PDA

View Full Version : Mouse moving/clicking/scrolling itself!

Lord Ned
04-02-2008, 12:04 PM
Okay, this is got me really freaking confused.
Yesterday, it started to like randomly move, in circles, and it would click, and occasionally scroll. So I naturally went "Oh ****." And reformatted. I thought all my problems would be over.

They arn't. It started moving again last night AFTER a reformat. I've unplugged the mouse and it CONTINUES TO MOVE.

What the hell is going on and how do i stop it? I don't see how it can be moving without the mouse plugged in.

I've also checked a million times for a wireless mouse to be connected as some sort of ****ty april fools day prank, but naw, there's nothing.

Halp.

Cannibal23
04-02-2008, 12:10 PM
there is only a few senarios i can think of providing the mouse is acctually disconnected like you say.

1. Someone has remote control software installed or a virus wich allows remote frame buffering with keyboard and mouse control

2. wireless mouse attached but i think you have eliminated that

3. if mouse keys are on (allows you to move the cursor with your numeric keypad) and something is pressing your buttons

4. something in windows in the mouse subsystem is corrupted somehow.

5. i like to end lists on odd numbers.

Lord Ned
04-02-2008, 12:12 PM
1. Reformatted. It actually moved a bit during windows setup.
2. I've only got 8 usb plugs and they are all full, only one mouse attached. The mouse that came with my keyboard has it's batteries out.
3. I haven't been pressing the buttons on my keypad.
4. I installed the mouse drivers and it's still doing it. >.>
5. Halllp.

Luke122
04-02-2008, 12:15 PM
try another mouse?

Lord Ned
04-02-2008, 12:17 PM
Again, how can it be caused by my mouse while it is UNPLUGGED. It's not casued by mouse input, but okay, lemme fire up the wireless one.

Lord Ned
04-02-2008, 12:21 PM
Okay, trying my keyboards wireless mouse now, and it's not moving. It's allways quite at first. Common mouse move, I dare you. :argh:

-edit-
Whoops double post sorry.

Luke122
04-02-2008, 12:24 PM
Oh sorry, i didnt see that it was happening even with the mouse unplugged!

My bad!

Maybe check for spyware/malware? I once had a keyboard with keys that would stick randomly.. no reason why. I finally got mad, and smashed it up.. my little brother then proudly announced that he had this program called Lights, and itwould randomly flash the lights ont he keyboard, and make keys stick.

:eek:

Something similar maybe?

Lord Ned
04-02-2008, 12:28 PM
Someone didn't read.

I just REFORMATTED to try and get rid of this frigging thing. So it's not something on my computer, but it's not my mouse. I swear, it's a ghost in the USB port.

Luke122
04-02-2008, 12:43 PM
1. Are you using a cordless mouse? If so, is it a 2.4ghz mouse? If so, could the receiver be picking up some other interference in that frequency range?

2. Does it happen with the keyboard unplugged?
3. Does it happen in safe mode?
4. Does it happen with NO mouse attached at all?

Cannibal23
04-02-2008, 12:47 PM
i was about to say if you have a wireless mouse and keyboard change it for a wired one. unplug the whole wireless reciever to ensure you arent getting interfearance from something else like a phone microwave or someone elses wireless equipment. i know you have the batteries out but that may not stop your pc from recieveing some random signals from something else.

Lord Ned
04-02-2008, 01:14 PM
@ Luke. It's a wire mouse, and switching mice seems to have worked for now.
So I guess the mouse kinda died, but that doesn't explain when it's unplugged... Anyways sent a ticket to Razer support asking for a new mouse.. ^.^

doug91
04-02-2008, 06:05 PM
Yea if it is a 2.4 or even a 2.6ghz wireless mouse, most cordless phone run on that same frequency. So it could be picking up interference from a cordless phone or something.
Also, just to make sure this computer is on a private network in your home/apartment right? I know public networks have software installed where an administrator can literally take over you computer. I do not think it is spyware/malware because it is downright silly. Most people are more interested in being covert and spying on your browsing habits or slinging you popups.

Lord Ned
04-02-2008, 07:56 PM
Thanks for reading guys.

A. ITS A WIRED MOUSE
B. It is a home network.
C. SWITCHING TO A WIRELESS MOUSE WORKS.

Lol.

grizzlyironbear
04-16-2008, 09:24 AM
ok since youve tried unplugging your mouse, and its still doing it. my best guess would be corrupt drivers. sometimes there is small glitches in disks, even windows install disks. i would try somewhere like driverguide.com for a new mouse driver first. install that driver and test it for the same thing.

halcyonforever
04-16-2008, 10:15 AM
I got one! is your cell phone near the wire.

I found that if I place my cell phone near the wire, during activity (call, cell tower heartbeat, text message) my mouse would jump around. Totally freaked me out at first but once I set my cellphone farther away it stopped.

Cobra
04-18-2008, 03:20 AM
personal opinion.
you've been hacked
with some of the malware out right now even a normal format will not remove the backdoor portion of a trojan as long as it is coded properly.
they can even be programmed to install into your bios of the mobo and relaunch after simple formats.
one thing to do to check is simply disconnect the pc from the net. run it for a bit and monitor it to see if it happens over a period of time. if not then you can bet someone has the pc compromised.
only way to get rid of an embedded trojan is a bios flash and low level format then reinstall fresh. dont bother with windows system restore or a quick format as they wont clean the mobo.
also be aware if the test proves true that your system has been compromised, you will need to change the password on every site you have passwords on and also any passwords to things like paypal e bay or bank as a keylogger is one of the first things 90% of the viruses install.
but dont do that until after you verify the infection and correct it.

halcyonforever
04-18-2008, 11:01 AM
seriously... try the cell phone. Set it on your mouse wire and call it...