PDA

View Full Version : Sonata 2 case Radeon 850 XT and Intel board not fitting?

PeterL
10-09-2005, 11:09 AM
This the first time that I have done this so I could be making a beginner's mistake. Everything was going well with the build until I attempted to fit the ATI Radeon 850 XT card into the PCI Express X 16 bus add-in connector on my Intel motherboard D955XBK. This video card requires that two slot covers be removed, as it uses the slot next door to enable the built in fan to ventilate the card. I could not get the card on to the motherboard without undoing the 10 screws that were holding the motherboard to the Sonata 2 case. With them lose the card goes into both slots; the PCI Express X 16 bus add-in connector and the PCI Conventional bus add-in card connector, but I can no longer line up the motherboard with the screw holes even with the motherboard flush up to the template and the case.

It appears that the part of the case that held the slot covers needs to be modified and moved out about one eight to one quarter of an inch for this card to be installed and the motherboard to line up with the brass standoffs in the case. There is a part of the case that has a small part punched out to hold the slot covers in place and this is not helping the problem, but it looks like I need more space that just the removal of that bump.

Your help will be deeply appreciated.

[DGN]Nexus
10-09-2005, 05:03 PM
some cases just aren't built right. The on I am using right now is dumb like that too. I had to bend a part of the case at the end of the extension slot to be able to get my video card in too. It mostly depends on how you get it in. For my comp, whenever I have needed to switch the graphics card. I make sure the connections that go out the back are throught the slot first, and then seat the card.

If there is no way bud modding the case, try using a pair of needlenose pliers to bend the part that is giving you trouble. it worked on my case because it is really flexible aluminum, but I don't know how it will work with yours. I hope this helps.

PeterL
10-11-2005, 07:02 PM
I saw that my tendancy was to go bend it, or cut out that section, but first I decide to post this and also ask Antec for thier advice.

DickNervous
10-11-2005, 07:35 PM
My guess is that the metal that is between the PCI slots it what is in the way, and correct me if I am wrong. If that is the case, you can remove it so you end up with a double-wide slot opening.

If it is the top where you screw it in that is causing it to not fit, that is a bit more problematic.

However, while I have worked on cases that required a little more finesse and coazing to get a video card in, even the 2 slot kind, I have never seen a case where you cannot get it in. I would make sure that you insert the card by putting the connectors through the slot opening while the card is still above the PCIx slot. Then carefully lower it and slide it into the slot making sure that the tabs on the bottom of the card end, the part that goes into the slot opening, are going into the right spot. Check the other slot covers for an example. Some cases are designed for them to slide into something, some the go on the inside, some the outside, so you need to check.

Exley
10-16-2005, 08:18 PM
if i am understanding your problem correctly (the video card will not click into place unless you move the mobo) i had the same problem with my x700 pci-ex card. I solved the problem by sliding my mobo tray up a TINY bit and my card click right into place, although if you dont have a mobo tray this wont help you at all.

snefan
10-17-2005, 08:01 AM
uhm no i think it's the backplate and mobo that's not right :P