PDA

View Full Version : Help with idea!:S

LuCaZzZ
11-01-2005, 04:29 PM
Hello, i have modded my comp a little and i want to show it off... the only problem is that it has to stand on the ground...:( but i figuered i could put it on my desk only you wont be able to see the neon in it... so what i wanted is to put on a platform that's spinning slowly from side to side and back so i wont see the back and wires wont get twisted, any ideas??

Thnx :P LuCaZzZ

Rankenphile
11-01-2005, 05:52 PM
Well, you can do most things wirelessly anymore - network, keyboard and mouse - but that still leaves the speakers and the monitor cables loose. Go wireless to reduce the clutter and drag.

One thing you can do is set it up on a "Lazy Susan" type setup, and reduce the movement range down to about 60 degrees left and right. That would prevent the cords from getting too twisted.

You can also consolidate the cables through a single pipeline, or even tie them with zip-ties to keep them as a single line running out. I would wrap them somehow to improve the appearance, and attach them to the rotating base, then feed them through a set point on your desk surface far enough away to allow it to turn freely without kinking or bunching.

Being able to turn fully 360 degrees is possible, but much more difficult.

Hope this helps.

LuCaZzZ
11-02-2005, 02:37 AM
Good ideas but i also have no idea how to make the platform itself, or can i buy it somewhere?

Rankenphile
11-02-2005, 02:48 AM
They sell Lazy Susans at hardware and kitchenware stores. They are basically a rotating table, usually circular, for a number of uses. They were popular for setting in the center of tables, so that you can just spin it to get something without having to have someone pass it to you.

DId you see Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom? Remember the opening scene in the night club? THe circular thing on the table that they kept spinning the drinks and the diamond and the money and stuff, that's a Lazy Susan.

To restrict movement, you could simply drill a hole and install a peg in the back of it, and install a couple pegs on your desk that the other peg would hit, preventing it from turning past that point.

LuCaZzZ
11-02-2005, 11:11 AM
But i want it to turn it automatically, and if i put pegs on it it wont start turning the other way

crazybillybob
11-02-2005, 12:42 PM
You can Get a Lazy susan @ any bigbox Hardware store (Lowes, Home Despot. etc.) They look like this:
http://www.fccmonline.com/LanImages/R2/lazysusan.jpg

You bolt / screw it to a base. Then make a plywood platform (big engough to hold the gear you need) and attach it to the top ring. Drill a hole in the middle (for cables) This will minimuze the twisting.

IF you mount your Speakers On the the platform with the case. All you need to worry about is power. If you don't leave the speakers on the platform you can use a phone cord detangler to run the speaker out and mic in through (it's a barrell type plug the has 2 plugs one in each end and spins in the middle (all the way around 360deg.) and keeps electrical connection the whole time...but it will only work with low power (Speakers!).
They make things called Slip rings (i think) that will handle your 120VAC.

There are some hillbilly ways to make on of these but there not good for a PC as the power may flicker from time to time.

To make it turn, just get a small low speed AC motor (any online elec. surplus shop has these) and attach a small wheel to the shaft (with rubber tire). Make a plate to mount the motor to that has a spring pushing the plate up (to make sure the wheel has good contact with the plywood) Now this all has to fit under your plywood that holds the PC. The wheel will push up on the bottom of the plywood that has the PC on it and turn the whole thing around.

I'll see if I can whip up a drawing for this!

Crazybillybob

Crimson Sky
11-02-2005, 12:49 PM
Lazy Susan mechanism would make a really cool base for a Stargate window for the side of a case too 8)

crazybillybob
11-02-2005, 01:01 PM
But i want it to turn it automatically, and if i put pegs on it it wont start turning the other way
You could put as set of limit switches on the post (the fixed ones) and set it so when one gets hit it reverses the motor....A little more complicated them just turning power on and going...but do able.

Crazybillybob

LuCaZzZ
11-02-2005, 03:56 PM
Ok i'll just forget the idea cuz i ain't understanding a word you said...:( :S. Since i'm from holland i'll have a look on dutch forums:S...
Thnx anyway!:D