PDA

View Full Version : *beep* YOU *beep beeeeep* CISCO!

crenn
05-06-2008, 07:28 PM
So our main router at home is a Cisco 857W which has it's firmware (IOS Software) outdated. So naturally I go to the Cisco website to try to get the latest firmware to find out I have to register to get access. So I register and cannot get access still because I don't have a "service contract". It seems slightly stupid to make someone have a service contract just to get access to software.

If you're wondering why I have a Cisco Router, it's because my father signed up for a plan which included a free router.... neither of us had any experience with cisco routers. Let's just say after he accidently rewrote the config.... it took me 2 months to get it up and running again with full functionality (such as wireless networking).

SgtM
05-06-2008, 11:23 PM
How to backup your config:

>sh config
[router displays output]

Right click, copy. Paste into a text file.

mtekk
05-06-2008, 11:24 PM
Welcome to the world of "professional" routers. CISCO charges for the firmware (IOS) updates. In High School we didn't have a service contract, so we worked with old IOS versions in our CCNA class (not CISCO recommended, but a ton of things we did were not CISCO approved ;)). There are ways to get the newer IOS version, find a CCNA or CCNP they should have access to new versions from CISCO.

mtekk
05-06-2008, 11:25 PM
How to backup your config:

>sh config
[router displays output]

Right click, copy. Paste into a text file.

And restoring is as easy as sending that text file back to the router :D

SgtM
05-06-2008, 11:28 PM
I should also mention that the enable secret password will be encrypted. Make sure you change that to plain text when you make your backup. Otherwise, your password will the characters that make up the encrypted data, and will look something like:

b;la0shyb;gakghp98yt=-9a7bv90UHYH

crenn
05-06-2008, 11:45 PM
I know how to backup the config. It's more the firmware that's the issue. A contact I have may be able to assist me.

SgtM
05-07-2008, 03:58 AM
Ah cool. Let me know what you find. I might be able to help out too.

crenn
05-07-2008, 04:13 AM
I've got firmware, I just need to get a free period so I can setup my old computer to program and update the firmware.