PDA

View Full Version : Project: Black Penguin

sega01
11-03-2005, 08:55 PM
Project: Black Penguin is here (http://go-beyond.org/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=3).
What do you think?

Rankenphile
11-03-2005, 09:58 PM
My first reaction is to fix the beige. The front of it still looks like an off-the shelf old Dell. The paint job on the rest was a good start, but I would add a stenciled version of the logo on the side in a clean contrasting color. And around the decal you added to the front - it looks like the glue is visible.

Not trying to be mean, just adding my $.02. You've got a nicely shaped case there, and there is a lot you could do with it. I would start with cleaning up the face.

sega01
11-04-2005, 12:07 AM
ill probally work on the front after i get a 5 1/4" bay fan, or somthing else to go there. ill post a pic of the inside some time, its much nicer now with only one hd and a shorter rounded scsi cable. do you think it would be possible to cut the alunimum side with a special dremel piece for a case window? what rpm should i use?

thanks

Rankenphile
11-04-2005, 01:03 AM
It's certainly possible, and is done frequently. As far as RPM, I'm unsure, I know lower for plexi, but I haven't cut much metal. To prevent it from distorting and warping when you cut it, you may find it helpful to clamp the aluminum to a piece of sanded plywood, to give you some support behind it as you make your cuts.

Another method is to use a fine-toothed blade on a jugsaw and cut inside the lines you scribe on your panel. Then detail it with your dremel and file the edges down to where you need them.

crazybillybob
11-04-2005, 08:11 AM
do you think it would be possible to cut the alunimum side with a special dremel piece for a case window? what rpm should i use?

thanks

Yep!
Dermels work great on Alum. For longest life of your disk use a low speed setting, I run my multispeed on 1 no more than 2 and that's for cutting Alum up to 1/4" thick.
The same rules apply when cutting steel...come to think of it I do not ever run much over 3 to do anything...except when polishing.

Nice job, but Ranks right black out that front!

Crazybillybob