PDA

View Full Version : HDMI Audio Problems

Indybird
05-11-2008, 11:51 PM
My friend is running his computer on his TV (thru AV reciever) via HDMI. He has a 9600GT and is running audio over HDMI. There is a distinct buzz while using it, even though the sound is coming out just fine. We tried the HDMI cable on his DVD player and got not buzz. At first I thought it might've been EMI from the internal S/PDIF connection but after we tried the external it did the same thing. By the way, he is running integrated realtek audio.

Any ideas on how to get rid of the annoying buzz?

Thanks,
Indybird

Eclecticos
05-12-2008, 01:35 AM
I think the AV receiver is the cause of the buzz.
You may want to check the ground?

J-Roc
05-12-2008, 01:57 AM
As far as i know, practicly all intergrated audio has that buzz. You can try to turn the output down to minimize it or crank it up and try to drown it out. The buzz is caused by EMI leakage of the surrounding circuits into the DAC's (Digital to Analog Converters)

You might want to sugjest to him that he upgrades to a better sound card. You should be able to eliminate the buzz with a cheap card. Xtreme Audio should do the trick for around $50.

Indybird
05-13-2008, 11:41 AM
I have some extra info. First, when we first had the computer set up, there was no buzz; it worked just fine. Second there was a power surge (or something, I'm still not sure) that fried his the onboard USB ports on the mobo. The audio buzz started around then, but Im not sure if it was exactly the same time.

Could that power surge have created a buzz?

Thanks,
Indybird

Luke122
05-13-2008, 06:08 PM
Could be.. my boss had a SB Audigy that went nuts after a power surge, and started developing crazy amounts of static during playback.

Indybird
05-13-2008, 07:00 PM
Could be.. my boss had a SB Audigy that went nuts after a power surge, and started developing crazy amounts of static during playback.

Yeah thats gotta be it. Since his USB and audio don't work now he's just going to buy a replacement mobo.

Now this is kinda relating to my "Transfer RAID Setup" thread. If he buys the exact same motherboard, I hook up the HDDs to the exact same ports and I enable RAID before I hook up the drives will it transfer the RAID installation?

Thanks,
Indybird

J-Roc
05-14-2008, 08:19 PM
Probly not. Backup the important stuff and give it a shot. There's allways that little chance right.

Indybird
05-14-2008, 08:32 PM
Well we figured out the problem. There is something wrong w/ his ground wire (third prong) connection on his wall. This problem included the power connection of any three-pronged powered device connected to the computer by any means. So we hooked up the PC, Monitor and Printer to a power strip that was connected to the wall via 3-prong to 2-prong adapter. Problem gone.

I don't know if that was a real fix, be he doesn't really care so it worked out.

-Indybird