PDA

View Full Version : Access Points (I think!)

gaz_the_chav
03-23-2008, 07:18 PM
I'm bored with to much time.......

I have a Belkin 125Mbps router which I want to have in my room as an access point (I think!) My modem/router is a BT Home Hub which I want my belkin to connect to so this will allow me to plug devices in my room into it and so forth. I have no idea how to do this or configure this so if anyone has any idea it would be welcomed!

Cheers Guys

-gaz

Luke122
03-23-2008, 08:34 PM
Set the router with a static IP (LAN address, WAN isnt used), configure the wireless (including security) to what you want, disable the built in DHCP server, and that's it. Rather than plugging the feed from the rest of the network into the WAN/Internet port, plug it into one of the LAN ports. It's now an AP.

I"m assuming that you already have a LAN cable coming from your other router to your room, so that will take up one of the ports on the Belkin router, but you still have 3 free ports + WIFI to work with.

I've done this successfully many times. :)

gaz_the_chav
03-23-2008, 09:17 PM
ok cool thanks last question can i have the router wireles without a cable??

cheers

-gaz

Trace
03-24-2008, 01:53 AM
For just internet?

You may want to look into a "program" called BlueBox. You can find out more on http://linksysco.com

Luke122
03-26-2008, 08:49 PM
ok cool thanks last question can i have the router wireles without a cable??

cheers

-gaz

That's a tricky one to answer.. if you are wanting to use the router strictly as a wired router, and use the wifi to connect back to the main router, then that depends on the router itself.

The ability to do this is called "Bridging", and isnt supported by many routers.. check your owners manual to see if it supports this. If so, they'll have better instructions on it.

Your other option is to get a wireless bridge (probably pretty cheap), and use that to connect to the wifi, then plug the ethernet cable into a a switch, and share to all your devices that way.

Keep in mind though that all the devices will be sharing the bandwidth of that one wifi link back to the main router.. so that will impact performance for sure.