PDA

View Full Version : Strange Computer Problem

Indybird
06-11-2008, 03:21 PM
I just got a new computer from a computer that someone was going to throw away. It was a Dell Poweredge 400SC:
http://www.ccworld.co.uk/images/dellserver.jpg

I took it because it is a very moddable case and it opens like this:
http://www.nighttimeit.com/images/100_2400.JPG
...Which is cool in itself.

Anyway, I ripped all of the dell junk out, drilled my own motherboard mounts (because dell used a locking mechanism not stand-offs) and mounted a Micro-ATX motherboard from a Sony Vaio. The computer runs fine when I have the side panel open. However the second I close it, Windows blue screens and the computer restarts. While starting up windows says it is missing files and won't start up. Mind you, all I did was close it. After careful observation I noticed that this only happens when only the top portion "clicks" into place.

Does anyone have any idea whats going on here?

-Indybird

By the way, I'll be doing some serious modding on this computer in the near future.

Enigma
06-11-2008, 03:42 PM
Wow it almost sounds like there is some sort of switch there in the side panel, but that cannot be !?!?!?
Very strange anyway !!!

Maybe there some hidden cables you havent seen or something where the side opens ?

nevermind1534
06-11-2008, 03:45 PM
On my optiplex with a similar case, there is a button that can tell the computer when it's closed or been open. You should also check to see that it doesn't move, disconnect, etc anything when you close it.

Indybird
06-11-2008, 04:25 PM
It had a Chassis Intrusion button like you said, but not only did I not plug it in to the new mobo, but I couldn't.

Also, like I said I can essentially close it down to the last millimeter, but once the latch clicks in it shuts off and won't start.

-Indybird

nevermind1534
06-11-2008, 04:26 PM
strange

Airbozo
06-11-2008, 06:52 PM
Knowing those systems (and the subsequent models based on the same chassis), I would wager there is a cable in the way or some part of the chassis is touching the mobo when it clicks shut.

FuzzyPlushroom
06-11-2008, 07:06 PM
Knowing those systems (and the subsequent models based on the same chassis), I would wager there is a cable in the way or some part of the chassis is touching the mobo when it clicks shut.

I'd bet on the same thing. It's got to be closing on the IDE cable.

nevermind1534
06-11-2008, 07:19 PM
In that case, the IDE cable is in the right spot to be sandwiched between the two halves and folded, possibly ruining the cord, or at least disrupting the connection.

Indybird
06-11-2008, 09:04 PM
I checked the IDE cables and they are definitely fine. Im ultra sure its nothing cable related because I can close the case all the way up until the final click of the top handle locking.

It can't be shorting the motherboard because when the bottom side touches it doesn't do anything, only the top. And the top and bottom are one piece of metal.

-Indybird

nevermind1534
06-11-2008, 09:15 PM
Could the hard drive have become unbalanced somehow? I know it's very unlikely, but I guess anything is possible.

Khuz360
06-12-2008, 10:17 AM
Try having a look at the click mechanism as in the actual bit that makes the click sound if that makes any sense

slytherock
06-12-2008, 11:20 AM
sound like there's a short somewhere, I second the IDE cable.

Indybird
06-12-2008, 11:42 PM
What should I do to fix this?

Thanks,
Indybird

Crazy Buddhist
06-13-2008, 03:42 AM
Have you left the original PSU in there? just a guess but if its Dell stuff the Chasis intrusion could be directly linked into the PSU. Dell do weird stuff no one else does. I would go into the BIOS with the case open and see if Chasis intrusion is enabled. If it is then disable it, close the case and see if you have lift-off. Most dells have Chasis intrusion even if you didn't find it yet!

Crazy

Indybird
06-13-2008, 09:15 PM
I've narrowed down the possibilities. The problem is either coming from the CD-ROM Drive, its IDE Cable, or the motherboard not agreeing w/ my IDE drives config. When the CD IDE cable is unplugged it will work just fine closed. This still makes absolutely no sense because, like I said before, I can close the case down to the very last millimeter (no exaggeration), but any further will kill the computer.

Does anyone know why closing the case another millimeter would kill the IDE or disk drive?

Thanks,
Indybird

nevermind1534
06-13-2008, 09:38 PM
Did you try it with a different IDE cable yet?

HackSore
06-14-2008, 03:06 PM
Well, CBs post seems logical, thats what i would look into.

The only other thing i can think of that hasnt already been mentioned is the possibility of something pressing against the molex wires on the cd drive connector when the chassis is closed and causing the molex connection to short/disconnect.
From the pictures you posted its hard to judge the distance, but it looks as though the psu and cd drive could be pretty close to each other when the case is closed, and if you added a new psu or cd drive of different size, it could be pressing on something.
could even be a dodgy connection on the molex plug or even elsewhere requiring only a tiny amount of pressure to cause problems, which would tie in with you being able to shut the case almost all the way with no problems.
Its a long shot but worth thinking about.

PartyLikeARockstar
07-24-2008, 12:23 PM
I'm going with (in order)

a)IDE issues, cable or otherwise
b)a short

Have you checked the BIOS to make sure the IRQ assignment isn't nuts? Try a CMOS clear, then boot up again and see what happens. Also, you're not sharing an IDE between the 2 drives are you?

PartyLikeARockstar
07-24-2008, 12:27 PM
also

you said you drilled out your own mounts, try to put the little rubber/plastic/paper washers on your standoffs, if you haven't. you might be shorting from that somehow

Crazy Buddhist
07-25-2008, 07:34 AM
I've narrowed down the possibilities. The problem is either coming from the CD-ROM Drive,

A. Not this one as it works when open.

or the motherboard not agreeing w/ my IDE drives config.

B. Well it is not this one either or you would have the same problem open or closed so we can rule that out.

its IDE Cable,

C. Could be this as others have suggested - that the IDE cable is getting shorted, the connectors are getting squeezed or the molex to the CD getting shorted when the box shuts.

When the CD IDE cable is unplugged it will work just fine closed. This still makes absolutely no sense because, like I said before, I can close the case down to the very last millimeter (no exaggeration), but any further will kill the computer.

This really makes me think you have to look at all the possibilities under answer C above. Something about that case closing is shorting/compromising the connectors.

Does anyone know why closing the case another millimeter would kill the IDE or disk drive?

For the reasons stated above. Only those or a chasis intrusion switch you have missed.

Crazy

Indybird
07-25-2008, 11:22 PM
also

you said you drilled out your own mounts, try to put the little rubber/plastic/paper washers on your standoffs, if you haven't. you might be shorting from that somehow

I should probably try that, theres a good chance thats it. +rep

A. Not this one as it works when open.

B. Well it is not this one either or you would have the same problem open or closed so we can rule that out.

C. Could be this as others have suggested - that the IDE cable is getting shorted, the connectors are getting squeezed or the molex to the CD getting shorted when the box shuts.

This really makes me think you have to look at all the possibilities under answer C above. Something about that case closing is shorting/compromising the connectors.

For the reasons stated above. Only those or a chasis intrusion switch you have missed.

Crazy

Wow, thanks for going through everything. I suppose it does have to be a short of some kind. +rep

What I don't get though is that the door is one big piece of metal, as is the main part; I don't get why only the top part of the door shorts it and not the bottom...

Thanks,
Indybird