PDA

View Full Version : Ubuntu 8.04 and Sketchup?

Zephik
05-18-2008, 06:02 PM
Installed Sketchup via WINE, but when I go to run the application I get the error;

Sketchup was unable to Initialize OpenGL!
Please make sure you have installed the correct
drivers for your graphics card.

Error: ChoosePixelFormat failed

I don't suppose anyone knows how to get Sketchup working under Ubuntu do they? Are there any other programs out there that are similar to Sketchup that work under Ubuntu?

.Maleficus.
05-18-2008, 07:05 PM
Ask and you shall receive: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=552050

Zephik
05-18-2008, 07:55 PM
Where can I download OpenGL? The link he provides does not work anymore.

.Maleficus.
05-19-2008, 07:29 AM
Try this. (http://www.berkelium.com/OpenGL/sgi-download.html)

Zephik
05-19-2008, 08:34 AM
Try this. (http://www.berkelium.com/OpenGL/sgi-download.html)

Negative. Links are dead. T_T

Zephik
06-02-2008, 02:29 AM
Is there anyone who has got this to work for them? I keep running across forums with people saying they can get it working, but either I don't understand how they did it or I'm unable to do it the way they did it.

I would like to get this working so I can put my ideas onto "paper", to better visualize and plan it all out.

Zephik
06-02-2008, 02:34 AM
I'm not entirely sure why I just only now understood what the error message was telling me, but...

Where do I download drivers for my graphics card? lol

I have a ATI Mobility Radeon 9700 (I'm using a laptop).

mtekk
06-03-2008, 12:04 AM
You probably need the fglrx err. ATI Catalyst driver set for Linux. You should be able to apt-get it or use Ubuntu's GUI package manager (I use Gentoo so I just emerge things). The X.Org driver for r200 and r300 devices (the 9600, 9700 and 9800 are r300) is supposed to support DRI and other goodies now, I could never get it to work. You may want to visit Phoronix (http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=home) back when I still had a 9600 in my desktop I kept up with the miserable state of ATI drivers in Linux, their forums seem very helpful for figuring out common driver problems and such.

Crazy Buddhist
06-03-2008, 03:12 AM
(WINE 1.0-rc1 under Ubuntu 8.04)

Post install, you have to let SketchUp run (and crash) at least once so that the registry keys all are written. Then make the changes, as below, with WINE's regedit program:

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Google\SketchUp6\GLConf ig\Display]
"FIRST_TIME"=dword:00000000
"HW_OK"=dword:00000001

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Google\SketchUp6\Google SketchUp TOTD]
"HelpPage"="0"
"ShowOnStartUp"="false"

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Google\SketchUp6\Snappy Instructor]
"Show"="0"

Layout will not function at all...it doesn't even write keys so that I can tweak it.

Incidentally, I have had these SU settings work on two relatively modern workstations with NVIDIA video cards (and I let Ubuntu find and install the latest Proprietary drivers). On a slightly older notebook computer with an ATI card, this did not work, no matter how I tweaked the settings. But I think that is ATI's fault, for some reason.

from: http://linuxoutlaws.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=427

Don't know if that's applicable to your 9700.

You can use EnvyNG included in Hardy Heron (Ubuntu 8.04) to get the right drivers or Envy Legacy if you are using an older ubuntu instructions here (http://www.albertomilone.com/envyngfaq.html#A) and here (http://www.albertomilone.com/envyfaq.html#A)

CrazyB

Zephik
06-03-2008, 06:01 AM
I should mention that I'm still pretty new to Ubuntu and linux in general. If its not like a step by step instruction, I don't usually understand a lick of it, well even then I still don't, but I know how to follow directions :D. So most of what you guys just said... probably ended up popping a few brain cells in my head from trying to understand it. lol

I've tried doing some code thing in the Terminal with fglrx before, at least I think thats what it was, but when I was reading the instructions from some web forum it told me to do something when I came to certain section, but that section never came for me to alter... that I know of at least. Ahh its so confusing! Why can't they make a free windows?? lol

Funny how the only thing I really want is the one thing that I can't figure out how to get working. lol

Crazy Buddhist
06-03-2008, 08:00 AM
Try the links I gave you to get the right video driver installed then see what errors you are getting.

