PDA

View Full Version : Canceling Xps?

Durrthock
05-31-2008, 12:15 PM
You probably Read on the front page of this site that Dell is canceling the xps line to focus on Alienware. Which they Acquired in 2006.
So what do you guys think is dell crazy or is it a good Idea to cancel their Xps gaming line and move towards Alienware.

Front Page (http://thebestcasescenario.com/?q=node/221)
Original Article (http://news.cnet.com/8301-10784_3-9942761-7.html?tag=cnetfd.mt)

I personally think Its a terrible because alienware has a bad reputatuion for pushing out crap systems. Not to mention the over branding and high price markups they use. Needless to say you don't even see that many alienware systems around on the net. I mean Their basic gaming system starts at like $1500. It could probably be built for around $1200. So figure thats a 20% markup just on their cheapest system. And they don't even have an outlet like dell does, (where I got my systems).

Anyway, What do you guys think?

The boy 4rm oz
05-31-2008, 12:59 PM
This is not true. Dell made a press release saying that they will still make the XPS systems. They wont drop the XPS systems but they will be putting a lot of time into getting the Alienware systems up to scratch.
Link:
http://forums.techpowerup.com/showthread.php?t=60211

Personally I think they should discontinue the XPS line. Alienware are known for their influence in the gaming community. Dell are known for their budget desktops. I think they should focus on getting Alienware back on their feet. Think about it, you wouldn't go to a Toyota dealership to buy your new BMW.

Drum Thumper
05-31-2008, 01:10 PM
So you're saying that the Wall Street Journal is full of it? I'd link to their report, but it's a pay site.

Edit: NVM, not only are you saying it, but I decided to check your link...looks like Dell is saying it as well.

It doesn't make great business sense, but hey, I'm not the one running the company.

The boy 4rm oz
05-31-2008, 01:26 PM
I posted the link to reduce confusion lol.

This story has been out for a few weeks now. I didn't think much of it because I don't think much of Dell as a company, generic crap in my opinion. I would only and I stress only go to Dell for a laptop and that's only if Apple stop making Mac Books.

Durrthock
05-31-2008, 01:40 PM
Yeah its a Mis information
From Dell (http://yourblog.dell.com/2008/05/13/calling-all-gamers/)
They are just investing in the alienware's more than they were before. Should probably take that off the front page.

Drum Thumper
05-31-2008, 02:42 PM
Should probably take that off the front page.

I respectfully disagree. Especially now that we have a thread pertaining to it. I'm going to PM one of the Front Page crew and have them link to this thread as well.

I will, however, do an update that will hopefully get published.

Zephik
05-31-2008, 06:51 PM
Personally I think they should discontinue the XPS line. Alienware are known for their influence in the gaming community. Dell are known for their budget desktops. I think they should focus on getting Alienware back on their feet. Think about it, you wouldn't go to a Toyota dealership to buy your new BMW.

I agree, which is why I voted yes.

I would so totally love to see Alienware return to its former glory. It used to be such a cool brand and all, but it seems like most people I talk to have all but forgotten it.

I wish they sold cheaper laptops, I love the way they look! But I'd rather spend less and get a Dell or an HP.

Ichbin
05-31-2008, 08:01 PM
Frontpage article has been edited with a link to this forum topic.

The boy 4rm oz
05-31-2008, 09:18 PM
I agree, which is why I voted yes.

I would so totally love to see Alienware return to its former glory. It used to be such a cool brand and all, but it seems like most people I talk to have all but forgotten it.

I wish they sold cheaper laptops, I love the way they look! But I'd rather spend less and get a Dell or an HP.

Exactly. What do you do when you fall of your bike? You get back on and chase down the prick that pushed you off. Alienware will make it, they are still quite respected but since the Dell takeover they have slipped back into the shadows. It's their turn to bask in the lime light once more.

Durrthock
05-31-2008, 09:40 PM
Both companies have top notch case designs though.

The boy 4rm oz
05-31-2008, 10:01 PM
Personally I like the looks of both the Dell XPS and Alienware PCs. I just think Dell are trying to become something they're not.

Eclecticos
06-01-2008, 02:57 AM
Canceling XPS for Alienware?. . Bad Idea.
I would much rather have a 7 Series XPS Gaming PC.
Its the Coolest, and most advanced "stock" setup on the market today IMO.

Instead of paying these analists to tell them what we want they should run a consumer poll.
Alienware?. . pffft. . Where is my sledge hammer? I want to bust flimsy plastic to bits. :D

Better idea. Rename XPS as soon as the 8 series comes along. Or tack a cool name on the end.
Ex. XPS Ultra Super Max. LOL. 8)

Durrthock
06-01-2008, 10:51 PM
Cmon Alienware still offers amd/ati how can you take that seriously.

The boy 4rm oz
06-02-2008, 12:43 AM
Alienware offer ATI/AMD to cater for everyone. If you are a company like them you can't be discriminative about brands and tech. Enthusiasts will always pick what they want and if it's not available then they will spend their money else ware.

Durrthock
06-02-2008, 07:07 PM
Yeah I understand the offer for everyone thing. Just joking