PDA

View Full Version : Tubing Diameter?

NightrainSrt4
04-01-2008, 04:53 PM
Currently I have 1/2" ID tubing on my rig as seen in the dropdown.

The mod that I am planning, I am thinking about changing over to 1/4" or 3/8". Is there a big issue switching from the bigger diameter to the lower one? As in, will I start having temperature issues?

Personally I think I prefer the smaller tubing, and I want the tubing in the new project to be cleaner than most big tubing can do.

Also will there be an issue going from the CPU to Northbridge blocks with the thinner tubing? I really don't want to have to use coils as they don't look all that great, but I will if I need to.

I am not going for huge overclocks. Currently I am set to 2.8Ghz and am pretty happy with it as its a happy medium between performance and heat output, so its not like I am aiming for 4GHz or something.

.Maleficus.
04-02-2008, 06:24 AM
Your temps won't drop too bad. I think for most people they use bigger tubing because they like the looks, not necessarily that it works a significant amount better than smaller tubing.

NightrainSrt4
04-02-2008, 10:12 AM
I figured it wouldn't be too much of an issue, as I am not running very hot to begin with, and my pumps a relatively strong pump.

I just have never used anything other than the 1/2" tubing.

Spawn-Inc
04-02-2008, 11:08 AM
drop to 3/8s, not 1/4". 1/2" provides better flow and less restrictions so when your redoing it make sure to make the loop as small as possible.

NightrainSrt4
04-02-2008, 01:30 PM
Hmmm. I guess 3/8 would be a good compromise. I really do like the look of the 1/4 but I've only seen it used in smaller cases. This case is the size of Nightrain, which I feel the 1/2 is just too big and bulky.

Now to look for a site that has nice 3/8 tubing and fittings. Maybe I'll pick up some 1/4 tubing just to see how it looks as well.

Anyone who has used the smaller diameter is free to discuss their experience as well. The more info the better.

Spawn-Inc
04-03-2008, 03:32 PM
look at jabtech (http://www.jab-tech.com/), they have that stuff i believe.

NightrainSrt4
04-03-2008, 04:07 PM
Cool. Thanks. Their site looks very much like Performance-pcs or whatever I was looking at the other day. But their prices, at least for tubing appear to be lower.

How is Primochill tubing? I was liking the look of the red, even though my coolant is red I thought the tubing might be a better color to match the plexi I am looking at. How does it hold up to kinking and whatnot. It is much cheaper here then the other places I looked at.

Primochill Red (http://www.jab-tech.com/Primochill-Tubing-Red-3-8-5-8-pr-3780.html) Though it is back to 5/8" outer diameter...

Or would I be better off sticking to the tried and true Tygon tubing, which is also cheaper here by a bit.
Tygon (http://www.jab-tech.com/Tygon-R-3603-3-8-ID-1-2-OD-Chemical-Tubing-pr-3871.html) Which is 1/2 OD. Tygon tends not to kink when curved right? Right now I am using Clearflex which isn't bad, but...

They have black Tygon as well, which would look cool, although I would have to swap the inner and outer plexi I think. As it is the design is black with red accents, but the tubes would disappear, so the inside of the case would probably have to be red with black accents if I used this.

So many options

Twigsoffury
04-20-2008, 01:21 AM
I dunno wouldn't you think that 3/8'th would provide more pressure? but im not sure which is better overall GPM or the pressure for water cooling.

Drum Thumper
04-20-2008, 04:39 AM
I dunno wouldn't you think that 3/8'th would provide more pressure? but im not sure which is better overall GPM or the pressure for water cooling.

They go hand in hand--the more GPM you throw at the tubing, the higher the pressure.

I'll be honest, I've never WC'd a computer, but I do have rather extensive experience with 1/2" OD tubing and electrical pumps from my homebrewing days.

Twigsoffury
04-20-2008, 01:22 PM
They go hand in hand--the more GPM you throw at the tubing, the higher the pressure.

I'll be honest, I've never WC'd a computer, but I do have rather extensive experience with 1/2" OD tubing and electrical pumps from my homebrewing days.

yah now that im not smashed it makes more sense.

jdbnsn
04-20-2008, 04:59 PM
I use 1/2 Tygon. You are right that it does tend to kink rather easily because the material is soft, but there is an upside to the softness of the material. Firmer tubing is not as malleable and when clamped down over a barb it takes more pressure to make a good seal. The soft Tygon forms to the barb better and seals great. Mine have never leaked a drop, and I hear the stuff lasts forever. Having said that, there is a small kink between the video cards but it isn't so bad I need the coils (which I also don't care for). Remember your physics when designing your loop with regards to GPM. It's not really necessary to blast the water through there quickly and especially not at high pressure. I was having problems with my loop for a while because after gaming at high performance for an extended period of time (sometimes as little as 10 minutes), the pressure rose so high that flow was impeded. It would splash around the blocks and in the rad and traveled more in spurts than steady flow. Obviously, that isn't good for a water cooling system to have stagnancy of any kind. I bled the air out of the loop and slowed the pump speed to 1/2 full and the temp stays lower, as well as no more flow problems. As long as the water moves across the metal surfaces of the blocks and makes good contact, you should be good to go even at rather low speeds.

Mach
04-29-2008, 09:12 PM
Tubing size doesn't matter as much as you'd think.

See this post for more info:

http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?t=515368&highlight=quick+connect

NightrainSrt4
04-30-2008, 08:26 AM
Hmmm...Thats pretty good info. The difference appears to be much less than I had thought.