PDA

View Full Version : Layout Issues

DaveW
04-27-2008, 05:17 AM
Hi guys, I know that some of the layouts in the website are a touch strange with the new skin. There were a small number of layout issues with the site to begin with, but Jon's been experimenting with the advertising, which is pushing some things around.

I don't want to mess up what he's doing, so I'm not interfering with his work. We will get a number of these issues straightened out, but due to the way in which VBulletin stores the skin, it's not always easy to test things in a sandbox environment. We have additional problems here in that we're running a lot more than just VBulletin.

We will do our best to fix these bugs, and to accomodate your needs, but we can't promise a speedy response to everything at the moment and our staff are extremily busy.

If you notice something horribly wrong, then please report it. Thanks for your patience guys.

-Dave

jdbnsn
04-27-2008, 08:21 AM
I've looked at the front page in my res and at 1024*768 and both looked fine. Is anyone else seeing an out of boundaries problem there? And don't even click on the TBCS TV button, until I straighten out the stylesheets that madness is too screwed up to even glance at, it's just piles of content boxes at the moment.

xmastree
04-27-2008, 08:41 AM
I've looked at the front page in my res and at 1024*768 and both looked fine. Is anyone else seeing an out of boundaries problem there? If that means 'too wide for the display' then yes, I'm seeing it.

http://www.thebestcasescenario.com/forum/showthread.php?t=13740

jdbnsn
04-27-2008, 08:47 AM
If that means 'too wide for the display' then yes, I'm seeing it.

http://www.thebestcasescenario.com/forum/showthread.php?t=13740

not exactly, earlier on the affiliate banner content was pushing the main conent to the left and out of it's container. I've looked into the problem you brought up earlier, and frankly I'm stumped. I have measured the screen both by stretching a pixel tape across and by adding up all the widths in the stylesheet and everything points to "it fits". However, I change to resolution to 1024 and clearly, something else says "it doesn't". I'll eventually sort this out even if I have to trim the edges a little but atm it's not that big a deal, very minimal overhang.

xmastree
04-27-2008, 09:08 AM
I think the issue is that the page is 1024 wide, but that doesn't allow for the scrollbar on the right which reduces the available area.

But like you say, it's no big deal.

jdbnsn
04-27-2008, 09:20 AM
well, the page is actually 1014. However, I don't know if that leaves enough for the scroll bar or not.

jdbnsn
04-27-2008, 04:49 PM
I have a widescreen monitor set to 1680*1040 at home and the front page looked fine on it, I also checked at 1024*768 and again it looked fine. Now, at a terminal in the hospital I see that the entire block of content in pushed to the bottom of the page. If anyone else is seeing anything other than the normal from page with some new content boxes to the left, or any gfx glitches for that matter, would you please post your resolution, wide-screen or no, what you see (or a screenshot) here please? Thanks folks.

J-Roc
04-27-2008, 09:18 PM
Looks fine to me at 1600x1200

DaveW
04-29-2008, 07:28 AM
This is likely to be cross-browser incompatibilities.

-Dave

xmastree
04-29-2008, 02:54 PM
Don't tell me you've made a site which only works properly with IE...

(FWIW, it's exactly the same in Epiphany)

jdbnsn
04-29-2008, 03:04 PM
Acyually, we first build our code for firefox. Then when we're done, we have to go back and amend it to work with IE. It's a pain in the butt. I think Dave is right about the scattered layout issues not being resolution related but rather browser related. I checked the site on a comp at the hospital and the issues only occured in IE. And at the hospital, that issue with the screen not fitting only happened on the front page, the foums fit. Is that the same in your case?