CB

Zephik
06-03-2008, 07:10 PM
Well that was exciting. lol

I installed EnvyNG, followed its instructions, then let it restart my laptop. After it loaded the Bios/OS and all of that stuff it wouldn't display the screen once it got to the Ubuntu Login page. Saying something like "cannon display this resolution" or something like that. Luckily I have a TV that has twenty zillion different video/audio ports and a large enough screen to display just about every resolution known to mankind. lol

...its also lucky that I have every kind and type of video/audio cable, otherwise I wouldn't of been able to plug my laptop into the TV and change the resolution to one that can be displayed on a regular 17" LCD.

But all is well now. So lets see what happens when I try to get into Sketchup...

Sketchup ver. 6 - Started up and gave me the basic outline of the programs window, but didn't finishing loading anything else and then just disappeared. So no error message this time, but it exits out before it finishes loading the program.

Sketchup ver. 4 - Gives me the same error message that I have always been given. I've heard of larger success rates with people using ver. 4 in Ubuntu, but it doesn't seem to work for me. >< oh well, wasn't expecting an older version to work with a newer version of WINE and Ubuntu OS anyways.

Side Note: At least EnvyNG gave me more resolution options, woo hoo!

Crazy Buddhist
06-04-2008, 01:45 AM
Well you have the right video drivers. This is called progress. Couple more bits of progress and you'll be sketchupin on trains, planes and .... yr laptop.

:)

Zephik
06-04-2008, 01:52 AM
Now to figure out how to get those couple more bits of progress... thats the tricky part right there. lol

Update: Okay, so talking softly to my computer in a dimmed room with candles, roses and champagne didn't help much. Maybe if I hold it over the bathtub filled with water and threaten it? Will post results when I get back...

Crazy Buddhist
06-04-2008, 03:01 AM
from here (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=678080&page=2):

"I have confirmed this problem on Hardy-Heron (Ubuntu 8.04).
Some of the following information will be duplicated from prior posts, but I wanted to capture my entire timeline for any developers out there.

* I first installed & configured wine according to https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Wine
* To make sure the install was good, I launched the notepad program, and it runs just fine.
* Again, using the guidance from the wine-wiki, I installed Google Sketchup 6 (henceforth known as "GSU-6").
* I launched GSU-6 via wine and got the "missing OpenGL" pop-up error as described earlier.
* I applied the registry "tweak" for HW-OK as described in the root post of this thread and tried to launch GSU-6. Now it just silently dies.
* Then I replaced my compiz window manager with metacity by executing this command in the terminal:
Code:

metacity --replace &

* I re-launced GSU-6 and it works just fine (although I now get the pop-up errors for Gecko).

It seems to me that compiz is a very likely candidate for further investigation.
I would be happy to provide any information I can that would help people track down this problem.

Here are my system vitals:

* Ubuntu 8.04(alpha-6) on amd64
* nvidia GeForce 6600 GT (rev a2)"

HW-OK fix from here (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=678080):

"Iv seen quite a few posts that mention the problem with Sketchup 6, where it stops during loading and warns you that you do not have OpenGL available. I had this problem.

Fix:
Open your wine menu and open the C drive (/home/user/.Wine)
Open the Windows Folder
Find Regedit.exe and run it with Wine
Find: HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Google\SketchUp6\GLConf ig\Display
There are three entries - Look at the bottom one, name 'HW_OK"
Double click it and change the data from a 0 to a 1
Run Sketchup 6
No more error on startup and the program seems to run just fine on NVIDIA 6600, Ubuntu 7.10

Good luck"

PS. ... downloading Wine and Sketchup as we speak on my lappy running Hardy Heron. Don't use sketchup but if I can get it going so can you.

