PDA

View Full Version : A8N-SLI Deluxe

_drunk_
03-31-2005, 11:49 AM
Lot's of people are looking into SLI. I made the mistake of getting it last month. After saving for about six months, I was able to get the money together to buy my machine. Here's the basic stats:

MB: A8N-SLI Deluxe
CPU: AMD FX-55
RAM: 2GB Kingston Hyper-X
VID: 2 Asus EN6800 (256 MB each)
CASE: A Lian-Li black case with window (I forget the model number)
HDD: I have 4 SATA 74GB HDDs, but only one installed at the moment

Well, that should be enough for now. I'm at work and don't have it all memorized. The problem I am having is running programs in SLI mode. I've talked to Asus and haven't had any luck fixing it yet, but I would rather try everything possible before turning it in.

So when I run SLI, it all looks good right up to the time I try to run any programs with 3D graphics. I get a bad glitching on my monitors (I've tried it on different monitors), but I can't get it to show up when I take a screenshot. It looks like some electromagnetic interfearance, but I'm not sure.

I've read around and seen that others have had this problem, but nobody seems to know how to fix it. I guess my main point is that if you get this MB, make sure to be prepared for problems. There are other SLI boards availible, and I would assume that most people would rather get their computer up and running without the problems.

ack ack
03-31-2005, 02:35 PM
i've read in other forums about people having probs with dual 6800 Ultras specifically on the A8N-Sli. its a bios issue to my knowledge. maybe try flashing to 1007.002 betas, if you haven't already done so. the WHQL 71.84 forceware drivers also adds some SLi 3D support for some specific games.

might try just running and troubleshooting a single card before tryin to cruise all at once with the SLi. atleast you're build will be functional then.

_drunk_
03-31-2005, 02:42 PM
Yea, I tried different BIOS and it didn't have any effect. The cards work 100% when in non-SLI mode.

ack ack
03-31-2005, 03:51 PM
http://forums.anandtech.com/messageview.aspx?catid=31&threadid=1484878&enterthread=y

this thread hints at an sli certified list of video cards and point out the XFX 6800 GT as compatible. I've read that people have had problems with MSI in particular. They work fine as singles, but aren't SLi capable. Haven't seen any specific fixes for it tho, only seen vague warnings to stick to GT and stay away from Ultras.