PDA

View Full Version : AMD core codenames?

n00b4now
10-28-2005, 06:26 PM
So basically I'm building my first computer.
I've been a lurker on the forums for awhile so I've got a decent knowledge base. What I want to know is this:

What is the difference between the San Diego, Venice, Winchester, Manchester, and Toledo cores?

I understand that they have different architecture geared toward a different target group, but what the different cores geared toward?

appreciate it.

Azoxy
10-28-2005, 10:58 PM
Well there might be more of a difference then this little blurb, but I am not sure how detailed you really want to get...

http://hardwaresecrets.com/article/239

public_eyesore
10-30-2005, 04:39 PM
most go for the venice, cause it seems to overcolock really well

n00b4now
10-31-2005, 05:40 PM
Thankx.

It seems that only the FX-57 is based on the San Diego core, which is $1K that I don't have.

Isn't the older FX-53 still produced, but not labled the 53, but some ordinary #, like the 3000, or 3200 or something like that. I've heard of some really good overclocking coming from those processers, and they are both around 150 bones on newegg.

Bluewolf
10-31-2005, 05:46 PM
My 3700+ is a San Diego core.

DickNervous
10-31-2005, 09:10 PM
This is a good question, except the answer isn't easy, especially since I am an Intel guy, but here is what I know.

"Toldeo" is the dual core chips. 90nm design. Some have 1mb L2 cache per core (4800 and 4400) and some 512kb L2 per core (4600 and 4200).

"San Diego" is the single core version of "Toledo" and what you will find in the FX-57 and other chips. Both of these also support SSE3.

"Palermo" will be the new Sempron core. Also 90nm.

This page (http://www.a1-electronics.net/AMD_Section/CPUs/2005/AMD_CPU-guide_May.shtml) has a useful chart as well, though a little old.

And finally, this page (http://www.techspot.com/vb/topic29369.html) has a more up-to-date roadmap of the Cores.

Hope this helps.

n00b4now
11-01-2005, 10:32 PM
Thanks everybody, thats all the info I need for cores.

Looks like its a Athalon 64, 3200 @ 2 GHz venice core for me.
Overclocks to around 2.5 to 2.7 for most.

On another note, I'm thinking of getting a budget mobo. Both MSI and Chaintech offer some Nforce4 mobos with 1000MHz FSB for round $80. The reviews seem mostly good, but does anyone here think there will be a problem with a board like that?

Azoxy
11-01-2005, 10:59 PM
Well I just recently put together my new system with a MSI K8N Neo4-F and it is working great for me. (After I fixed the slight problem of cutting a couple of traces while removing the back plate for the CPU cooler...) I have a AMD64 3700+ in it and have yet to start overclocking... I saw a similar priced Chaintech but the more reviews I read the more it sounded like it was not OC'ing friendly. Just my two cents.

Dark-hobo
11-02-2005, 04:21 AM
If you plan on overclocking I would say go with DFI. They are more pricey but they are worth it.

n00b4now
11-03-2005, 07:43 PM
I was going to do some mild overclocking.

This is my first home built computer, and the computer I have now doesn't have the BIOS options to overclock.

Primarily, I want a better computer to get my game on. Right now I've got a 1GHz pentium III in a HP. For under $250, I can upgrade my mobo, CPU, and PSU for a far superior gameing maching. I also want to get a bit of experience overclocking as well.

In the future, I plan to do at put together a medium-upper overclocked machine, but I have to get the money for the proper cooling n sh*t first. When that time comes, I'll probably drop the cash for a superior mobo, but for now, I just want to tweek it a little bit to get some experience. These mobos have overclocking friendly BIOS, but I doubt the mobos themselves (at under $80) would be stable during some hard core overclocking.

crenn
11-04-2005, 09:53 AM
What motherboard do you have?

If you have heard about the Atomic magazine, they have a forum about overclocking and how to do it. It is possible to overclock everything.

n00b4now
11-04-2005, 06:50 PM
I don't know what motherboard I have right now.
A friend of mine went off to the Taiwanesse army, and left his computer with me.

All I know about it is that it has a 1GHz Pentium III, 511MBs of memory (I have 2x256, but it only registers 511), a crappy 4MB onboard video (I've got a 128MB comming), a 70GB HDD, a DVD player and a CD R-RW.

I have no idea what kind of mobo it is or how to find out, or what my P3 really is or anything like that. I've gotten into the BIOS, but I can't adjust anything worthwhile.

Do you know how I can find out what I have now?

public_eyesore
11-04-2005, 09:38 PM
yea download a program called cpu-z. Its free and awesome, tells you the specs of your computer

n00b4now
11-08-2005, 01:26 PM
What motherboard do you have?

If you have heard about the Atomic magazine, they have a forum about overclocking and how to do it. It is possible to overclock everything.

Cool! That cpu-z app rocks. Here's the low down on what I got.

Intel Pentium III E 1000MHz
codename Coppermine-T
multiplier x 10.0
FSB 100.2 MHz
16KBs of L1 cache
256KBs of L2 cache

MOBO:
Asus Model CUW-AM/MEW-AM, 2.07

BIOS:
Phoenix Technologies LTD revision 2.10

If you think I can overclock this in any way without laying down cold hard cash for some fancy pants thing, I'll give it a go. I'll check out that Atomic Mag.

Jfwhitt
12-24-2005, 03:45 AM
I have the AMD athalon 3000+ 64, with the winchestor core. Does any one know how well this will overclock? I want to push it about as far as it will go. As far as cooling goes, all im using is the stock heatsink/fan. Cant afford water cooling:(

OvRiDe
12-24-2005, 04:11 AM
I have the AMD athalon 3000+ 64, with the winchestor core. Does any one know how well this will overclock? I want to push it about as far as it will go. As far as cooling goes, all im using is the stock heatsink/fan. Cant afford water cooling:(

www.overclockers.com has a pretty nice search feature to see what others have clocked up to and their settings, along with mobo and core. Here is the LINK (http://www.cpudatabase.com/index.cfm?action=search) to the search page they are using... Just select your CPU from the AMD menu and click "Get the Goods!"... Hope this helps..

Xato
12-24-2005, 06:50 AM
Thing with athlons is they allow you to change the FSB, but not the Multiplier. You should be able to push your CPU as high as your mobo's FSB will allow. Safely and without watercooling anyway.
The FX series is cool because its completely unlocked.