Zephik
06-04-2008, 03:30 AM
http://img529.imageshack.us/img529/5580/screenshotyz6.png

This is what I get now, which is a bit farther than before. It actually loads stuff inside the window now, but if I click on anything it will auto-close...

Crazy Buddhist
06-04-2008, 03:40 AM
I got the OpenGL Error, then did the registry tweak and now when I try to launch it NADA ... tick tick tick ... no Sketchup ... so you're doing better than I lol

EDIT: OK, now I did the "metacity --replace &" in terminal ... and have sketchup running though it is not renedering the screen. I am not having the problems with button blackouts that lots of folk are reporting.

Zephik
06-04-2008, 03:42 AM
I got the OpenGL Error, then did the registry tweak and now when I try to launch it NADA ... tick tick tick ... no Sketchup ... so you're doing better than I lol

Did you try installing and running EnvyNG? Thats what gave me the basic outline of the Sketchup window, then I did the registry tweak as well which gave me that screen shot. Just got to figure out why its auto closing on me whenever I try to do something...

Crazy Buddhist
06-04-2008, 03:55 AM
open a terminal window and type:

metacity --replace & {ENTER}

This has solved that problem for some.

EDIT ... weird ... you seem to have to do this after each reboot, just before running sketchup.

Crazy Buddhist
06-04-2008, 04:07 AM
Did you try installing and running EnvyNG? Thats what gave me the basic outline of the Sketchup window, then I did the registry tweak as well which gave me that screen shot. Just got to figure out why its auto closing on me whenever I try to do something...

I have an Intel video chip in this lappy. I may never arrive. But then even if I do this is purely an altruistic exercise and I will be uninstalling Sketchup once I get it working.

CB

ps .... I must be mad .... currently I have no internet connection at home. Although my desktop happily picks up the neighbour's (unsecured) router, my laptop will not do it .... this is the set up I have had to install it on to get it to connect and download the files to try and get this going:

http://www.vipassanaforum.net/howto.JPG

Zephik
06-04-2008, 05:28 AM
Hmmm, "metacity --replace & {ENTER}" didn't seem to work.

Awesome setup by the way lol man does that bring back some memories...

Here is the new error I keep getting...

http://img519.imageshack.us/img519/4901/screenshot1mj5.png

Update: Wait I'm retarded. lol okay, this time when I tried the code I didn't include "enter" with it, but instead PRESSED enter.

Sketchup has now stopped giving me errors, and it seems I can do anything without making it crash, but the screen is black and wont display anything...

Crazy Buddhist
06-04-2008, 05:34 AM
Turn off all desktop animation effects too .. and .. you may need to do

sudo metacity --replace &

EDIT:

looooool yes {ENTER} meant the enter key hehe

click view report details and see what we get.

Zephik
06-04-2008, 06:40 AM
Uninstalled my graphics driver using EnvyNG, as it was creating some hard to deal with problems for me. Mainly, not being able to view my laptop without having to bring it over to my big screen, changing the resolution, then bringing it back over and hooking it back up to see if it worked or not.

So thats that. I'm now stuck in 800x600 mode with one mode smaller than this one. But you know what? I'm perfectly fine with that. Do you want to know why?

BECAUSE GOOGLE SKETCHUP IS NOW WORKING BABY!

:banana:

Crazy Buddhist
06-04-2008, 10:35 AM
coolio :banana: :banana: :banana:

Crazy Buddhist
06-04-2008, 11:30 AM
Post your experience on the Ubuntu user forums (in detail including the REMOVAL of EnvyNG as the solution). It will help give clues to the development teams as to what is going on. :)

Zephik
06-04-2008, 06:18 PM
Will do. ^_^

"My experience? I've never realized how beautiful Windows XP is..." :P jk jk

Zephik
06-04-2008, 07:17 PM
Posted. I hope I covered everything important, I don't think I missed anything?

