PDA

View Full Version : [Help] Computer cannot connect to internet

EvasionX
04-02-2008, 12:40 PM
I know most of you hate first posters asking for something but this is like a bit serious for me because I miss all my games. Ever since I pressed the reset button on my router because my laptop had no internet for some strange reason, My computer decides to not have internet instead. I went on my computer and looked at the ip and changed my static ip into an automatic ip. The automatic ip didn't work too well and lets just say when I got my static ip back in the default gateway shut down for me. I'm on my laptop right now and checked my router's website. Everything seemed to be normal nothing changed at all. Not even the password I had put on it at the login screen. Before I changed the automatic ip and such the default gateway was working and for some reason my computer said it was able to connect to the internet. My laptop is my only hope in helping my computer. I went into Command Prompt and did the command ipconfig /all and it says that my ip routing has been disabled and my wins also. My Dhcp is up and running it says.

Here is my gaming rig that XFire scanned for me before I lost the internet.
Manufacturer: Dell Computer Corporation
Processor: Intel(R) Celeron(R) CPU 2.80GHz
Memory: 510MB RAM
Hard Drive: 56 GB
Video Card: Intel(R) 82865G Graphics Controller
Monitor: Plug and Play Monitor
Sound Card: SoundMAX Digital Audio
Speakers/Headphones:
Keyboard: USB Root Hub
Mouse: USB Root Hub
Mouse Surface:
Operating System: Windows XP Home Edition (5.1, Build 2600) Service Pack 2 (2600.xpsp_sp2_qfe.070227-2300)

My network connecter is: Intel(R) PRO/100 VE Network Connecter
My router is a DIR-625 D-Link
My internet is DSL

Nothing is wrong with the Router or the Modem. The Technical Support from the internet company I used said it was just the computer. I have to also call Intel or Microsoft about this. I also troubleshoot on msn (just trying to log on and it doesn't work and then click "Troubleshoot". It says that my default gateway was off. My xfire says my DNS is off too.

I can't remember some of the things I was suppose to say so if I do I'll edit this post.
Please post all possible solutions here and I'll do them. I'll also reply saying if it worked or not.

Note: I can't install stuff on my laptop and send on my computer. This all has to be done on my computer. Laptop is only for asking for help and such like I am doing right now.

Luke122
04-02-2008, 12:48 PM
Let me get this straight,

The router and modem are working fine, and the laptop is able to connect to the internet through the router and modem, correct?

If so, does the desktop PC have a link light on the ethernet port it's plugged into on the router?
If not, try another port.

If so, does the desktop receive an IP address from the router?
If not, does the laptop receive an IP from the router? (Could MAC filtering on the router be enabled?)

If so, can you ping the router from the laptop and/or the desktop pc?
If not, try this from a cmd prompt (on the desktop pc): ipconfig /flushdns

EvasionX
04-02-2008, 01:00 PM
Yes everything is fine and laptop able to connect. I tried all 4 of my ports on my router and the light says it is working fine. I do not know where to check if I am receiving a ip address from the router. I might need help with that. As I was saying my ipconfig /all says my IP Routing is disabled so that might be it. My laptop also says it is disabled. I have no clue you might have to tell me how to see that. I can probably ping my default gateway and such due to the fact I'm here on my laptop. My computer can't ping to any website or even the default gateway. Sorry if I can't answer your questions correctly. I flushed my dns.

Luke122
04-02-2008, 01:09 PM
If you do an "ipconfig /all" on the desktop, the IP address should be similar to the one on the laptop. (If it starts with 169, then it's not getting an IP from the router).

If the IP on the desktop is similar to the one on the laptop, can you ping the gateway (router is technically the gateway) from the desktop?

EvasionX
04-02-2008, 01:26 PM
I have a static ip on my computer so if you want the router to send me an ip then I have to make the ip be generated automaticly. I went on www.whatismyip.com with my laptop and it says my ip is 142.161.230.197. On ipconfig /all it says my ipv4 is: 192.168.0.183. Do you want me to try pinging from the automatic ip ? with my computer.

slytherock
04-02-2008, 01:27 PM
You will probably end up doing it again, so let's get this out of the way right now: unplug everything, retry to reset your modem and router, reconnect everything.

I had this problem once, the router gave the comp 1 and 2 the same IP . so both worked fine when only one of them was plugued, but at the second I connected the other: no more connection.

EvasionX
04-02-2008, 01:29 PM
Modem doesn't have a reset button. Do I just shut that off ? Does the router reset if it's unplugged ?

slytherock
04-02-2008, 01:41 PM
modem always have a reset. sometimes you have to find them. model of your modem?

Luke122
04-02-2008, 01:44 PM
Dont use a static IP on your computer, unless you are sure that it's in the same subnet as the IP's your router is assigning.

