PDA

View Full Version : Hard Drive Miracle!

TheGreatSatan
05-11-2008, 02:35 AM
A hard drive that came down with the ill fated Space shuttle Columbia in flames from space has had 99% of it's data recovered.

Amazing (http://tech.yahoo.com/news/ap/20080510/ap_on_hi_te/shuttle_recovered_data_9)

I know data recovery is expensive and this article obviously would not say the cost they went through to get this data, but it has to be waaaay up there. When my hard drive crashed, I thought about get a recovery (of my 1700 song library), but was put off by the $800 to $1000 cost.

The hard drive on Columbia was a whopping 340MB, yeah I said Mega-Bytes. It had all DOS data which we all know would require very little in the way of storage, but where can you get a 340MB drive? It could have been an old drive........except I've never heard of a drive going THAT long.

J-Roc
05-11-2008, 03:04 AM
It was probly custom made for the shuttle and probly acted like a buffer for sending the information back to earth like the article says. It doesnt seem like such a miracle when you look at the specifics. The platters were un-warped and the damage was to the empty section of the drive. The other two drives aboard the shuttle were damaged beyond repair & salvation.

1 of 3 = no miracle ;P

Lord Ned
05-27-2008, 12:24 PM
Just to be you know.. me...

Isn't it still considered a miracle when 1/3 people live from some tragic aircraft accident or explosion?

Can't we nerd guys have a miracle when a harddrive survives? :S

nevermind1534
05-27-2008, 05:04 PM
I've had hard drives last well over 15 years; in fact, I +have one that's almost 20 years old still running now. It's only around 730-750MB, though.

Crazy Buddhist
05-27-2008, 05:55 PM
The hard drive on Columbia was a whopping 340MB, yeah I said Mega-Bytes. It had all DOS data which we all know would require very little in the way of storage, but where can you get a 340MB drive? It could have been an old drive........except I've never heard of a drive going THAT long.

Maybe that old drive was why Columbia came down ...

But as to where you can get one, you can buy a new one here (http://www.impactcomputers.com/84g1195.html) for $59.99

Matthew

nevermind1534
05-28-2008, 09:10 PM
Damn, you can buy a new one with xxx GB for that much. If anybody wants it, I think I have that exact drive and I will sell it to you for only $49.99!

Crazy Buddhist
05-29-2008, 04:23 AM
Damn, you can buy a new one with xxx GB for that much. If anybody wants it, I think I have that exact drive and I will sell it to you for only $49.99!

Old components start rising in price after a while due to shortages for those people still using machines that need them. It certainly does not deliver much storage per dollar based on current product offerings.

Matthew

nevermind1534
05-29-2008, 04:15 PM
True, but you could just get it off of ebay for somewhere between $10 and $25. I guess that's what happens to the value of that kind of stuff after a certain point, after most of it is thrown away.