PDA

View Full Version : Mouse-modding

Nogatsira
10-27-2005, 12:50 PM
hi all,
ill start with a short introduction since im new to this site.
Im Marco, 19 years old and from belgium. I have heard about computermodding before but never had any intrest in it till i came up with this website today.
i was completely in love with those AWESOME moddings. the thing is, i dont have all those craftmanstools in the house so i dont see myself cutting open my computer case, airbrushing, ...

then found out the tutorial about the alienmouse. id like to make something similar myself, even though i dont know if i can get hold of all the tools needed.

but i was wondering if anyone has some sweet ideas wich arent that hard to do for a mousemod.

would it be sweet if i used those moddelingkits of worldwar II tanks and stuff like that?

im kinda excited :p

slaveofconvention
10-27-2005, 12:57 PM
AHA! Fresh blood - once you start modding you'll never stop *grin*
Welcome to the forums and while I don't have any specific suggestions for you, just wanted to take the time to say Hi

Bum
10-27-2005, 01:03 PM
Welcome to the site and modding in general.

Most of the mods to the mouse could be done without any special tools. A screwdriver to take the shell off is the only tool you would really need. You can use spray paint from a can or brush it on if you already do models. A Tank-Mouse could look pretty cool. Start simple and with what you know and move on from there trynig new things as they seem useful. Good luck and happy modding.

Nogatsira
10-27-2005, 01:56 PM
i used to do modelling when i was younger, just found out my stuff i had left over, like the things i never used to make the model aint overhere anymore. guess my parents trew them away =/
is there any material u guys use sometimes that should be around in every house? :)

Rankenphile
10-27-2005, 11:24 PM
My friend, anything - [I[anything[/I] - can be turned into a model, given the right amount of imagination. You should see my bits box - it's an entire wall of my garage. I collect all SORTS of stuff to use for models.

COme up with a theme you would like to design your mouse around, and you'll start seeing things all over the place that are useful. I use the ink tubes in disposable pens all the time. Toothpaste caps. Shaving razors. Bamboo skewers. Spare wires. Old gears salvaged out of copy machines and vcrs (I worked in a copy shop for years - I had all the techs that repaired the machines save me all the plastic and metal gears they took out of old machines, and now I have 3 boxes full). Milk jug caps and plastic bits from all sorts of things.

Be warned, though - once you start, it takes on a life of it's own. I can't walk anywhere without looking at the ground for useful things. I find the spring-steel rods that come off of street sweepers all the time - those things are great!

Malatory
10-27-2005, 11:41 PM
i used to do modelling when i was younger, just found out my stuff i had left over, like the things i never used to make the model aint overhere anymore. guess my parents trew them away =/
is there any material u guys use sometimes that should be around in every house? :)

just need to start looking at things in ways you can use it and not the way it was ment to be used.

IE the ribs in the how to are for a model and not computer ... put the two together and you now have a mouse that is ribbed.

other things is if it is a LED mouse you can change the LED to any color (UV doesnt work well but does work).

take a green LED and add a windows to the palm part of the mouse and make it look like its radio active.

Nogatsira
10-28-2005, 04:18 PM
omg i came up with something awesome, well at least i think its sweet.

so what i did:
for some reason, i once bought a cordless mouse from trust (no comment plz :p)
now im using an mx510 so i thought lets experiment on that crappy mouse.

i was looking trough stuff and i found just enough leftovers from an old goblin-set of the warhammer serieus.

what im gonna do:
ill take a super cool goblin head and put it right above the scrollwheel
over the middle of the mouse ill put a spear
on the sides there are 2 arms, each of them holding a spear

now i just need to find a way to blend it all in nicely, cause now it would look like a mouse with things glued to it .. well basically, it is, but then again, i want it to look smood and nicely :)

1 cool part about the mouse: the scrollwheel lights up the same color as the led from the optical thingy, so i might gonna put a green led in to make it all look more like "the-goblin-mouse" :)

Nogatsira
10-29-2005, 08:22 PM
anyone got a clue what i could use instead of the "body-filler" to blend things in better?

Rankenphile
10-29-2005, 11:43 PM
If you're an old warhammer junkie (like me) you're probably familiar with Games Workshop's famous "Green Stuff", a 2-part epoxy putty that you can use for sculpting. My friend made an entire legion of Chaos Warriors by using that stuff and caniballizing a huge collection of plastic Orks. He had arms growing out of their backs, tentacles everywhere, extra heads, all kinds of neat stuff.