PDA

View Full Version : How hard would it be to add a top fan hole to this case?

notquitedead
10-31-2005, 10:01 PM
Hi, I want to build my own case from scratch eventually but for now I want a cheap, regular case. The Antec P180 looks nice but cheaper is better. I was thinking about getting a CM Centurion 5 (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16811119068) and just adding a top fan to it.

I have no experience with modding cases or working with metal, so how hard would it be to cut the hole, drill holes for the screws, etc.? What tools would I need?

I can probably borrow tools from other people, but if I do have to buy something I'll just get the P180.

Shroomie
10-31-2005, 10:09 PM
I'm pretty new at this myself, so I don't know how much help I'll be. However, I think you'd be okay if it's aluminum or thin steel, if you borrow a Dremel from a friend or get one at the hardware store (mid-range is fine.)

Malatory
11-01-2005, 12:02 AM
what size hole??

what you need is some would under the metal for support, a Hole saw the size you want (that is rated for metal cutting), and a drill. Plus you would want to put some tape over the area your cutting as well to keep the finish.

slaveofconvention
11-01-2005, 01:15 AM
The holesaw is definitely the way to go if you can, but just in case you can't borrow one, alternatively, you could go with a jigsaw - again, mask it off as Malatory said, but slightly undercut it and file it out to the perfect size. As for the screw holes, you REALLY should use a centrepunch to make small dents before you drill - but other than that it's perfectly do-able. It's actually one of the easiest mods TO do and a good start into the game as it'll teach you a little about cutting and drilling cases so when (note - not IF, WHEN lol - you WILL catch the bug and end up doing some more) you decide to do something else, you'll have a little experience and knowledge to build on.

When cutting with the jigsaw make sure you use a very fine metal cutting blade and take your time - the faster you go the more likely you are to go off-line, and the more jagged your edges will be, so you'll have to do a lot more filing - you also reduce the risk of denting/warping the metal if you take your time.

javafiend
11-10-2005, 01:52 PM
I'm thinking about adding a hole or two as well. Is there anything special you need to know about using a holesaw? Do you need to keep anything lubricated or use a holesaw specifically for metal?

Rankenphile
11-10-2005, 03:26 PM
Light machine oil is helpful. And look for a hole saw with lots of small, fine teeth - those will work much better than a few large ones.

Aero
11-10-2005, 10:16 PM
I would just like to say that you SHOULD NOT make your first fan hole with a dremal....its really a bit tough.

*slaps self in head*

Yes, that was speaking from experience.

notquitedead
11-13-2005, 01:12 AM
Thanks everyone. I don't know what I'm going to use, it depends on what I can borrow lol.

javafiend
11-14-2005, 11:56 AM
I looked at hole saws at HomeDepot this past weekend and there doesn't seem to be much selection as far as the number of teeth go. Does everyone else who uses hole saws just use the basic one from the hardware store?

FoRmEd
11-15-2005, 02:45 PM
I use the ones from Lowes...

They are 114mm for the 120mm fans... But the ones at Lowes are for
both metal and wood...

They are just a bit that you can use with a Cordless drill...