PDA

View Full Version : Long Range Problem

Zephik
04-08-2008, 07:45 AM
So lets do this quick and to the point.

I want to connect to the wireless router at my grandparents house, about a half mile away.

How can I do this? I was thinking of some kind of reasonably priced (around $80 or less, preferably less) long range directional antenna or something. But I don't really know where to look or what to look for. I don't really have the time or patience either.

I did a quick newegg search and dug these up, not sure if they are what I'm looking for though?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Productcompare.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=2052810342%201572737784&CompareItemList=N82E16833995003%2CN82E16833164110% 2CN82E16833984003%2CN82E16833980012&page=3&bop=And

I won't be here to check replies for about a week or so, so just keep em coming and I'll do my best to check back here when I can.

Thanks for the help, hope everyone is doing well. ^_^

Zephik
04-08-2008, 08:00 AM
Maybe this?

http://www.hawkingtech.com/products/productlist.php?CatID=32&FamID=58&ProdID=373

As far as I can tell, which I wouldn't trust my money on, it can hook up to any wireless device (like my pci adapter card?) and boost signal up to 2 miles?

Not sure how much it costs though, or if its even what I'm thinking it is.

:think:

NightrainSrt4
04-08-2008, 04:17 PM
I don't think you are going to find anything that is going to boost signal a half a mile. And if there is such a thing, it isn't going to be within your price range.

IIRC
Much of this is because the FCC limits on wireless radio transmissions. Most frequencies (due to a power limit) are essentially limited to ~200ish feet, atleast FM/AM signals. The FCC doesn't want one person's wireless to have ill affect on another's, as all devices MUST accept incoming interference.

802.11g in optimal outdoor conditions can do ~300 feet assuming no other major interference.

802.11n can have outdoor distances ~700-800 feet under similar conditions.

Both of these are still far under your 2600ish feet you are trying to go. The upcoming 802.11y should be able to do that kind of distance if all goes well, but don't count on it any time soon, and not affordably anywho. And I am not sure this is even going to be a public release or more used for city wifi type stuff.

Those you linked really aren't going to get you a whole lot of distance. If you were on the edge of where you might be getting signal, you might get an extra bar or two from those, but its not going to magically make a 300 foot signal hit 2600ish feet.

For that kind of distance you can try contacting your service company and see if they can rent you a fiber line between the houses. I hear that isn't too expensive in some areas, but I've only heard of it for like house to house, not 1/2 mile so the additional cost might just be as much as getting another line run to your house.

Trace
04-09-2008, 06:20 PM
I just bought a 24DBi antenna and was able to pick up wifi from a city ~30 miles away with NetStumbler. Just get to reasonably powerful antennas one on each end and aim them at each other. That should work just fine.

NightrainSrt4
04-09-2008, 10:34 PM
I just bought a 24DBi antenna and was able to pick up wifi from a city ~30 miles away with NetStumbler. Just get to reasonably powerful antennas one on each end and aim them at each other. That should work just fine.

Hmmm... I haven't seen any antenna's give that far of a range increase. You may be 30miles away from the city but I am wondering how how far out from the city their signal reaches. Also, there has to be a ton of crap between a city and you, which makes me think their signal is pumping out close to you to begin with, as I can't see a 24DBi antenna going that far on its own through trees/houses/buildings/etc.

Also, one thing to note about the ones he listed is that they are directional antennas. Assuming it does reach that distance, for the most part the signal is going to be cut off in the other direction. Thats something to think about if someone is trying to connect from the other side of the antenna.

Another thing to note is that not all wireless cards can have an antenna attached to them. I don't know if he has a laptop or desktop card, but he may only be able to attach the one antenna to the AP, and not to his side.

None of the cheaper antennas I have seen have given that kind of range, and at a certain price it almost becomes easier/more reliable/cheaper just to get another connection.

Edit: If you can find an antenna that will work for him, and get him a signal boost of 1/2 mile through whatever may be in the way between them then by all means please share which antennas as I could use one for my families home. I just can't recommend one for him as I haven't seen one that works at that kind of distance, regardless of what it is labeled to do, and wouldn't want him to waste his money on a product that can't do what he needs it to.

Luke122
04-10-2008, 03:55 AM
RAWR!

Cheap Chinese Cookware + USB Wifi Devices = huge range?! (http://www.usbwifi.orconhosting.net.nz/)

Might not be what you want, but still a killer read. :D

Drum Thumper
04-10-2008, 04:47 AM
RAWR!

Cheap Chinese Cookware + USB Wifi Devices = huge range?! (http://www.usbwifi.orconhosting.net.nz/)

Might not be what you want, but still a killer read. :D

3 to 5 km LOS increase? That's 2 to 3 miles on LOS. Now I'm a bit curious...

I'm guessing 802.11b/g/possibly n--wonder if it would work ad-hoc as well?

+rep Luke, you've piqued my curiosity. I might have to build a woktenna and do some tests out at my parents place--there's more than enough open space for LOS tests.

OvRiDe
04-10-2008, 05:47 AM
If they can do this .. http://www.wifi-toys.com/wi-fi.php?a=articles&id=91

You should be able to pull it off.. :D

There are several different unidirectional antennas that should be able to do 1/2 mile, but the trick is you need "line of site" which means it will need to be pretty high up if you got any tree's between you and your grandparents.

I will see what I can dig up, I looked into this a while back.

Here is another fun one along the same line as Luke's .. http://www.instructables.com/id/Uni-Directional-WIFI-Range-Extender/

NightrainSrt4
04-10-2008, 09:35 AM
Cool links. I had seen some of the big huge things to go long distances, just haven't seen to much luck with the cheap retail antennas.

He also didn't specify if there was anything between the houses. Where I live its impossible to find 1/2 mile of open land between two houses so I just assumed he was full of trees and or houses and crap.

But dude, totally attach a huge dish to the side of the houses, but you have to take pictures. Not only of the dish but your families reaction :D. Best to install it when they are not home, that way you get the best picture when they see it :eek:

Drum Thumper
04-10-2008, 01:29 PM
But dude, totally attach a huge dish to the side of the houses, but you have to take pictures. Not only of the dish but your families reaction :D. Best to install it when they are not home, that way you get the best picture when they see it :eek:

Might be time to hit up craigslist for a C-Band dish lol...

Luke122
04-18-2008, 11:34 AM
I'm on the hunt for some cookware to try this.. I've got a friend who is a couple blocks away, and I'd love to be able to share internet with him.. poor guy cant get anything (within his budget) where he's at, so if this works, he's set. :D

halcyonforever
04-18-2008, 12:06 PM
Funny thing about any dish, is they are really very simple devices... just a parabolic reflector pointed at an antenna. When I worked for Dish I actually could get signals without an actual "dish" just the LNB pointed VERY precisely at the satellite. The dish it's self just magnifies and focuses the signal and allows some tolerance.

would be interesting to rig up a mini-microwave tower for focused distribution of wi-fi.