PDA

View Full Version : What types of paint should I try?

Womp
10-10-2005, 11:45 PM
Hey all, im completely new at modding and was looking to start off with some baby steps. I have a laptop, it's a brushed aluminum (Spelling?) and im wanting to start off with painting something onto it to spice it up a little. I dont have any fancy airbrush tools, but I was looking around and I have some model paint that I used to paint some Warhammer figures. Im just wondering if I did it right the paint would mesh with the laptop and not look like crap... Im aware that it wont look the best but hey.. gotta work with what you got.. Any suggeestions?

crazybillybob
10-11-2005, 07:36 AM
Before you start painting you'll want to hit the area that's going to be painted with some 220 grit sandpaper. Just a lite little sanding to give the paint someting to holdon too. Also mask evrything you don't want painted off with painters tape and 2-3 layers of paper (newspaper or paper grocery sacks work well for this) then give the area your going to paint 2 coats of primer (I'd use white as it will help your colors be more vivid). Once the primers dry you can either go to town painting or wet sand the primer with 1000Grit (lightly you just want the high spot knocked down) This will make the final paint job look smoother than if you don't.
Because it's a laptop once you've finished painting and the paint has dried, apply 5-6 coats of clear coat over the paint. here's a tip every 2 coats wetsand with 2000grit sandpaper (lightky you just want to knock the high spot down), this will help get rid of the oramge peel look in the clear. Once all the clear is on buff with polish and hand glaze for that SWEEEEEt Sweet Shine.

CrazyBillybob

Bum
10-11-2005, 01:13 PM
I assume since you don't have an airbrush that you'll be hand painting this. I wouldn't worry about the sanding since you'll have the paint build up to cover it but I would still use primer. I'd let the primer set up and make sure you have a good bond before putting your effort into the painting. Look for a primer designed for aluminum or at least bare metal. Good luck and don't forget to take pictures.

rlgrass
10-16-2005, 11:46 PM
New to the forums, but was reading this and wondering what the best kind of brush would be if you are doing it by hand?

(if you are looking for a more wavy design)

-Edit
heh, sorry dont mean to take over your post womp

GregoryJ
10-17-2005, 04:34 PM
You should use a brush as the very last option for painting larger surfaces like side panels. Auto supply stores have a great selection of "rattle can" paints that are of great quality and durability. That's the way to get the best results (shy of an actual professional paint gun). But if the brush is the only option then you need one that has a lot of very fine bristles. you want to make sure that the brush has synthetic fibers since they are much stronger and will last longer.

Womp
10-18-2005, 07:34 PM
Keeping in mind I have a laptop, so im only really doing the top panel, dont wanna do something crazy fancy, but still wanna fancy it up a little.