PDA

View Full Version : WiFi Card Upgrade

The boy 4rm oz
04-08-2008, 03:16 AM
I am upgrading my D-Link AirPlus G (54mbps) to this card.

TP-Link 108mbps card:
http://www.tp-link.com/products/product_des.asp?id=17

I am going for this card because it is only $39.00AUD and all the other 108mbps cards are $70-85AUD. The cards are all the same so it doesn't really matter.

I was also thinking of getting one of these.
TP-Link Antenna:
http://www.tp-link.com/products/product_des.asp?id=58

I can get this antenna for only $19.00AUD which is a real bargain.

I just want to know weather the antenna is worth it. Oh and before you ask if my router can support this upgrade (Belkin N1 MIMO Router) yes it can. Why I don't get a 300mbps card you ask, so I can take full advantage of the routers bandwidth? Well the answer is simple, none of the N1 wireless products work, I had 2 of the D-Link N1 cards ($149.00AUD :eek:) and they didn't work, poor driver support and a crappy product in general.

simon275
04-08-2008, 05:04 AM
Even though it is an omni-directional antenna it is 5dbi so it will have more horizontal range but the vertical range will be decreased so the antenna will only be worth it if the access point is on the same floor and some distance. Otherwise it will be a waste as money.

The boy 4rm oz
04-08-2008, 05:28 AM
Well we have a single story house and the modem and router would be about 10-20metres away from my PC. However, the signal has to pass through 3-4 walls. I may just save the $20 and put it towards my RAM upgrade.

Bopher
04-08-2008, 09:41 PM
i would say get the card situated first and see what your signal is looking like. Then buy the antenna later if its needed. Most wireless cards/routers have an indoor range of 150ft (50 meters?) I have a cheap belkin at Wendys and my smartphone still gets signal in the lobby which is probably a good 40-60 feet. But is has 2 grills, multiple registers, 3 walls and countless stainless steel covering, i.e. lots of interference crap, between the office and the lobby.

crenn
04-09-2008, 02:03 AM
Antennae isn't really needed. btw, TP-Link adapters are very good (I use a USB2.0 adapter)

The boy 4rm oz
04-09-2008, 02:29 AM
Ok sounds good, no antenna for me. Thanks for all your help guys.