PDA

View Full Version : Painting a laptop

g0dl355
10-05-2005, 11:04 PM
First of all, just want to say Hi to everyone.
I've never really done much case modding, but I've done stuff to some cars, and will be doing a case for a friend soon as well.

I have an old dell laptop, cpi model, 266mhz or fury or something to that affect.

I decided to paint it, and of course rather than be smart and do research for it, I dove into it.
I sanded it down a bit with some 150grit sandpaper, that may have been too rough..but I wanted the paint to be able to stick.
I used some Rustoleum paint for plastics, it said I didn't need a primer so I just sprayed it on.
I would like this to be durable, and not chip off..I would also like the paintjob to look better than it does now.
Its got a couple coats of spray paint on it and nothing else.
I was reading the paint thread and got some better ideas, but do any of you guys have ideas for laptop paint?
I'd almost like the paint to look like a car paint when I'm done.

Any suggestions for painting laptop plastic? or anything similar?

thanks guy, love the site too :D

GregoryJ
10-06-2005, 05:11 AM
The 150grit paper is a touch too much. I would suggest nothing below 500grit to scuff the surface. You may have a little more work now that you have applied a couple of coats of paint. All is not lost though since this may have helped to fill in some of the scratchs from the 150grit paper. I would invest in a small rubber sanding block and some 500 to 2000 grit paper. You should be able to go to someplace like Pepboys or Autozone and get these items for cheap. what you need to do is to sand the serface down until its smooth and even. Make sure to sand in all dirrections as this will help the paint to adhere better. If that laptop case is plastic then you can use an adhesion promoter. Ive used Klean-Strip's Bulldog Adhesion Promoter which will bond with industrial plastics (like ABS etc) on the molecular level. Two even coats is all you need. Once dry spray 2 even coats of primer. Wetsand with 400grit. Remember that primer does not need to look perfect, just even, so make sure all primered surfaces are sanded. Then follow the steps listed in the "Paint" thread and you should be good to go. Remember... Dont rush. Painting is a patient mans skill and taking your time will only yield a better outcome in the end. If you get hung up anywhere dont be afraid to ask for help. There are so many talented and knowledgable people out there that if you questions, someone will have the answer. Good luck! 8)

crenn
10-06-2005, 08:24 AM
Also make sure you cover the ports, holes and keyboard.

g0dl355
10-06-2005, 01:38 PM
Oh I took it completely apart to paint it.

Thanks for the tip, I read that thread after I made mine oops.
Since I've already painted a couple surfaces with the red, should I sand it off and start over?
Also, there are some nooks and crannies that seem impossible to sand in. Any suggestions on how to sand in tight places?

Rankenphile
10-06-2005, 02:46 PM
If it is a skinny groove, I fold a piece of sandpaper around an old credit card (or the blank ones they send you in the mail). If it is a hole or tube, wrap some sandpaper around a thin stick, like a q-tip stick.

g0dl355
10-06-2005, 04:07 PM
If it is a skinny groove, I fold a piece of sandpaper around an old credit card (or the blank ones they send you in the mail). If it is a hole or tube, wrap some sandpaper around a thin stick, like a q-tip stick.

thanks, I will try that out 8)