PDA

View Full Version : Home Entertainment System (DVD Reverse Burning)

Ninjutsu PiloT
04-01-2008, 09:40 PM
I have a variety of DVDs and DVR files on my computer from digital downloads and my tuner.

I was thinking about taking the current DVDs and putting them on a HD and building a separate computer specifically for an entertainment system where I can put it on a TV and use a remote to control it.

My only problem is getting the current DVDs I have burned onto my computer. I know nothing about it and for that matter, if its "legal" but it sounds better than getting up to put a DVD in (sometimes I want to be lazy!).

Are there any suggestions on how I could do something like this or maybe a completely different way to go about it?

Thanks!

crenn
04-05-2008, 10:25 PM
What you're asking, we can't answer... it's a bit of a grey area.

Unless a mod can say that this is fine, I cannot answer your question.

SgtM
04-06-2008, 08:03 PM
I actually don't see any problems with that. According to regulations, you can have 1 backup copy of DVD's that you own. That said, I have all of my DVD's ripped to my external drive as ISO's. When I want to watch one, I mount it with daemon tools, and it plays. Pilot.. look up DVD Shrink, it's how I backed up all of my DVD's.

Ninjutsu PiloT
04-06-2008, 10:45 PM
Oorah, thanks.

crenn
04-06-2008, 11:23 PM
Well, there you go.

d_stilgar
04-07-2008, 11:15 AM
I have DVD shrink and like it a lot, but it doesn't always work with all DVDs. I've also found DVD Decrypter, and although it is a little slower than DVD shrink, it tends to rip the DVDs that DVD shrink cannot.

Again, if this breaks rules and is a little too dark a shade of gray, please delete my comment.

Luke122
04-07-2008, 03:07 PM
Yeah, this is pretty grey. I can say for sure that if you own the DVD's, then I dont see why you cant rip them as a "backup" and play them from there, to preserve the discs from gettting destroyed.

For vids that you have downloaded, this is very much illegal. If you own the original, yay. If not, nay. (neigh?)