PDA

View Full Version : Some oddities? opinions?

CorsePerVita
03-29-2008, 06:29 PM
Ok all of this has been figured out for a few things, but wanted to post it mostly for others to learn, and perhaps for more advanced people to chime in with possibilities:

Ok so before i built this new computer I had this very odd issue where when windows would boot up that you'd hear a sound as if the system was powering down. That whole "click" sound it makes before your computer turns off, however, the computer would stay on and windows would boot no further than the "Windows XP" with the bar moving across, it made the sound and would hang.

If I restarted into safe mode, it would go into safe mode. However normal mode would power up into the boot screen, make the power down sound like the hard drives turning off or power supply or whatever and then just hang...

Well.. i really didn't feel like ****ing with it. I just bought a new computer, used the same hard drives (i figured it was an awesome excuse to upgrade). New motherboard, new cpu, new ram, new power supply and it did the same thing. I figured "OK, has to be something ****ed up (can i use that word here?) with the windows XP install somewhere along the lines of the boot process."

So i reinstalled windows. that worked.

However, i had an odd issue where now and then the computer would turn on, then immediately off. You could unplug the power supply, wait, plug it back in and then it would start, then turn off. Off and on, and off. If I unplugged the power cord from the primary hard drive it would start up immediately, if i plugged it back in then it would do it again after a few boots. I eventually tried a new power cable and it stopped, though the computer guy at the store swore up and down it was my hard drive (but it's fine now).

Above and beyond that he also swore up and down i could boot from my cd rom running off the IDE controllers and install windows that way. BZZZT, wrong! The motherboard recognized them as devices after all the software would run at startup, but never detected them as slaves at all. I had to put one hard drive and one cd drive on the primary IDE cables, the secondary hard drive and rom on the ide controller (mind you this motherboard has 1 ide spot on it, it's geared for sata, so i used an ide controller). Doing this worked as it recognized the hard drive i wanted windows on and the cd drive at startup...

What i really want to know is: What exactly what the odd "click" thing at boot up? I've NEVER encountered it before. Oddly enough windows started doing that after i installed microshaft office 2000 (scary edition). So then when i rebooted it'd go to the xp loading screen, make that "click" like the system would power down but it would stay on and "hang", ideas? Very odd.

J-Roc
03-30-2008, 07:03 PM
Well since you changed everything but the HD's and had the same problem, its pretty obvious that the issue lies with either the HD itself or corupted data on it. Have you checked the disk for errors?

Do you have a sound card? My Razer card clicks all the time. When the comp starts or shuts down and when i open Ventrilo or run games.

I suspect its the drive itself.

CorsePerVita
03-30-2008, 07:23 PM
Perhaps i'll get a video or something.

doug91
03-31-2008, 07:21 PM
nah not the sound card. I'm running a thermaltake PSU and it clicks when I shut down my computer. I could be wrong but its just a circuit kind of noise. Either a circuit closing or opening. I thought most computers made this noise.

oh but wait, it could've been the hard drive. When u hear a strange noise u take any sort of tubing press one end to your ear, then probe around until you the location of the noise. Hard drives make a kind of clicking noise when the platters are offset. It means that they aren't aligned right and are spinning into each other, or the head.