Getting SketchUp to work under Wine (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?p=5116774#post5116774)

h3moglobe0
06-09-2008, 01:11 PM
Hey

So you are just back on "stock drivers ;)".

Well Envy just installs ATi drivers ;).
This stock driver that you have now and run on it GS with 800x600 res is just older ATI driver AFAIR.

It is very intresting that in lower res GS works -_O.
I had 9550. In Hardy finaly ATi drives worked properly. But I still had black window in GS.
Now on GF 7300 i have no problems with gfx on hardy( god bless Nvidia ;)).
But I have now that OpenGL error, same as you. No way I am back on stock drivers.

You run

But do you run any compiz or emerald( i don't even think so, but I'll ask either)?
If no, that looks like you just "restarted" metacity oO.

Mind sharing your xorg.conf ??

Peace & vodka ;)

Zephik
06-09-2008, 08:50 PM
Hey

So you are just back on "stock drivers ;)".

Well Envy just installs ATi drivers ;).
This stock driver that you have now and run on it GS with 800x600 res is just older ATI driver AFAIR.

It is very intresting that in lower res GS works -_O.
I had 9550. In Hardy finaly ATi drives worked properly. But I still had black window in GS.
Now on GF 7300 i have no problems with gfx on hardy( god bless Nvidia ;)).
But I have now that OpenGL error, same as you. No way I am back on stock drivers.

You run

But do you run any compiz or emerald( i don't even think so, but I'll ask either)?
If no, that looks like you just "restarted" metacity oO.

Mind sharing your xorg.conf ??

Peace & vodka ;)

I would imagine so, I have no drivers installed that I'm aware of. I guess I'm just using whatever comes with the OS.

EnvyNG will install both ATI and nVidia drivers, either automatically or manually by searching for your model.

Nope, I don't run any compiz or emerald. I have something called "emerald theme manager" but I couldn't get it to work so I don't use it.

How do I post my xorg.conf?

Crazy Buddhist
06-10-2008, 02:39 AM
Nope, I don't run any compiz or emerald. I have something called "emerald theme manager" but I couldn't get it to work so I don't use it.

How do I post my xorg.conf?

You probably are running compiz as it runs as standard on Hardy Heron (and the metacity replace command would not have helped if you were not).

Before running the
metacity --replace & in terminal run
ps aux | grep compiz and if you get an output anything like this then compiz is running. After you run the metacity command you will notice the compiz-sm-client process has been killed. This also means the metacity replace needs running each time you run sketchup. You can do this in a script that runs metacity then launches SU:

me 5917 0.0 0.0 1772 532 ? S 00:34 0:00 /bin/sh /usr/bin/compiz --sm-client-id default0
me 5977 0.2 1.4 21812 14576 ? S 00:34 0:50 /usr/bin/compiz.real --ignore-desktop-hints --replace --indirect-rendering --sm-client-id default0 core ccp
me 6153 0.0 0.0 1772 480 ? Ss 00:34 0:00 /bin/sh -c /usr/bin/compiz-decorator
me 6154 0.0 0.0 1772 504 ? S 00:34 0:00 /bin/sh /usr/bin/compiz-decorator
me 19363 0.0 0.0 3012 780 pts/0 R+ 07:21 0:00 grep compizTo get your xorg.conf just search the root (file system) for xorg and then open it using text editor to copy/paste/upload. Here's mine:

# xorg.conf (X.Org X Window System server configuration file)
#
# This file was generated by dexconf, the Debian X Configuration tool, using
# values from the debconf database.
#
# Edit this file with caution, and see the xorg.conf manual page.
# (Type "man xorg.conf" at the shell prompt.)
#
# This file is automatically updated on xserver-xorg package upgrades *only*
# if it has not been modified since the last upgrade of the xserver-xorg
# package.
#
# If you have edited this file but would like it to be automatically updated
# again, run the following command:
# sudo dpkg-reconfigure -phigh xserver-xorg

