PDA

View Full Version : Help, Setting up a network printer.

J-Roc
05-13-2008, 09:11 PM
Well well, did i score big time at work again or do i have the best luck in the world! I am the prould new owner of an HP Laserjet 4250n. Retail value; $1,194.67 to $1,402.92 (http://www.shopbot.ca/p-15924.html) Wow...

Anyway, i've got this at home now and i want to set it up so it plugs directly into my router and i can stash it far from my desk since desk realestate is slim to nill. This printer has a 450Mhz processor and 64mb ram. It's also supposed to have some sort of web server built into it allthough i can seem to acess it and my router doesnt appear to recognize it.

What do i need to enable in my router to make the printer show up? I cant "find" the printer using the hp software search or the windows printer search.

IndyRacer27
05-13-2008, 10:06 PM
Do you have DHCP enabled on your router and printer? If so, try refreshing your client list on the router.

Luke122
05-13-2008, 11:49 PM
Congrats on the find! I have quite a few HP's on my work network, and they are great. By default, DHCP should be enabled on the printer, but if it's a used one, then it might be hardcoded to something.

In the printer menu, you can print off a configuration page, that will show all the settings on the printer, including IP address. You can also print out a menu map to show you how to get to all the settings in the printers navigation menu.

There should be a factory reset option in there somewhere also. Once you get the IP either DHCP, or hardcoded to something in your subnet, just punch in the address of the printer in your web browser, and you are there.

I would say hardcode it anyways, so that it doesnt pull a new IP address somewhere down the road, and all your computers cant print to it. :D

J-Roc
05-14-2008, 12:46 AM
ok, i figured somthing out. The printer itself wasnt set to DHCP. I did print off the config pages but since the option wasnt selected, it didnt show anything for properties.

So now it shows up in the router. HP software detected it and installed the drivers ect.

Sweet!