PDA

View Full Version : Ultra Vs. The World

Drum Thumper
04-22-2008, 09:40 PM
http://dockets.justia.com/docket/court-flmdce/case_no-6:2008cv00503/case_id-212287/
Ultra is suing practically every modular psu maker for copyright infringement.

I'll bet this gets laughed out of court.

noopypoop
04-22-2008, 09:49 PM
Wow thats amazing ,all those names of companies their suing.

Drum Thumper
04-22-2008, 09:54 PM
This is insanity. It'd be like Ford suing every major car company for copyright infringement.

And here's the real kicker--they (Ultra) weren't the first ones to make a 'modular' PSU--IIRC PerformancePC's offered an aftermarket mod in 2003.

EDIT: Here's a link from Virtual-Hideout:

http://www.virtual-hideout.net/reviews/ppcs_ultima_psu/index.shtml

noopypoop
04-22-2008, 10:33 PM
Plaintiff:
Ultra Products, Inc.

Defendant:

Antec, Inc., Channel Well Technology Co. Ltd., Channel Well Technology Co. U.S.A., Inc., Corsair Memory, Inc., Enhance Electronics Co. Ltd., E-Power Technology/PCMCIS, SPI Electronic Co. Ltd., FSP Group USA Corp., Koolance USA, Mushkin, Inc., OCZ Technology, Sea Sonic Electronics Co. Ltd., Silverstone Technology, Inc., Spire-Bytecom Fanner Corporation, Tagan Technology Co. Ltd., Tagan Technology Co., Thermaltake Technology Co. Ltd., Thermaltake, Inc., Topower Computer Industrial Co. Ltd., Topower Computer U.S.A., Inc., Zalman Technology Company Ltd. and Zalman USA, Inc.

This is gold.

xRyokenx
04-22-2008, 10:36 PM
Man... I hope a webcomic writes about this, it'd be really fricken' hilarious.

crenn
04-23-2008, 01:01 AM
Click here to view search results for patents (http://www.google.com/patents?as_q=modular+power+supply&num=10&btnG=Google+Search&as_epq=&as_oq=&as_eq=&as_pnum=&as_vt=&as_pinvent=ultra&as_pasgnee=&as_pusc=&as_pintlc=&as_drrb_is=q&as_minm_is=1&as_miny_is=2008&as_maxm_is=1&as_maxy_is=2008&as_drrb_ap=q&as_minm_ap=1&as_miny_ap=2008&as_maxm_ap=1&as_maxy_ap=2008)

As far as I can tell, Ultra holds no patents for modular power supplies.

OvRiDe
04-23-2008, 01:47 AM
Click here to view search results for patents (http://www.google.com/patents?as_q=modular+power+supply&num=10&btnG=Google+Search&as_epq=&as_oq=&as_eq=&as_pnum=&as_vt=&as_pinvent=ultra&as_pasgnee=&as_pusc=&as_pintlc=&as_drrb_is=q&as_minm_is=1&as_miny_is=2008&as_maxm_is=1&as_maxy_is=2008&as_drrb_ap=q&as_minm_ap=1&as_miny_ap=2008&as_maxm_ap=1&as_maxy_ap=2008)

As far as I can tell, Ultra holds no patents for modular power supplies.

I dunno .. this kinda looks like one.. ;)

http://www.google.com/patents?id=-mZ7AAAAEBAJ&printsec=abstract&zoom=4&dq=%22Ultra+Products,+Inc%22

Really HP was the first back in 2000 with this patent...

http://www.google.com/patents?id=cHgLAAAAEBAJ&pg=PA1&dq=%22modular+power+supply%22+computer&source=gbs_selected_pages&cad=1_1#PPP1,M1

But it is not quite the same.. its a modular powersupply, but modular in a different way.

And here's the real kicker--they (Ultra) weren't the first ones to make a 'modular' PSU--IIRC PerformancePC's offered an aftermarket mod in 2003.

I guess when it comes down to it.. its not the first person to do it.. Its the first person to PATENT it.

Also PerformancePC didn't manufacture the PSU, from what I read it was a Stock Antec PSU, that they dismantled, sleeved, and added the molex connectors to the harness.

I gotta say, I am kind of in ULTRA's corner on this one. I think its kind of crappy when you go to the trouble of patening something and then have it basically copied, just because the copying company(s) are big enough to either intimidate the little guy or keep it tied up in court so long that its not profitable to fight it. I know it happens every day, really its the consumer that wins overall, but still just seems to be a little bit of dirty pool in my opinion.

The one thing that does bug me, is why these companies wait as long as they do to actually file suit. It must be so they can broaden the suit to include more companies, but you would think if they had filed against the first company that released a modular PSU, alot of the other companies wouldn't have followed, and this would be no big deal.

crenn
04-23-2008, 02:02 AM
Yep, that's their patent. The title just doesn't have modular in it. But I'm not on Ultra's side.