Section "InputDevice"
Identifier "Generic Keyboard"
Driver "kbd"
Option "XkbRules" "xorg"
Option "XkbModel" "pc105"
Option "XkbLayout" "gb"
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
Identifier "Configured Mouse"
Driver "mouse"
Option "CorePointer"
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
Identifier "Synaptics Touchpad"
Driver "synaptics"
Option "SendCoreEvents" "true"
Option "Device" "/dev/psaux"
Option "Protocol" "auto-dev"
Option "HorizEdgeScroll" "0"
EndSection

Section "Device"
Identifier "Configured Video Device"
EndSection

Section "Monitor"
Identifier "Configured Monitor"
EndSection

Section "Screen"
Identifier "Default Screen"
Monitor "Configured Monitor"
Device "Configured Video Device"
EndSection

Section "ServerLayout"
Identifier "Default Layout"
Screen "Default Screen"
InputDevice "Synaptics Touchpad"
EndSection

CrazyB

h3moglobe0
06-10-2008, 11:04 AM
Hey

Well Envy just installs ATi drivers .

Well I did not finished that lol.
should be

Well Envy just installs ATi drivers from ATI/AMD site so there is no need to downloading those drivers by yourself.

I guess you already know that.

About xorg.conf
Run this command

cat /etc/X11/xorg.conf

and copy the output.

I realy don't think so you could even run compiz and emerald with some results.
On HH I manage it ( with 9550) - but that was realy painfull.
If you have chance to switch vga to GF - do so, if you want to stay sane on Linux.
ATI wants to make linux users do some creazy Capoeira with Xorg and drivers - this is just so stupid.

Also try out

glxinfo | grep direct

If there is "no" ( I believe that there truly is) - say bb to games or hello to Xorg's Capoeira.

I am still with no GS on linux :/ ehh. And I am to leazy to work it out :P.

If you want smth similar to GS - maybe Wings3D( I did not try it). Should be at repo.

Peace

Zephik
06-10-2008, 11:12 AM
# xorg.conf (X.Org X Window System server configuration file)
#
# This file was generated by dexconf, the Debian X Configuration tool, using
# values from the debconf database.
#
# Edit this file with caution, and see the xorg.conf manual page.
# (Type "man xorg.conf" at the shell prompt.)
#
# This file is automatically updated on xserver-xorg package upgrades *only*
# if it has not been modified since the last upgrade of the xserver-xorg
# package.
#
# If you have edited this file but would like it to be automatically updated
# again, run the following command:
# sudo dpkg-reconfigure -phigh xserver-xorg

Section "Screen"
Defaultdepth 24
EndSection

Section "Device"
Identifier "Configured Video Device"
Option "UseFBDev" "true"
Driver "vesa"
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
Identifier "Generic Keyboard"
Driver "kbd"
Option "XkbRules" "xorg"
Option "XkbModel" "pc105"
Option "XkbLayout" "us"
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
Identifier "Configured Mouse"
Driver "mouse"
Option "CorePointer"
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
Identifier "Synaptics Touchpad"
Driver "synaptics"
Option "SendCoreEvents" "true"
Option "Device" "/dev/psaux"
Option "Protocol" "auto-dev"
Option "HorizEdgeScroll" "0"
EndSection

Section "ServerLayout"
screen "Default Screen"
Inputdevice "Synaptics Touchpad"
EndSection

Section "Monitor"
EndSection

Section "Extensions"
EndSection

Crazy Buddhist
06-10-2008, 11:54 AM

That is where the metacity --replace & command comes in. It's compiz screwing your display up. This command replaces compiz with metacity and hey presto lots of people have working systems.

BTW ... you say you still don't have GS working and you are too lazy to get it working ... which makes me wonder what you will actually add to this thread?