What does this mean? Your laptop is 192.168.0.18e, then your desktop IP should be 192.168.0.X where X is any number from 1 - 254 (except 183 which is your laptop) and either 1 or 254 (which probably your router). Your best bet is to set the desktop to dynamic IP (obtain automatically).

I went on www.whatismyip.com with my laptop and it says my ip is 142.161.230.197.

That is the IP your router has obtained from your ISP. That's not important right now though.. we are just looking for the internal IP address (192.168.0.something).

If you do "ipconfig /all" on the laptop, you'll see "gateway". That is the IP of your router. Try to ping that address from the desktop and from the laptop.

EvasionX
04-02-2008, 02:01 PM
Speedstream 5260 Ethernet Adsl is the model of my modem. My static ip was 192.168.0.136. I changed my ip back to dynamic, looked in command prompt (command: ipconfig /all) and now my ip is: 169.254.121.72. My laptop probably has a different ip because it's wireless.

slytherock
04-02-2008, 02:10 PM
My simili girlfriend have this model: look under the modem, you'll find the reset pin

EvasionX
04-02-2008, 02:16 PM
Lol I'll do it after Luke has no more solutions. I think he has something in mind and he could probably help me.

Edit: Rock, does my modem reset when it's unplugged or do I have to reset it when it's plugged ?
I hold the reset button for 10 seconds right ? then what ?

Luke122
04-02-2008, 04:52 PM
If you set your desktop to dynamic, and it is getting a 169.x.x.x IP, that means that it cannot see the router, or that the router is not assigning it an IP address.

In the router configuration, I would check to see if MAC filtering is enabled. If so, that would explain why the desktop is not able to connect.

To reset your router, press in the reset button, and hold it until the lights on the front all begin to flash, usually 10-20 seconds. This will reset it back to factory defaults, and dump all settings from it, including wireless security and any static settings that you have made. Resetting to factory defaults should be a last effort, just because of all the config has to be redone.

Do you have more than one ethernet port on your desktop PC? Is it possible that you have it connected to the wrong port? It would still show a physical link light, but would be unable to communicate.

Do you have any antivirus software and/or firewall software on your desktop PC? It's possible that software on your computer is preventing it from communicating with the router. Try to disable any firewall and/or antivirus software, and try to run the "repair" option on the network connection to see if it picks up a valid IP. (192.168.0.x)

EvasionX
04-02-2008, 05:14 PM
How do you enable Mac Filter ? Here is a emulator of he routers page: http://www.support.dlink.com/emulators/dir625/login.html

Luke122
04-02-2008, 05:45 PM
On the top, click "Advanced", then click "Access Control" on the left side. If it's enabled, try disabling it.

If it's disabled, then I would try a new network cable between the computer and the router if possible.

Have you tried to connect the desktop PC directly to the modem, and bypassing the router?

EvasionX
04-02-2008, 07:29 PM
I disabled my virus scanner and firewall and such with the Technician from the internet company I use. Nothing really happened. The access control is disabled. I am going to try a new network cable right now. How is connecting to the modem going to connect to the router ? Only way I know how to connect to modem is to take away the router. If you want me to do that it might take some time. I use PPPoE so I need a username and password for that which I already have. I tried Rock's way and resetting my router and such (just made my router back to normal now) but nothing worked. My modem however is a fag and decided to not have a reset button. So my only hope now is for you to find a conclusion Luke. Sorry for the long reply. My computer only has 1 port for a network cable. To connect to the modem itself I have to follow these instructions: http://www.mts.ca/portal/site/mts/menuitem.3daf24924ae9c4e50e14081031248a0c/?vgnextoid=bef0f6105a0b1010VgnVCM1000000408120aRCR D&vgnextchannel=1acc07731918b010VgnVCM1000000408120a RCRD

Wait. Don't give me any solution yet. I think I got it working.

doug91
04-02-2008, 08:39 PM
Maybe I can help. By bypass the router Luke means, you take the network cable that goes from the back of the modem into the back of the router. Instead of having it go into the router simply put it into the ethernet port of your PC. Then follow the instructions on that mts site.
If you really reset your router, than that really shouldn't be the issue. Routers are factory configured to be plug n play. All default settings. If I understand correctly, your desktop is wired so that takes away a lot of possible faults. You have probably done this already but in the command prompt on the desktop can you type ipconfig/all. Then copy and paste everything it says onto the thread?

Luke122
04-03-2008, 11:04 AM
Because he uses PPPoE, if he resets the router, he'll have to reconfigure that too. :mad:

The laptop is working fine through the router's wireless, so I'm 100% convinced it's the desktop causing the trouble.

If you go into the Control Panel, then into System, then Hardware, and finally, 'Device Manager', do you see any Yellow !'s or Red X's in there?