PDA

View Full Version : vista out xp in

ilambat
03-19-2008, 03:22 PM
i want to get rid of vista from my laptop and put xp onto it how do i do this?/

Trace
03-19-2008, 05:31 PM
You most likely can't. Unfortunately, the drivers that power your display are most likely only for the operating system that is on your computer standard. Since almost all the display drivers for laptops are custom made, why would they waste money making them for an OS they don't provide with the computer. Best idea would be to call them up and ask them if they have XP drivers.

crenn
03-20-2008, 05:33 PM
You may be able to find all the drivers you need on the net. You'll have to find custom drivers for whichever video card you have.

Luke122
03-20-2008, 05:57 PM
The truth is that you probably can, but it will either cost you time or money (or both).

If you have Vista Ultimate or Vista business, you can downgrade to XP pro for no money, but it'll take time to get the drivers you need and configure everything.

If you have any other version of Vista (including premium), you have to BUY a copy of XP to install, THEN spend time on it.

What make/model of laptop do you have? If it's HP, you might be in luck. Post what you have, and then we'll be in a better position to help. :)

chaksq
03-23-2008, 01:44 PM
You can install XP or whatever you want on it, however without the right drivers it might run crappy. If you don't have the right video driver you might be stuck with 800x600 as your resolution which really sucks on a widescreen. Look on the manufactures website support section to see what drivers they have from your model. I know on my Gateway most of the drivers are for Vista but a few are listed as being able to work with XP as well, unfortunately for me it's only the SATA controller and card reader drivers that work under XP none of the others including video are listed as working with XP.

a.Bird
03-30-2008, 01:25 AM
So what's the update? Did you find the XP drivers for your laptop?

XcOM
03-30-2008, 08:58 AM
i got XP to work on my laptop, drivers incuded when acer said there isn't any drivers for xp that will work with my laptop,

Strangly though i got it to work.

ilambat
04-01-2008, 11:55 PM
its a tablet i got hp tx1020 sorry for the delay

a.Bird
04-02-2008, 06:48 PM
It appears here (http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwareCategory?product=3380842&lc=en&cc=us&dlc=en&submit.y=10&submit.x=13&lang=en&cc=us) that HP offers a few XP drivers for your Keyboard, Mouse and Input Devices, as well as your network device, however you'll only see the full potential of this particular laptop in Vista as HP is offering official driver support for the audio, graphics, modem, BIOS, OS "enhancements", and features such as the AuthenTec AES1610 Fingerprint Driver, for instance. However, if you are willing to give up official driver support and attempt to do as much as you can with the laptop in XP, I'd say go for it man.

Luke122
04-02-2008, 06:53 PM
I guess the biggest question here is "Why do you want to get rid of Vista?"

You can basically turn off all the graphical updates and the UAC, and be left with what looks essentially like Windows 2000. It'll also be wicked fast compared to regular Vista. However, most people jumped on Vista because of those features.

If you (like me) are switching back to XP because you have hardware/software that doesnt work with Vista, that's really the only choice.

ilambat
04-02-2008, 11:34 PM
How do i go about changing the graphical view of vista so it luks like ms 2000..
i just finda vista to be slow compared to xp 64 because thats what i normally use.

Luke122
04-03-2008, 10:39 AM
Here's a start..
http://www.petri.co.il/vista_aero_performance_issues.htm