PDA

View Full Version : Linux for n00bs...Q's I have

crazybillybob
10-27-2005, 10:12 PM
Ok, I'm thinking about running R2 on Linux...Problem I have is that I know nothing about Linux....Except he played the piano on peanuts...(Ok so like half the people here are to young to know what I'm talking about!)....

But seriously I'm trying to learn more about linux and exactly which Disto would work best for my app. Little in size, will let me run video game servers, and runs wireless.....

Any help would be great cause I'm trying to deside weather to run Linux or Windoze XP (on the ultra slimfast diet....so he's lighter.

Thanks,
Crazybillybob

Malatory
10-27-2005, 11:34 PM
Ok, I'm thinking about running R2 on Linux...Problem I have is that I know nothing about Linux....Except he played the piano on peanuts...(Ok so like half the people here are to young to know what I'm talking about!)....

But seriously I'm trying to learn more about linux and exactly which Disto would work best for my app. Little in size, will let me run video game servers, and runs wireless.....

Any help would be great cause I'm trying to deside weather to run Linux or Windoze XP (on the ultra slimfast diet....so he's lighter.

Thanks,
Crazybillybob

linus not linux :P .. ok so I know what your talking about.

quesion I would ask is what game servers and do they have a linux port? for the server side.

choices I would go with is Fendora Core *Red Hat new name* lot of things are based off of it.

biggest problem linux n00bs have is they expect the games to run on both systems and most dont (your looking for the server side so directX is not as big of an issue).

also check to make sure your wireless adpated is listed on the compatablity list. It is works on one .. it should work on the others, just might have to learn to rebuild some moduals.

public_eyesore
10-28-2005, 02:43 PM
im pretty sure linus didnt play the piano, isnt he the one with the blanket?

crazybillybob
10-31-2005, 01:21 PM
im pretty sure linus didnt play the piano, isnt he the one with the blanket?
Very good, Linus did have a blanket....Schroeder played the piano...I was waiting for someone else to pick up on that!

Crazybillybob

DeathCrush
11-30-2005, 02:20 AM
Very good, Linus did have a blanket....Schroeder played the piano...I was waiting for someone else to pick up on that!

Crazybillybob

yea Linus just wrote Linux with his blanket that's all :D

as far as figuring out what distro is best for you, check out www.distrowatch.com (i think that's the correct URL) that has a huge list of distributions on it. also try www.linuxquestions.org they're really good there. they even have a "newbie" section on their forum with a lot of helpful people. good luck with it :)

OvRiDe
12-07-2005, 01:11 AM
There is an option if you want to mess around with linux without having to worry about the install or a dedicated machine..

Knoppix and Ubuntu are live cd distros. Just bootem and go..

Getting familiar with it might be your first step in choosing a distro you like.

They probably arent good for running game servers because its all running in ram, so you would have to load/compile the server everytime you booted up. They are good for getting familiar with the linux environment.

sega01
12-13-2005, 12:18 AM
phlak is nice and easy, debian based live cd. i personally use slackware, ive got 6 boxes that i work on regularly with it. altho its not an easy distro, one of the hardest ive used. slackware is very stable and secure though, if you can live through a dos like install, no rpm's and editing .conf files for configuration, its great.

OvRiDe
12-13-2005, 12:34 AM
Isnt there a Slackware Live CD.. That wouldnt be bad to give it a try on..

adreamtraveler
12-13-2005, 03:10 PM
there should be...i've got a slackware 7 live CD but am not sure for the newer releases

crazybillybob
12-13-2005, 06:04 PM
At this point IF Lucas Arts doesn't release a Linux version of the battlefront 2 server I'll be running Windoze XP. Cause R2 has to be able to server up a good game of Battlefront (as well as battlefield!2).

I'm still playing with Linux too though. I have the Ubuntu live CD (have used it to test PC's that don't boot into windows), it's not to bad I can make it do most of the things I need. But keep dropping off info, the more I can learn the better it is (and easier time I have with it!)

Crazybillybob