PDA

View Full Version : Onboard Soundcard not working. Specs inside

Tarenmor
04-11-2008, 11:14 AM
Motherboard - M3A32-MVP with the wi-fi option

Processor - Phenom 9600, 2.3ghz with 4 cores

RAM - 4 gigs of GEIL PC2-6400

Video card - ATI HD3870 ( Currently only 1, I fully intend to throw in the other once I stop pretending I'm a noob and upgrade my PSU from a 600w )

HD - 500g Sata

OS - Windows XP Pro - SP2, latest build

Story - In a fit of emotional turmoil I purchased the parts to a new computer to distract myself from IRL issues. Received parts in good order today from Newegg. I put them together, turn on the machine. Sound works off the MoBo with no issue. Once I installed windows, I took only enough time to download Firefox before I began to install drivers. Motherboard drivers that came with the MoBo were installed first. Followed by the ATI's drivers. At some point, the onboard soundcard stopped working. Took thirty minute break to have lunch, and come back to the problem.

What I have tried - Uninstalling drivers. turning on, and then off the soundcard in the BIOS. At this point I discovered an interesting factoid. The sound works through the USB header with my headphones. According to software, the sound works. Thinking ti might be my speakers, I swapped in my older computer. They worked fine. Swapped them back to my new computer. No sound. No logical reason for this to be happening.

=( Help me? Please? I really want a working computer so I can begin to mod and not have this lame Help me post be my first and only thing on TBCS!

Thanks in advance, currently I'm surfing the net looking through various sites for aid. Will update if anything changes.

Tarenmor
04-13-2008, 11:14 PM
Problem solved - I removed the wrong set of drivers. Removed the right ones, reinstalled. Working wonderful. Listening to 'Hey jude" right now. ^_^ Tis glorious!

Now... for my tardis Liquid cooled PC..

cvitullo
04-15-2008, 03:09 AM
yeah, i had the same problem with a 3850.
the ati hdmi audio drivers take over, and you just have to switch it over, most of the time you can just select a different audio device, i think.

for others :)