PDA

View Full Version : Liven up the other side of my case

Caboose12
10-15-2005, 10:46 PM
I am new to actual case modding, before i would put better fans and junk in, a lot like the noobs out there but I want to become an eventual elite here :) high hopes yes?

I really want to do something to the boring side of my case, what i was thinking is have a facehugger from the alien movies on it, but ideally have it "under the case's skin." My question is what would I use to put my idea on the case? I was thinking about buying the model kit and cutting off the bottoms, making them flat and gluing it on, but I know that is a bad idea.

Clay? Bad idea too right?

Xato
10-15-2005, 10:54 PM
I wouldnt go with the clay if you have easy access to a model which has the exact dimensions you are after.
From what you've said, my idea would be to get the model and yes, shave some of the bottom of it off so it fits closer to the dise of your case. But what i see from your 'under the cases skin' idea is for a skin like substance to cover that whole panel and the facehugger. This 'skin' could then be shrunk, or sucked in, to show the details of the face hugger underneath.

Ofcourse this is just my take on the 'under the skin' idea.
If you didnt want to go with the skin, i'd just suggest using the model kit, and using bondo to blend, as it will give that organic texture when worked correctly (eg. alien mouse mod)

Caboose12
10-15-2005, 11:10 PM
cool, thanks for the quick reply.

Now... I guess i have to hunt for a facehugger model that would fit around one side of a case and attach... somewhat to the other-side if you know what I mean.

If i had a scanner, I could scan my general idea that I have written down on paper. Maybe a quick photoshop sketch.

Xato
10-15-2005, 11:12 PM
Yeh, the backbone to any mod is planning, make sure you know what ur gonna do before you do it. Sketches, notes, test mods all help.

And the quick reply was just luck =P

Caboose12
10-15-2005, 11:43 PM
assall.de/movie-prop/ alien3/a3_21.jpg

imagine that on the side of the case and that is kinda what I want.

longer legs that reach all the way around to the window, just on the edge of it somewhat. Most likely lifted off the ground with some glowing case feet. then the tail that plants the egg in the host goes around the side fan, or maybe underneath the window... good ideas are flowing now

Xato
10-16-2005, 01:55 AM
That will look awesome if you can pull it off well.
Are you painting the model yourself? or does it come pre painted?

GregoryJ
10-16-2005, 02:05 AM
the other side of the case would be good for a custom plexi water cooling res or something

Caboose12
10-16-2005, 12:23 PM
I don't really know if the model comes pre-painted... I kinda hope so. But, if not, I should have some model primer and paint somewhere in my attic.

What did you mean by the water cooling thing? I thought that most of that was internal.

GregoryJ
10-16-2005, 03:42 PM
Sorry... What i ment was on some cases there is a little space behind the mother board mounting surface and the outside panel of the case. If you can some how build a plexi glass resevoir into that space instead of the standard external mounting or using up a 5 1/4" bay... try this link. this is what im talking about: http://www.xoxide.com/angel-eye-water-window-reservoir-clear.html 8)

Xato
10-17-2005, 09:10 AM
Or you could do it Defyant Style and mount the reservior on the side of the case like this...
http://www.thebestcasescenario.com/forum/showthread.php?t=549&page=1
(second picture shows it best)

Ofcourse, thats only if you have water cooling, and feel like changing your reservior.