PDA

View Full Version : A suggestion: mobile device friendly skin

chaksq
03-30-2008, 11:57 AM
Not really a bug with the site more of a suggestion. I hope I can post this here, didn't see anywhere else to post it really. Would it be possible to have a secondary skin for the site aimed at low memory mobile devices. I often browse the web on my PSP and this is one of my most frequented sites and I cannot access it on my browser. Other forums I visit have a skin with a minimum of graphics, etc that works well on a device with low memory like my PSP, a PDA, or maybe users with older hardware and only a dial-up connection, not everyone has access to the latest tech which we can't forget.

I don't know how viable this really is but I figured I'd throw it out there just in case there is other interest.

jdbnsn
03-30-2008, 03:07 PM
That is a very interesting idea, I'll talk it over with the peeps and see if we can make that happen.

Trace
03-30-2008, 09:46 PM
Yea, I would like to see this too, it would make it easier to browse on my phone when I'm on vacation

jdbnsn
04-13-2008, 11:00 PM
I've looked into this, and turns out it is possible. It isn't a ckewalk to set up but I'll do it if enough people will be using it. How many folks access the forums with a mobile device? I can set it to auto detect mobile devices and auto-vert to the simplified skin. But again, only if enough people will make use of it.

xRyokenx
04-14-2008, 10:19 AM
If I can get my Pocket PC functional again I sure as hell will. I used to come here all the time to check my PMs. But yeah... that thing is messed up, gotta fix it.

/slightly OT

Luke122
04-14-2008, 01:02 PM
It would be useful for me on my PDA and/or EEEPc, so this project has my vote. :D

Bopher
04-14-2008, 01:18 PM
Same here. Accessing with my PSP or my Smartphone would be nice when I can't get to a computer.

chaksq
04-14-2008, 09:20 PM
Sounds good man. I'll be looking forward to it. This means I can browse the forums on that carPC I'm planning (not while driving obviously).

Bopher
04-14-2008, 10:18 PM
Sounds good man. I'll be looking forward to it. This means I can browse the forums on that carPC I'm planning (not while driving obviously).

Officer: "And what caused the accident again?"
chaksq: "You should have seen the case that so and so just posted!!"

jdbnsn
04-14-2008, 10:23 PM
Officer: "And what caused the accident again?"
chaksq: "You should have seen the case that so and so just posted!!"

or...

Officer: "What was the reason you crashed into the wall?"

chaksq: "Well sir, just before I rounded that corner the forums crashed. I felt obligated to go down with them."

Bopher
04-15-2008, 12:00 AM
or...

chaksq: "I was looking for a good wireless signal and forgot I was driving?"

That would probably be mine, lol

si-skyline
04-15-2008, 06:59 PM
gprs nowadays or what ever they call it..

yes perfect idea. i sometimes access this site when im on the train comming home to liverpool. it takes about 1 and a half hours so lookin at the forums normally keeps me happy

i use a nokia n95 8gb to access.. also not to thread hijack or anything, when i use my phone and reply to a thread it comes up and says iv been double posting but still posts the message anyway.. do any yous get that on small devices?

Bopher
04-16-2008, 03:51 AM
Not so much. With my T-Mobile Dash I can resize what it sees to desktop. But then not everything loads into the screen. On my TX Palm I get memory errors about how the site is just to darn big. PSP gives you the same thing sometimes but not all the time.

thingswithmovingparts
04-16-2008, 10:05 AM
that would be awesome! i've recently become adddicted to a nokia 770.

kinda nifty that i just stumbled to this thread by accident while surfing around ith my 770 (looking for mobile mod ideas) thinking ''man, it would be really groovy if more of my favorite sites were mobile friendly''

jdbnsn
04-16-2008, 01:18 PM
okay, I've heard enough. I'll go ahead and plan on implementing this then, sounds like it would be used.

Drum Thumper
04-16-2008, 04:09 PM
or...

chaksq: "Well sir, just before I rounded that corner the forums crashed. I felt obligated to go down with them."

Continuing on...

chaksq's passenger: "Ah ****, I unplugged the wifi access!"

chaksq: "Wha?"

jdbnsn
04-16-2008, 09:46 PM
Hmmmm....

Well I set up the alternative skin and configured it to auto-detect wireless devices and it worked great! The skin was very low key and would be perfect for phones and such. However, it also detected my wireless laptop and forced that style on there too. And I cannot figure out how to make the distinction. I'll keep working on it but I may need to set up a test day where I take a couple of hours and get everybody to log on with their various devices and report back with what you saw. I'm leaving it off for now.

OvRiDe
04-16-2008, 10:26 PM
I was wondering what happened.. :D

Ooohh.. look.. its the old skin.. huh??

Then it was gone.. heh

EDIT:
Did some checking around..

try this link out and let me know if this will work for you or what issues you may run into.

http://www.thebestcasescenario.com/forum/archive/index.php/

jdbnsn
04-16-2008, 10:45 PM
That is similar to the skin used, but can you set it to autodetect wireless? Also, it doesn't display images, I forgot to check the other skin but I wonder if that would render the whole alternative skin undesireable?

OvRiDe
04-16-2008, 10:54 PM
Yep.. I just realized it doesn't do images or allow you to access your PM's .. That is from the archive feature that for some reason has a PDA option to where the regular forums don't seem to. I think the VBul forums might be the best option for more information. I will see what I can dig up as well.

jdbnsn
04-16-2008, 11:52 PM
That is where I got the product we are using and it offers PM's along with most forum features. The only issue is device discrimination, I'll read up on it because I'm pretty sure it's fixable.

thingswithmovingparts
04-17-2008, 05:14 AM
it works good with my 770 although no pics and i can't post. still, everything fits nicely and i don't have to sit there wondering what's in the last 100 pixels or so on the right. :)

chaksq
04-17-2008, 10:36 AM
The archive skin does not do what I need/want. Other sites with the feature still show information like posted by, last post, replies, etc. Also I want to be able to reply with it, it is slower than a keyboard/keypad but I can 'type' on a PSP quite well.

As for autodetect I don't absolutely require it. Just have a pull down select between skins on the bottom of the page, I can usually load up the main page once to get to the option. One you do it once, it usually remembers you selection on the device. I know MP3car has that option if you want an example.

Edit: Having the option to choose between skins might benefit users with in between machines like the eeePC, or users with older hardware like dialup.

jdbnsn
04-17-2008, 03:27 PM
The archive skin is not actually a skin, it's not the version I intent to use. I'll fill you in on the functionality of the skin when I have finished the installation. My goal is to have essentially all reading/PM/posting/and maybe pics available, just none of the other graphics.

crenn
04-17-2008, 09:41 PM
May I suggest having it not autodetecting, but a 'sister' site which uses the mobile skin. If possible, I'd recommend any pictures being turned into links instead of being showed, it makes it less bandwidth intensive.

jdbnsn
04-17-2008, 09:57 PM
is it auto-detecting on your device?

crenn
04-17-2008, 09:58 PM
I'll just check.

EDIT: Nope.

luciusad2004
04-21-2008, 12:14 AM
I like this idea. i frequently browse from my old ibook and simplicity really does make it easier(really low ram). It'll also be useful if i ever get that ipod touch i've been wanting to save for. I'll be following this.

jdbnsn
04-21-2008, 12:17 AM
I tested it out today, didn't work very good. So I'm going to build a little more involved arrangement later which will give you a tab to click on for a simple skin.