PDA

View Full Version : Strange starting activities

Hanski
03-29-2008, 09:55 AM
Alright, i have posted about this problem before on here but no one could help back then.

Well, the problem is; whenever i shutdown my computer and attempt to turn it back, all i get is the fans running for like 2 seconds and it doesnt start. It continues to do this unless i switch my PSU off. I did figure out a way to start it, though, and it is to rapidly switch the power on/off from the PSU.

Also, it starts up fine when i have let it to cool down for 30 - 60 min. Now this is where i thought "WTF!?". Many people suggested me i had a too unpowered PSU, but i dont believe it since i can OC my GFX card fine without any problems.

I have tried to erase the CMOS many times, and also have tried of popping out the battery and putting it back. Doesnt work. And i know it is NOT the ram since i have had many different sticks in this machine and the problem continues to exist.

I myself think it is the motherboard which causes this.
Other than this, the computer runs fine without any problems.

Specs:
CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo E6400
Mobo: Gigabyte GA-P35-DS4
GFX card: Gainward Geforce 7900GS (the one with 512mb memory)
Hard drive: Seagate Diamondmax (Yep, i got it at the moment seagate bought maxtor... hence the funny name)
RAM: 2x 1GB DDR2 833mhz
PSU: Zalman Z460B APS, 460w

Hanski
03-29-2008, 11:23 AM
Alright, i did a few calculations and i think its the PSU. My PSU supplies 460w max, but my comp needs 480w cause of the dual core CPU.. so i think ill buy a cheap 500w psu and see if it works... if not ill propably have to return the mobo... it has a warranty of 3 years by the shop.

Eclecticos
03-29-2008, 01:01 PM
Do you have your 4 pin power connected to your motherboard?

Hanski
03-29-2008, 03:12 PM
Ofcourse.

NightrainSrt4
03-29-2008, 04:37 PM
so i think ill buy a cheap 500w psu and see if it works...

Be careful just buying a "cheap" 500w psu, or you may be back in the same position you are in. Make sure the psu has enough amperage in the 12V rails to handle the hardware you have.

Eclecticos
03-29-2008, 11:05 PM
I Agree. You may need to disconnect anything unnecessary.
Your 460w PSU may not be sufficient.

Ive head the same problem. Turned out it was the Mobo.
Hopefully that is not the problem. I'd try another PSU, Remove the cards
. . .one at a time and identify the problematic device.

Hanski
03-30-2008, 08:13 AM
Oh damn. I took it to the guys at the pc shop and they tested an absolute monster of a PSU on it, 1200w. STILL, it refused to start. Turned out it was the mobo :( Well anyway they have 3 years warranty...
I hope they can replace it since it's like 2 years ago and i dont have anything more than the mobo, the manual and the driver CD plus the original packaging and the ordering number.

Eclecticos
03-30-2008, 05:56 PM
Here is the link to Gigabyte RMA (http://rma.gigabyte-usa.com/DirectRMA/EndUser_AddRMA.asp).
More than likely one of your power mosfets has roasted.

Hanski
03-31-2008, 12:09 PM
I bet it too. Well good news, they did more than replace it; i pay them 40 euros more and they give me a brand new DFI lanparty with sli support etc :D

doug91
03-31-2008, 07:04 PM
very nice. Yes PSUs are very overrated. Meaning that you often don't need anywhere near the wattage you think. Your system specs would probably do fine with 300 watts.