PDA

View Full Version : Fresh Meat

halcyonforever
04-10-2008, 04:22 PM
Hey everybody.

I figured I would go ahead an say hello. I've lurked here for a long time, and finally wanted to sign up and post.

Plus this board is not blocked at work so it provides a valuable release for me.

I'm 27, have been rigging computers for about 10 years now. Never really dove into custom modding, but still remember when the first case windows came out...

I'm currently working on a project to use evaporative cooling on an old Proliant 3000 Tower server case that I picked up. I'm just now moving past design to materials aquisition and I don't want to post a work log until I have a signifigant progress to show. I've got some 3D markups and lots of ideas. Fun thing about that case is I have LOTS of room. I think I still have about 2 cubic feet of empty space that I could fill.

John

jbaldwinroberts
04-10-2008, 05:09 PM
Evaporative cooling sounds interesting.

Welcome to the forums

Joe

Omega
04-10-2008, 05:55 PM
Welcome to TBCS.

Read the rules. Know the rules. Love the rules. Live the rules.

-Omega

:)

jdbnsn
04-10-2008, 06:00 PM
Welcome to TBCS John, hope you find everything you need here and have tons of fun transforming the ordinary.

killergamer
04-10-2008, 06:00 PM
Welcome to TBCS.

O that sounds cooooooool. The whole evaporative cooling thing. You should show us some of your 3D work. I promise I wont laugh. (As I'm very bad at doing 3D stuff so when I look at cool stuff it makes me go awwwwwwwww)

Well any ways be safe,be kind, be respectful!

Crimson Sky
04-10-2008, 09:15 PM
Welcome to TBCS John!~!

Eclecticos
04-10-2008, 11:43 PM
Welcome to TBCS.

Read the rules. Know the rules. Love the rules. Live the rules.

-Omega

:)

Lol.. .You are seriously itching to bring down the ban hammer, omega. :D

Omega
04-10-2008, 11:56 PM
Lol.. .You are seriously itching to bring down the ban hammer, omega. :D

Everybody else beats me to it.

:hurt:

simon275
04-11-2008, 01:23 AM
Everybody else beats me to it.

:hurt:

Your time to use the sacred anointed weapon that is the ban hammer will come.

Back on topic

*waves "Welcome to the forums John!"

halcyonforever
04-11-2008, 10:50 AM
Thanks for the warm welcome.

Omega:
"Lectitare perceptorum, agnoscere perceptorum, amare perceptorum, vivere perceptorum!"

The project suffered a minor setback today, I recieved the primary reactor vessel chamber today and found that it took up a signifigant portion of the space in the case. So I have to do a bit of a re-design, however the advatage of the huge case is I sill have room to work.

Preview of the project:

I am re-building my case to be essentially a minature nuclear power plant. The motherboard serves as the "reactor core" sitting in a pool type coolant, that will be circulated through two large hyperbolic cooling towers. In the towers; evaporative cooling systems will keep the primary loop coolant below ambient and recirculate a secondary cooling liquid fluid through a induced draft drip loop. I have a design for a system of control rods that at the push of a button would reduce the temperature of the primary coolant drastically using ammonium nitrate in an endothermic reaction in the event of a meltdown (over heating), but that system will probably be added later.

The theme will be very industrial-clean, with advanced controls on the front pannel designed to look like the control panel for a reactor. (Lots of dials, readouts, blinking lights... things that go "Bing")

I've got some 3D training, but sketchup is making me pull my hair out, the program I learned on (Cinema 4D) is very different and the controls are just buggering me now.

XcOM
04-11-2008, 02:43 PM
welcome to the forums, enjoy your say and may it be a long one

halcyonforever
04-11-2008, 03:09 PM
I plan to...

Unless Websense suddenly realizes this is a forum and starts blocking it...