03-17-2008, 04:46 AM
Now... The ISP's controlling filesharing is fine, because like you said, chances are some company will start up with a don't ask don't tell thing. And it's perfectly legal, for them, too. If anything, the government will prod them for information on who downloads what.

So you're willing to give up your First Amendment Rights?

And yes, I realize this only applies to the USA.

Omega
03-17-2008, 11:10 AM
Am I willing to give them up? **** no. Would the government do it anyways? Probably.

What I was saying is that the Government (assuming US-like laws) wouldn't be able to shut down the ISP for what it's users are doing. They could, though (Under the Patriot Act, probably, or the DMCA) demand records of the ISP's clients' internet usage information.

The problem is that the Record and Movie industries screwed the pooch. If they're going to make things available online they need to make them available online the moment it's available irl, not later. What ends up happening is people who might want to acquire things legally, except it's three in the morning and it's not on the internet yet (legally). So what do they do? Torrent it, naturally. People don't want to wait for their things.