PDA

View Full Version : Review: DXG-589v Camcorder.

Eclecticos
05-22-2008, 08:08 AM
http://www.thebestcasescenario.com/jdbnsn/worklogbanners/eclecticoscam.png

The DXG-589V is a 5.0MP digital video camera and portable media center with advanced gaming features in a device that is highly portable. The DXG-589V combines digital camera, MPEG-4 camcorder, video game player, music player and direct video recording feature from TV or DVD player and features a unique 3.0" rotational LCD screen.

Retail Price: $199.95

$79.99 on Ebay.

Product Features:
* 16x advanced digital zoom
* 3" color rotational LCD
* 5.0-megapixel camera; active resolutions 640x480 | 320x240, up to 10.0-megapixels.
* Multifunction design allows this camcorder to function as a digital still camera, music player, voice recorder, mass storage device and portable gaming system
* Special effects include black-and-white and sepia for creative images
* Auto, sunny, cloudy, tungsten and fluorescent white balance controls achieve natural tones under different lighting conditions
* Digital 5.0-megapixel still camera mode captures images up to 10MP with interpolation
* Built-in LED flash with on and off modes
* 32MB internal memory (13MB for image storage) and Secure Digital/MultiMediaCard memory slot (media not included)
* Music player with support for MP3 formats; headphone jack for private listening
"Earphones Included"
* Voice recording function using the built-in microphone
* 20 built-in video games allow you to showcase your gaming skills
* USB 2.0 interface for easy image transfer; USB streaming capability allows camcorder to function as a Web camera; direct-print enabled for easy printing without a computer
* Record video directly from your TV or DVD player; A/V input/output
* Powered by rechargeable lithium-ion battery NP60 "Battery included"
* Ultracompact, lightweight design
* Mr. Photo 3 and VideoWorks 6 software lets you organize, rename, watch, edit, print and e- mail digital video and photos.

Accessories Included:
Li-ion Battery NP60
USB cable/AV cable
Charger & Adapter
Stereo Earphone
Remote Controller
Wrist Strap
Camera Pouch
CD-ROM driver and application software
Software (Mr. Photo & VideoWorks6)
User's Manual

First Impressions:
At first i was a little skeptical about purchasing a camera from a brand I had never heard of. So I did a little research, and checked out a few videos recorded with this camera. Surprisingly the video was decent, didn't seem to be sluggish, and lipsync of the audio was good. So I figured what the hell, I will go ahead and give DXG a try. The price was right, and it seemed to have everything I wanted in one small device. Not to mention the fact that you can record from any device with an A/V or RCA output.

Design:
It features a 3" High Resolution LTPS Display that can be adjusted so you can see yourself while you are recording, or you can turn it around for point and shoot recording or fold it up like a laptop lcd to facilitate game play. It has buttons similar to the Sony Playstation controller on the left side.
It also features a multi-directional joystick on the back to navigate yourself through the menu, or select the mode on the back of the camcorder. Above that is the Record button and the Digital Zoom they are easily accessible.

Pros:
Its a All-in-one device.
Includes allot of accessories, comes with a remote control.
Easy to learn, operate, and navigate through the options menu.
Video meets and exceeds my expectations from this specific camera.
The games are entertaining; reminds me of the Atari, and original Nintendo games
Its the only 5.0-megapixel camcorder/10.0-megapixel digital you can own for under $100.00 USD

Cons:
Lens is tiny. . needs allot of light. Works best in Direct Sunlight, or Fluorescent Lighting.
The weight distribution is awkward, and unbalanced due to the screen being located off to the side.
If your walking faster than 5mph the video becomes choppy. Tripod recommended.

Final Thoughts:
Perfect for YouTube, TBCS Videos, and Video Tutorials.
I purchased this camera for 79.99 + S&H so it defiantly an unbeatable price for a brand new in-the-box camera. I read a few reviews from BestBuy and Circuit City the complaints were about the LCD screen mount breaking. If you read the manual you will have no problems whatsoever adjusting the screen without damaging it. Battery life is about 4 and a half hours. Make sure you cycle the battery correctly.

Exterior Design: 6/10
Functionality: 8/10
Portability: 10/10
Recording: 7/10
Digital Camera: 7/10
Battery Life: 7/10
Features: 9/10

Overall: 7/10 -- Affordable!

Eclecticos
05-24-2008, 02:02 PM
Here is a picture I took a few minutes ago with this camera.

http://img171.imageshack.us/img171/9426/phto0003zh0.jpg