PDA

View Full Version : I could not stop laughing at this...

Zephik
06-06-2008, 10:52 AM
AlphaGrip AG-5 PC Gaming and Text Entry Controller

http://cdn-www.cracked.com/articleimages/wong/vgaccess/alpha1.jpg
The idea:
This monstrous controller will increase your efficiency in all your computing duties, from writing email to doing up financial spreadsheets while also allowing you to become the master of every video game ever made.

The Reality:
The AlphaGrip's idea of making things easier is by simplifying the keyboard and mouse that PC gamers are so used to, and cramming it all into one controller. While the average PC game controller has 12 to 15 buttons, the AlphaGrip makes things easier by having only 42. So it's like simplifying Shakespeare by translating it into Klingon.

http://cdn-www.cracked.com/articleimages/wong/vgaccess/alpha2.jpg

Wait, there's more! The 42-key design was to allow all 10 fingers to be in use at the same time. Apparently the makers felt that your pinky finger was getting left out of all the fun. The makers also couldn't think of 42 functions for the buttons so 6 of the buttons are SHIFT keys.
There is a capital-shift, punctuation-shift and number-shift on both the left and right sides of the controller (don't worry, they didn't forget caps lock). The creators obviously know that when you've just died on screen you can never find that shift key fast enough to type out OMG H@XoRz!!!!
If you count the shift-key combos, you can do 700 different functions, none of which will help you get a girlfriend.

Oh Cracked.com, how I love you so...

crenn
06-06-2008, 10:55 AM
Is that an actual product?

Zephik
06-06-2008, 10:57 AM
Is that an actual product?

http://www.alphagrips.com/

:D

crenn
06-06-2008, 10:59 AM
Oh dear..... I have a feeling this isn't going to be seen at many lans any time soon.

IndyRacer27
06-06-2008, 10:11 PM
Looking at that picture, I think it would actually be easier to use than one of those old mini computer keyboards where all the keys are arranged in alphabetical order. At least the correct finger will still be used for each key. I certainly won't be trading in my keyboard! :)

Pointy_Stick
06-07-2008, 12:17 AM
I want one. That is probably the most hilarious thing to happen to the computer world since Steve Ballmer.

Acey
06-07-2008, 12:53 AM
i can only imagine the conversation during the planning phase... imagine one of the dumbass directors saying "l33t" during the proposal...

Quakken
06-07-2008, 01:03 AM
Think about it- it has all the keys of a regular keyboard (albeit, with a tremendous amount of shifts) but IF someone were to spend the time to get used to it and really learn how to type with it, It seems like it would be useful. Comfortable and speedy.

But it would probably take years to learn. You may even need to go back to graduate school.

Zephik
06-07-2008, 01:08 AM
I think I read somewhere that "experienced users" can reach up to 50wpm.

I lol'd needless to say.

XcOM
06-07-2008, 04:54 PM
wow, 50wpm, i can do 60-70 with 95% on a regular keyboard

Omega
06-07-2008, 08:53 PM
wow, 50wpm, i can do 60-70 with 95% on a regular keyboard

yeah, lol

I can do ~95wpm burst (80%) or ~70wpm sustained (95+%)

and this is on an old ass ergonomic keyboard from when I was in middle school

chaksq
06-08-2008, 12:23 AM
First impression was wtf, this has to be a joke or a gimmick. But now I kinda want one, the reason for it makes sense, more comfortable and ergonomic than a normal keyboard plus I can be basically sitting anywhere and type. I type fairly fast on a normal qwerty keyboard but still think this could be useful. I'd definitely like to try one. Also seems like it would make the perfect keyboard for the carputer I eventually intend to build. BTW there is a demo vid out there where a guy supposedly got 71wpm @ 98% accuracy while running on a treadmill. I am of the opinion that there are better input methods for computers, this looks to be a promising step in the right direction.

Quakken
06-08-2008, 12:30 AM
Wow, I just took a typing test (here) (http://www.typingtest.com/default.asp)
And I only got 36 WPM with 75% accuracy. This is touch typing, too. Lame.

Oh well. Kind of sucks, but could be worse, I guess. Maybe I need that crazy device.

Trace
06-08-2008, 01:47 AM
Just took the typing test above:
Net Speed: 60 WPM
(words/minute)
Accuracy: 95%
Gross Speed: 63 WPM
(words/minute)

Lol, not thread hijacking, I promise

XcOM
06-08-2008, 09:02 AM
Net speed: 76 WPM
(words/minute)
Accuracy: 94%
Gross Speed: 78 WPM
(words/minute)

Zephik
06-08-2008, 09:32 AM
Net speed: Chuck Norris WPM
(words/minute)
Accuracy: 10,000%
Gross Speed: 70 Billion WPM
(words/minute)

Yea, beat that!

crenn
06-08-2008, 09:49 AM
Net speed: Chuck Norris WPM
(words/minute)
Accuracy: 10,000%
Gross Speed: 70 Billion WPM
(words/minute)

Yea, beat that!

Google.

There, I beat it :twisted:

Zephik
06-08-2008, 07:29 PM
Google.

There, I beat it :twisted:

Nah, Chuck Norris is way better than Google. Now, Techno Viking on the other hand... he may possibly be the only man in existence that could beat Chuck Norris. lol