Bopher
04-23-2008, 08:37 PM
Heres (http://www.google.com/patents?id=zfM0AAAAEBAJ&dq=modular+power+supply+inventor) the earliest one I found. And the company listed as working with them, doesn't even do them anymore if I'm reading it right but my head is killing me right now.

chaksq
04-24-2008, 04:29 PM
They can't have my Silverstone ST75F, never.

Not to mention from what I've heard and from reviews Ultra doesn't make a great PSU other than being modular and looking pretty.

Frankly this is stupid, they started a trend. This isn't some great leap in design requiring massive amounts of development. As evidenced by the Performance-PCs kit an enthusiast can come up with basically the same type of setup.

mtekk
04-24-2008, 05:18 PM
I guess when it comes down to it.. its not the first person to do it.. Its the first person to PATENT it.

Yes, and no. What will happen is that the patent will be challenged as prior art was found. All any of the defendants have to do is demonstrate prior art (by any party other than the holder of the patent) for the patent and the lawsuit and patent become invalid.

FuzzyPlushroom
04-25-2008, 12:16 PM
If this does somehow make it through, I'll be moderately sad - most Ultra PSUs are complete junk, after all.

I noticed, too, that they didn't bother suing Enermax - did they forget, or is it just assumed that the trouble-prone Liberty isn't worth worrying about? ;)

Drum Thumper
04-25-2008, 01:11 PM
If this does somehow make it through, I'll be moderately sad - most Ultra PSUs are complete junk, after all.

I noticed, too, that they didn't bother suing Enermax - did they forget, or is it just assumed that the trouble-prone Liberty isn't worth worrying about? ;)

At the end of the list of makers, there's the words et al. I'm pretty sure that'll cover anyone that they forgot.

Quakken
04-25-2008, 02:13 PM
From what I grazed from this (http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/35/usc_sec_35_00000102----000-.html) page,

A person shall be entitled to a patent unless—
(a) the invention was known or used by others in this country, or patented or described in a printed publication in this or a foreign country

Even if a modular PSU wasn't even used in this country, as long as it was being used an was in a printed publication before it was patented by ultra, they will lose this lawsuit if it even gets to court.

The boy 4rm oz
04-25-2008, 09:39 PM
Geeze, you guys are behind on the times lol. I saw this over at Tech Power Up about a month ago. It is true, Ultra did make the first modular PSU which was modular from the factory. * NOTE* they are not suing the manufacturers of the conversion kits, only the stock PSU manufacturers.

After looking through the list again I don't think Tagan should be on there. Yes they have modular PSU's but they are not just the normal "molex" style plugs. They use screw in ones made of metal for better connections.

One thing that gets me though is why they took so long to get the law suit out. Were they waiting for every big PSU manufacturer to bring out a modular PSU so they could damage them all at once so they could become the top dog? I have had me Antec NEO HE 550 for about 2 years now (if not more) and couldn't be happier. It's just stupid that they have decided to sue everyone now.

Drum Thumper
04-25-2008, 09:56 PM
It's just stupid that they have decided to sue everyone now.

Honestly, I can't help but wonder if we're not witnessing the death throes of Ultra. It's not like their stuff is the same caliber as some of the other name brands.

The boy 4rm oz
04-25-2008, 10:02 PM
Exactly. Before I got my Antec PSU I looked at the Ultra X-finity 500W PSU, it was about $100AUD cheaper than the Antec. I posted a thread in the forums for some help with my choice. Luckily all the horror stories I heard convinced me to get the Antec. It's simple Ultra make crappy PSUs.

crenn
04-25-2008, 10:26 PM
Ultra made some good looking PSUs... but the hardware inside them was rubbish, which is why not many got them.

b4i7
04-26-2008, 12:14 AM
im betting they are just setting it up so the present companies will have to pay a royalty fee...if thats the right word for this situation...to be able to use the modular design

and im assuming they waited so they oculd hit so many campanies at the same time...broaden the feild to gain more money

xRyokenx
04-26-2008, 12:15 AM
If their business isn't going so well, what better way to get money besides improving your products than suing people?

The boy 4rm oz
04-26-2008, 12:16 AM
broaden the field to gain more money

In turn pulling them out of the pit of bankruptcy.

OvRiDe
04-26-2008, 12:23 AM
From the article I found, if what I read was right, it appears they filed the patent in 2004 but it wasn't actually awarded till the end of 2006. At that time they sent out 22 notifications to manufacturers. So that might explain a little bit about the time frame.

The big question is if this design sat in a big old pile and then was breezed over for approval. There is a good chance that even though it was given a patent, it might not hold up in court.

I guess we will have to wait and see.

J-Roc
04-26-2008, 04:38 AM
Can someone please point me to extactly where it says paten infringement about the "modular" aspect? I only see patent infringment with no explaination. Hell, they could be sueing because of dual 12v rails or somthing.

I'd like to find an old cave painting of a wheel and patent it. I'd say neandertall is my anciestor and im entitled to protect his work. Then sue bfgoodrich and goodyear for selling my tires for the last 100yrs!