PDA

View Full Version : A+ Certification question

Drum Thumper
06-17-2008, 06:36 PM
I've got a prospective employer that is requiring that I get my A+ certification (IT Tech; Essentials test and the 220-602 test) before hiring me. I've got no problem with that, as I've been meaning to take this test for a little bit now.

My question is this: Do I need one or two vouchers? I've been told two by a somewhat reliable source, and I wish to confirm it before I drop the $326 on the vouchers.

Thanks in advance guys.

DT

.Maleficus.
06-17-2008, 07:11 PM
I could use some A+ info as well. I too have been meaning to get it done, but the closest testing site is ~45 minutes away from me now.

SgtM
06-17-2008, 11:21 PM
The A+ is two teses, core hardware and core software, so you'll need a voucher for both tests. BTW, I did get your PM about M$ certs. We need to hook up on IM.

http://certification.comptia.org/a/

Drum Thumper
06-17-2008, 11:34 PM
Two vouchers. Yay.

Rick, thanks for getting back to me on this. I'm on IM right now, you know where to find me.

Eclecticos
06-18-2008, 06:29 AM
Certs are overrated. Though if required. . easily obtained with a peanut brain. No offense.
The people that brag about having them usually don't know there ass from a hole in the ground. :D

Drum Thumper
06-18-2008, 10:13 AM
Certs are overrated. Though if required. . easily obtained with a peanut brain. No offense.
The people that brag about having them usually don't know there ass from a hole in the ground. :D

I feel the same way, especially about the A+ certification. My original plans did not call for A+, as I'm nearly done with my AAS in IT.

But I want the hell out of retail, so I guess I got to buck up.

Fuganater
06-18-2008, 11:00 AM
A+ is a very good cert to have when starting out. I interview along with 7 other class mates for a internship and I was hired because of my certs. It shows the employers that you are willing to go out and get certified in what you know.

After this go for your MCP, then MCSA and MCSE. With those you will have no problem getting an IT job.

Drum Thumper
06-18-2008, 11:44 PM
After this go for your MCP, then MCSA and MCSE. With those you will have no problem getting an IT job.

I'm also going to throw Network+ and Linux+ in as well, along with the Microsoft certs.

Zeus
06-20-2008, 07:10 PM

I think this depends on the cert in question. In regards to the A+, this is only an entry level cert. It should only be required for entry level positions. Also, I think certs should be given appropriate weight only in comparison to work experience. When an employer says they require an A+ but an applicant has 3+ years work experience in the industry, I say hire em. ( or at least give em a fair shake )

BUT Here is the great equalizer...YOU know what they are worth, and I know what they are worth, but employers don't. They are not in the know about tech stuff and can only judge by what is palpable. They often have no real way of testing a prospective employee's knowledge in this subject matter. Requiring a particular cert at least guarantees them a modicum of knowledge in the field. THAT is the reason why they are so popular and important to have.

simon275
06-20-2008, 11:53 PM
If would also recommend grabbing something from Cisco like a CCNA. I am going for mine soon.