PDA

View Full Version : Molex removal

halor
05-07-2008, 09:04 AM
I am sure this has been asked before, and I have used the method described in other posts to remove 4 pin molex connectors, but is it the same with a 20 pin MB molex connector? The pins are alot smaller and it seems to have another part obstructing the pull out. I am modding a compaq 4000 case and old power supply so I will know what I am doing when I attempt it again later. Any help would be great, and I will be posting a worklog soon... thinking A-Team mod... nothing fancy, just paint and window and bondo. Thanks.

silverdemon
05-08-2008, 05:39 AM
you should be able to get those out the same way you did with the normal molex connectors. However, as you mentioned, the pins are a lot smaller, so be careful and patient with it.
I don't know which method you mean, but you can just push the two small thingies on the pins inside and then pull the pin out of the connector.

halor
05-08-2008, 07:29 AM
Thanks, I'll try that. :)

Eclecticos
05-08-2008, 01:26 PM
I am not aware of a tool for this job. . other than some jewelers screwdrivers or something. You can purchase the pins and solder them on yourself, or just use another pig tail. .

Fuganater
05-08-2008, 01:57 PM
This is what you need: Pin Extractor (http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2062447&cp=&sr=1&origkw=pin+extractor&kw=pin+extractor&parentPage=search)

Konrad
09-16-2010, 02:40 PM
Another necro revived! mwoohahahaa

I've recently done some, ah, "special modifications" to some humble old 350W PSUs, recycled into new decidedly non-PC roles. I quickly discovered that sleeving is a real pain without a molex pin extractor. (Hasn't been much of an issue for me, since higher-quality PSUs always come pre-sleeved these days.)

A 1" length cut from the (empty) end of the ink cylinder inside a disposable bic ballpoint works for pin extracting. Not really a perfect fit, but it's Very Cheap, and easy to affix onto a handle. Unfortunately, it wears out after a few dozen pins, and you have to cut it down (or replace it) many times when sleeving all the connectors on any decently über multi-railed PSU.

Does anyone know how to make other "cheap" pin extractors? (I'll need to do a lot of molex pins in the near future, but I ain't spending ~$20 for yet another tool that will just sit around for years and years before I ever might need it again.)

[Edit]

I was mildly dismayed that my ancient library-booksale copy of Maximum PC's Guide to Extreme PC Modding - written (in large part) by TCBS's very own oft-mentioned yet mysterious Paul Capello - mentions this very topic. A paragraph promises to explain "in a later chapter" how to make inexpensive molex extractors from common household items, yet somehow this never quite happened.

diluzio91
09-16-2010, 03:05 PM
http://xoxide.com/sunbeam-psu-tool-kit.html

thats what i got... super easy to get pins out

Konrad
09-16-2010, 03:26 PM
Bic Disposable Ballpoint Pen (http://ninfield.files.wordpress.com/2008/07/bic_cristal_ballpoint_pent.jpg) - about $0.25 each at my local dollar store (and I've already got hundreds of dead ones)

Sunbeam kit is $13 plus shipping costs/delays ... for a tool I'll use maybe twice and have to store (and remember where it's stored) forever in the hopes I might need it again.

I'm hoping for another ghetto alternative, better than my imperfect bic tool.