PDA

View Full Version : Raw materials

Dark-hobo
10-07-2005, 01:16 AM
well... I have been looking for acrylic and sheet metal for like 4 months now. And I have found nothing that I think is reasonably priced. I am wondering how much enough material for 3 18"x18" windows would cost? Flourescent green or UV green preferred. Also I am looking for sheet metal for a custom fabricated case. How thick would you suggest it be and do you know any good sources?

So basically I just need some price references to go on so I don't get ripped off. And a nice thickness for sheet metal. This would be of great help thanks :D!

Malatory
10-07-2005, 07:37 AM
www.mcmaster.com

was pointed to me on this forum

EDIT: removed the extra s

[DGN]Nexus
10-07-2005, 01:21 PM
that link goes to some net identity thing.... not mcmasters.

edit:

Link fixed

Dark-hobo
10-07-2005, 05:28 PM
So, would this acrylic work for windows Plastics
This product matches all of your selections.
Part Number: 85635K514
$37.54 Each
Shape
Sheets, Bars, Strips, and Cubes
Sheets, Bars, Strips, and Cubes Type
Rectangular Sheet
Sheet Style
Standard
Thickness
.118"
Thickness Tolerance
+.015" to -.025"
Length
48"
Length Tolerance
±.125"
Width
36"
Width Tolerance
±.125"
Material
Acrylic
Acrylic Material
Cast Acrylic
Clear
Clear with Fluorescent Green Tint
Backing
Plain Back
Lowest Temperature
+0° to +60° F
Highest Temperature
+100° to +200° F
Operating Temperature Range
+40° to +170° F
Performance Characteristic
Weather Resistant
Tensile Strength
10,800 psi
Impact Strength
.414 ft.-lbs./in.
Tolerance
Standard
Softening Point
175° F
Specifications Met
Not Rated
Hardness
Rockwell M: 103

?

Also what is a good thickness for sheet metal?

GregoryJ
10-08-2005, 03:48 PM
as far as window material goes I think most people are pretty comfortable with Plexi or Lexan. Plexi, about 1/4 inch thick, would be standard for window material. Plexi is very hard and can break while cutting or drilling if you are not carful but it is very scratch resistent and it also holds up to standard cleaning products (glass cleaners, de-greasers). Lexan is a similar product but is much stronger than plexi and a bit more durable. Lexan is also much more flexable than Plexi. The downside is that it can scratch easier. It too holds up well to common household cleaners. I like Lexan because you can use a much thinner piece of matterial for windows. This comes in handy when doing irregularly shaped cutouts. It is also much more forgiving when cutting and drilling since it will not crack like plexi. I personally prefer Lexan over Plexi/acrylic anyday but again, thats just my taste. As far as Sheet metal is concerned, it really depends on the project. For larger stuff where you would have more internal components then you may want to go with steel or aluminum for their strength. aluminum will always be more expensive but its worth it for the weight reduction. The best place to start looking is Autosupply or industrial supply companies. Google it. Hope this helped. Good luck! 8)