PDA

View Full Version : EVDO + Ad-Hoc + Wifi + Dial on demand = !@#$%*&

Luke122
03-26-2008, 09:04 PM
I bet everyone loves when I post these damn stumpers.

I got an EVDO modem for my EEEPc today.. works great. I set up an Ad-Hoc test network between the EEEpc and another laptop, and shared the EVDO connection just fine.

I also set a preference, that if there is an authorized access point (AP)nearby, to drop the ad-hoc, and connect to the WIFI AP. Again, works fine.

This is where the trouble starts: I need the EVDO to only dial when no authorized WIFI AP is in range.

If I set the connection preferences to "only dial when no network connection is present", the EVDO tries to dial EVERYTIME I OPEN A BROWSER.:mad: It will tell me I'm offline, and that it needs to dial, even though the WIFI is 100% strength. If I cancel the dial, it will load the webpage.

As soon as I try another address, or a link on that page, it tries to dial again, telling me I'm working offline. If I cancel, it works. :mad:

I'm still searching this out online, but if anyone has any suggestions, please pass them on before I shoot this thing.

Luke122
03-27-2008, 11:52 AM
:mad:

xRyokenx
03-27-2008, 08:43 PM
:mad:

Luke122
04-01-2008, 12:19 AM
Haha.. thanks for the help with being grumpy.

I'm working on creating a script to detect connection and dial if necessary (based on IP.. starts with 169, then dial, otherwise dont). I also have a connection @ Sprint checking out their software for me.. we'll see what happens. :D

As far as the rest of that project, the mesh works beautifully, and the EVDO sharing is exactly what we needed.

Next part of the project: build a bluetooth dongle, a usb hub, a SDHC card reader, and the GPS into the INSIDE of the EEE PC. :D

xRyokenx
04-01-2008, 12:35 AM
Good luck with it dude. You're also welcome, I couldn't think of any other contributions than some humor. If you need someone to be grumpy with stuff in the future, you have my PM box number or something like that.

Ryoken away!!!!!! *Fwoosh!*