Crazy

h3moglobe0
06-10-2008, 01:58 PM
That is where the metacity --replace & command comes in. It's compiz screwing your display up. This command replaces compiz with metacity and hey presto lots of people have working systems.

BTW ... you say you still don't have GS working and you are too lazy to get it working ... which makes me wonder what you will actually add to this thread?

Crazy

I am on Hardy but with KDE. That is difrence, right?
I asked for xorg.conf to see how is configured monitor.
I was wondering to see that kind of particular part ( that example is from mine on 7300).

Section "Monitor"
Vendorname "LG Electronics Inc."
Modelname "LG 700S"
Horizsync 30.0-70.0
Vertrefresh 50.0-160.0
modeline "640x480@60" 25.2 640 656 752 800 480 490 492 525 -vsync -hsync
modeline "640x480@72" 31.5 640 664 704 832 480 489 491 520 -vsync -hsync
modeline "640x480@75" 31.5 640 656 720 840 480 481 484 500 -vsync -hsync
modeline "640x480@85" 36.0 640 696 752 832 480 481 484 509 -vsync -hsync
modeline "800x600@56" 36.0 800 824 896 1024 600 601 603 625 +hsync +vsync
modeline "800x600@72" 50.0 800 856 976 1040 600 637 643 666 +hsync +vsync
modeline "800x600@75" 49.5 800 816 896 1056 600 601 604 625 +hsync +vsync
modeline "800x600@85" 56.3 800 832 896 1048 600 601 604 631 +hsync +vsync
modeline "800x600@60" 40.0 800 840 968 1056 600 601 605 628 +hsync +vsync
modeline "832x624@75" 57.284 832 864 928 1152 624 625 628 667 -vsync -hsync
modeline "1024x768@85" 94.5 1024 1072 1168 1376 768 769 772 808 +hsync +vsync
modeline "1024x768@75" 78.8 1024 1040 1136 1312 768 769 772 800 +hsync +vsync
modeline "1024x768@70" 75.0 1024 1048 1184 1328 768 771 777 806 -vsync -hsync
modeline "1024x768@60" 65.0 1024 1048 1184 1344 768 771 777 806 -vsync -hsync
modeline "1024x768@43" 44.9 1024 1032 1208 1264 768 768 776 817 +hsync interlace +vsync
modeline "1152x864@75" 108.0 1152 1216 1344 1600 864 865 868 900 +hsync +vsync
modeline "1280x960@60" 102.1 1280 1360 1496 1712 960 961 964 994 -hsync +vsync
modeline "1280x1024@60" 108.0 1280 1328 1440 1688 1024 1025 1028 1066 +hsync +vsync
modeline "1400x1050@60" 122.61 1400 1488 1640 1880 1050 1051 1054 1087 -hsync +vsync
Gamma 1.0
EndSection

Section "Screen"
Defaultdepth 24
SubSection "Display"
Depth 24
Virtual 1400 1050
Modes "800x600@60" "832x624@75" "800x600@85" "1024x768@85" "800x600@75" "1024x768@75" "800x600@72" "1024x768@70" "800x600@56" "1024x768@60" "640x480@85" "1024x768@43" "640x480@75" "640x480@72" "640x480@60"
EndSubSection
EndSection

Section "ServerLayout"
screen 0 "Default Screen" 0 0
EndSection
Section "Module"
Load "glx"
Load "v4l"
EndSection
Section "ServerFlags"
EndSection

I got somwhere back ups of mine xorg.conf configured for diffrent drivers for my old 9550. And I am pretty sure I run it even on 800x600 with both drivers ( stock and ATI) - and there was no cookies.
I wonder why this crap doesn't work in other resolutions then 800x600 oO.
That is why I asked for his xorg.conf.

And I am somekind of creazy - now I think about backing to my ATI VGA to check out "if It will run..."- I hope weekend will be full of stuff to do. But I am still to lazy to work out OpenGl problem on wine with 7300 :P

Peace