PDA

View Full Version : Wire source

vastonecat
04-05-2008, 08:47 PM
I was simply wondering if anyone had a good source for the various wires we use such as the power cables and so on that we are all finding a way to lengthen or shorten. I personally think having a reel or 2 of a common gauge would be very handy when modding a PSU so that your cables are longer without having to hack up more than 1 set of cables.
Or does everyone just hack and solder all their cables from older units? :?

SgtM
04-05-2008, 09:31 PM
Or does everyone just hack and solder all their cables from older units? :?

That's pretty much what I do. If you're throwing a PSU away, cut all the wires off of it first.

Logikal
04-06-2008, 10:22 AM
Go to a Audio shop and ask them for a spool of 18 gauge speaker wire. They come in 500 ft spools and are black and red wires. SO your actually getting 1000 ft of wire to use. I know we pay only 23 bucks and would sell the spool for 50 - 75 depending on if the costumer.

Xpirate
04-06-2008, 01:26 PM
I agree with SgtM. I have lots of wire and fans from old broken power supplies. My wife hates the stash of junk, but it is not really as large as it could be.

vastonecat
04-06-2008, 08:45 PM
Thanks for the responses guys. As I said I was just wondering and that basically answers the question as far as the wire goes. While working on My Black Box (http://www.thebestcasescenario.com/forum/showthread.php?t=13709) I noticed that every 3pin fan connector was a different color ( i.e. brown, white, blue, and black) all of the molex connectors were either white or black, and no company seemed to use tthe same exact color wire for anything. Yes, you could tell by the pin outs but it just all looked like it would almost be easier :? to start with a fresh reel of wire and do it all yourself. So again thanks for the responses. :)

Drum Thumper
04-06-2008, 09:26 PM
I went the other way--went down to Ace and dropped ~$20 on two rolls of 18 ga, one red and one black. 100 ft. each. I should be set for a lil while.