PDA

View Full Version : A drawing on a case question.

Nogatsira
10-28-2005, 07:39 AM
hi guys,
so i want to start casemodding, but i just going to start with a "simple'" thing and thats just getting a nice drawing onto my case.

i have a grey computer but i painted my side from the case black with modelling spray. now i have a sweet drawing i found on the internet and id like to paint that onto my case.

now i was wondering if there are any special techniques to get the lineart onto the case, cause the coloring with the paint wont be such a problem, its just the lineart that would be too hard =/

Malatory
10-28-2005, 07:56 AM
use a pencel, but since your case is black it might not be visable so you would need either a color pencel of white or a color that will show up on it. Its just like taking a drawing and putting it on a piece of paper (but it weighs more)

Nogatsira
10-28-2005, 08:01 AM
yes but my problems is i cant draw well :p
so i was wondering if there were any techniques to put it on the case. i mean like puttin ga paper over a drawing and then point it to the sun so u see the lines comming true so u just have to go over the lines.

Malatory
10-28-2005, 08:09 AM
print it out on paper to the size you want and use sissors to cut along the lines and then trace over it. The method you said would only work if your case was acrylic.

Nogatsira
10-28-2005, 08:20 AM
tx :)
i just thought about something similar.
i took a knife and cut along the lines so i have a mall or whatever u name that in english :)
now im going to spray it all white so i have the basic shape and then ill paint it in :)

tx alot

Malatory
10-28-2005, 08:25 AM
No problem ..

Rankenphile
10-28-2005, 11:27 AM
Another easy way is to rub a pencil all over across the back of your drawing, very heavily (use a soft pencil, like a 6B or something). Then put the drawing on your case, tape it down, and trace the lines using a harder pencil (like a 4H). This will transfer the lines onto whatever medium you have your drawing taped to - like carbon paper.

I use that technique a lot when I'm working on a design. If I haven't got a drawing just hte way I like, but don't want to keep erasing, I'll frequently trace a copy of it onto a new sheet and take it from there.

Nogatsira
10-28-2005, 04:15 PM
oh tx :) nice idea :)

tohito
10-28-2005, 05:28 PM
If you want to enlarge the picture so that it covers more of the case, print it on a transparency and use and overhead projector to project it onto the side of the case. Of course, you may not have access to an overhead projector.

Nogatsira
10-28-2005, 06:45 PM
omg why wasnt i that smart yet :D

Rankenphile
10-29-2005, 11:46 PM
If you use an overhead projector, it can be tough to trace very thin lines, if you don't focus it exactly. You might be better off just enlargening it on a photocopier on ledger size paper to the size you want and tracing it onto your case.

If you do use a projector, create registration marks in the corners - draw four X'es, one in each corner, in a perfect square. Then, when you project it onto your case, make sure that the projected image X'es are in a perfect square - if the top is wider than the bottom, you're getting vertical distortion - if the right side is wider than the left, you're getting horizontal distortion.

Food for thought.