PDA

View Full Version : Computer not working after a mobo update

Hanski
04-12-2008, 05:47 AM
Alright, so i changed my motherboard to the DFI LANPARTY UT NF680i LT SLI-T2R and when i tried to power on the system, it failed. Onloy ran for 10 secs and powerd off. Alright, my stock CPU cooler had broken. So i got myself a new Zalman, and started to try it. It didnt even post when it posted me a message saying something like CMOS checksum error and that my CPU had been changed. WTF?

So theres 2 options. Press F1 to continue or press DEL to enter setup. So i press F1 and the computer just shuts down and when i try to restart it, all i get is fans running and no response. Well, i clear my CMOS and then press DEL at the next time and put in the correct settings (i believe them to be correc) and then i save & exit CMOS. Whee, this time it even POSTs! So to tell my HDD has 2 different windows', the first one being working and the second one being broken. So i select the first one and it begins to load windows. After 5 secs it flashes a bluescreen and restarts. Alright, im familiar with this problem. The hard disk is not in the first slot and/or it is configured as RAID. So i go to CMOS and disable EVERYTHING related to RAID. Then i try to startup windows. WTF? Still bluescreen. This time it powered off. It doesn't work at all right now. Its real shame cause i've owned only 3 motherboards (this being the 3rd) and the first one and this refuses to work. Im really quite sure its the motherboard being broken.

However a friend of mine suggested that its the CPU. Another friend told its the RAM. another told its the GPU. and the fourth told its the PSU.

I really need help with this since it even refuses to beep. only response i get is fans running.

The rest of the specs:
CPU: Core 2 Duo E6400
GPU: Gainward GeForce 7900GS
RAM: 2 sticks of some chinese 1gb 800mhz memory
PSU: Zalman 460APS (I would be quite surprised to hear this is broken since its quite damn nice PSU)
HDD: Seagate Diamondmax 250gb

doug91
04-12-2008, 01:07 PM
Wait wait wait. Don't go RMAing anything yet.
the million dollar question is this: Is your Operating system Vista???

If it is then the problem is that Vista puts the bootsection onto the BIOS chip of your motherboard. I have no idea why they do this, probably so a virus can't wipe out the file. Anyways, when you replace your motherboard Vista goes looking for the Bootsection file and doesn't find it!!! So you have to re-install the whole OS.