PDA

View Full Version : Where can i get power?!?:S

LuCaZzZ
11-02-2005, 04:01 PM
Ey, another noob Q:S:)
I have this radioclock which can run on a plug or a 12v battery where can i solder these wires, which normally go to a battery, on the comp where there's still power when the comp is turned off??

Malignus Wingnut
11-02-2005, 08:41 PM
K man, first of all, I had to read your post like 5 times to fully understand what you are asking. You really should think out your post more before you type it. Read it to yourself once before submitting it, it helps.

Anyway, when your computer is turned off, as long as the power cable is connected to your PSU, then all the wires of your psu have power. The only thing stopping your computer from turning on is the switch. Any free connector for hard drive / cd drive / floppy drive should have 12v running through it. Mount the clock, cut the connector off your psu wires, strip, solder, should work.

Good luck.

Crimson Sky
11-02-2005, 11:13 PM
You can't get 12v when powered off--only 5volts of standby power from the purple wire on the 20pin mobo connector. Here is a pic to illustrate:

5v StandBy (http://images.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://maharoda.tripod.com/vdr/PICT2817.JPG&imgrefurl=http://maharoda.tripod.com/vdr/index.album%3Fi%3D4&h=600&w=800&sz=103&tbnid=ZH3yxnXFXHoJ:&tbnh=106&tbnw=142&hl=en&start=22&prev=/images%3Fq%3D5v%2Bstandby%26start%3D20%26svnum%3D1 0%26hl%3Den%26lr%3D%26rls%3DDVXA,DVXA:2005-15,DVXA:en%26sa%3DN)

slaveofconvention
11-03-2005, 02:33 AM
Well that answers a couple of those lil niggly things that have been bugging me recently - like why the cheesy LED USB cable I have my printer plugged into still glows when the PC and printer are both turned off lol.

As for 12v, nothing springs to mind immediately unless you can get the old power supply for the clock radio and mod it into the case - you should be able to connect the mains part of it to the 110V (if you're in the US) supply with a little passthru connector, or if you're feeling brave (actually brave is the wrong word - experienced or stupid would be better, when it comes to messing with mains power) you could solder directly to the mains part of the PSU.

This advice is theorhetical only and I would NOT suggest you try unless you KNOW what you are doing. Playing around INSIDE a PSU is a pretty effective way of killing yourself.....

crenn
11-03-2005, 05:35 AM
And it would be fairly shocking experience.

crazybillybob
11-03-2005, 10:54 AM
This advice is theorhetical only and I would NOT suggest you try unless you KNOW what you are doing. Playing around INSIDE a PSU is a pretty effective way of killing yourself.....

If you unplugged it before working on it, Your much safer...(Just stand back and use a dry wooden pole to plug it in :p )

It's harder than you would think to inadvertently kill your self with 120Vac (if you don't have heart problems), Maim now that is way easier.... :D One hard and fast rule of thumb when working with AC keep your left hand in your pocket!!
(Ya I know it sucks if your left handed...but your heart is on the left side of your body too!) This help limit the chance of your dieing, Electricity finds the shortest path to ground. That means if your left or right hand is on the case (ground!) and the other hand touches 120Vac (or more) the electricity goes from one hand to the other....It just happens that your heart sits between these two in your chest and since blood is a good conductor (salt water base with trace metals = good conductor!) It's going to get waaacked! :eek:

If the left hand is in your pocket the normal path to ground is through the right arm down through your right leg...Not pleasant but less lethal. Please Note that I do not Guarantee this will keep you safe, It's a good practice. Never work on any energized circuit (that means unplug it or disconnect the power First!), also note some devices store HUGE amounts of energy for a long time (CRT's are a good example!) so use common sense at all times.

Now I'm also going to say you shouldn't try this at home, get a skilled, trained professional to help you do any high voltage wiring, This make sure your safe and your project doesn't burn down your home or injure someone else accidentally.

If you want to learn more most local Vocational schools (sometimes called Career centers here in the States) have night time adult classes on electrical wiring, there good classes and low cost and hey you may find that your good at it and can get a job in the field! There are also great books on this too!

Just be safe!

Crazybillybob

LuCaZzZ
11-03-2005, 02:29 PM
Sorry, i read my post just now...:S i know what you mean Malignus... I'll just use a battery...

richmandudeus
11-03-2005, 04:02 PM
judging from what you said, i'm guessing you are intagrating it into your pc. If that s the case, if possible; try to cut out the battery housing and rout it to the back of your pc like one of the ide/agp slots so that when you change the battery, you don't have to open your case to do it. You might need some saldering or some glueing but it's just a suggestion. Good luck. :D

Sorry for typos... keyboard cant keep up hehe ;)

slaveofconvention
11-04-2005, 02:34 AM
If you unplugged it before working on it, Your much safer...(Just stand back and use a dry wooden pole to plug it in :p )

It's harder than you would think to inadvertently kill your self with 120Vac

1. Would it be any easier with 230-250Vac? I only ask because thats what we run on this side of the pond :p
2. Unplugging it WILL reduce the chance of danger, but, like monitors, PSU's often have charged capacitors inside em, so you can still get a ickle surprise with it unplugged lol

crazybillybob
11-04-2005, 08:04 AM
1. Would it be any easier with 230-250Vac? I only ask because thats what we run on this side of the pond :p

Yes it would 230-250AC will Kill faster, plus the muscle contractions it causes can break bones!

Moral of the story be careful! Electricity is faster than you are! :D

Crazybillybob

Guttenaffe
11-05-2005, 08:08 PM
Unplugging a PSU wont remove the shock threat, they have some big caps that pack a large jolt. If you get it in the right spot can kill you by getting your heatbeat out of sync.

You gotta bleed the caps with a resistor before working on the mobo, as billybob said (we both from their field and schooling) take some classes if you want to mess around with PSUs and CRTs for that matter.

You may see people like Billybob and I mod a PSU, but we've had hours and hours of classes on this stuff :D nottin beats a good education :)

I don't think there is part of my comp witout some mod being done to it O_o

just for a funny note, your AC runs at 50Hz and therefore you have a higher chance of touching the wire and not getting shocked :D but I wouldn't want to be the one doing the touching.